Will the iPad Mini 3 - with no cell or gps work with "Follow Me" feature in new firmware?

Reaction score
I use the iPad Mini 3 NO cell nor GPS, exclusively for my P3P. I read in DJI page that transmiter and cellphone GPS are used for the Follow Me feature. Question: what if I tether mobile hotspot from my actual cellphone into my iPad Mini 3, would I be able to use this feature. Would it work the same as using a tablet having GPS?

Any thougts greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
There's going to be a similar issue with Autopilot - they tested this bluetooth GPS device - Dual Electronics XGPS150A - and said it worked well. The iPad 3 Mini also doesn't have a barometer, which apparently is the preferred method for accurate height. I've ordered the bluetooth GPS - should be here Wednesday - I can let you know how that goes, if you like.

As to tethering - not sure if that would work. It could be a bluetooth connection but not sure that translates to sharing the GPS. I'll be looking around for answers on that and will post back if I find anything.

Anyway - hope this helps a little!

Reactions: richardseguro
There's going to be a similar issue with Autopilot - they tested this bluetooth GPS device - Dual Electronics XGPS150A - and said it worked well. The iPad 3 Mini also doesn't have a barometer, which apparently is the preferred method for accurate height. I've ordered the bluetooth GPS - should be here Wednesday - I can let you know how that goes, if you like.

As to tethering - not sure if that would work. It could be a bluetooth connection but not sure that translates to sharing the GPS. I'll be looking around for answers on that and will post back if I find anything.

Interesting, didn't realize they made those.
For $100 it seems like it would be better to just upgrade to a cellular tablet w/ GPS built in...

UPDATE: After a little searching I've come to the conclusion that an external GPS is the way to go. The one I mentioned above is $99 (US), and is mentioned in multiple articles. Here's a link to an article that talks to using an external GPS on the non-cell enabled iPads

Choosing the right iPad GPS - tips for pilots - iPad Pilot News

Note in the article it states that most pilots use and external GPS even if their iPad is cell enabled, for accuracy etc - quite telling!

Anywho - that's it for now - hope that helps!

Interesting, didn't realize they made those.
For $100 it seems like it would be better to just upgrade to a cellular tablet w/ GPS built in...

@Cerone - you could - but the price difference between an iPad 3 Mini Wifi, and one with cell services is around $130 - not a major difference but a difference none the less. There are probably other options - but - if you already have a device it would make sense to use the external GPS. Just my opinion ...nothing more! :)

UPDATE: After a little searching I've come to the conclusion that an external GPS is the way to go.

Well...I did some online research and agree in my case, that an external XGPS150A would do as you well mentioned.

As I have the mini3 already I'd rather go for the external.

By the way, just bought it on eBay $87.

BTW, the reason an external GPS is preferred by pilots is the techno fact that iPads connect GPS but through cell tower and on ground level. Supposedly if a pilot is airborne he/she might loose signal and it will be impossible to regain.

Will keep this thread updated as the next couple of weeks I will be testing P3P/iPad Mini/XGPS150A.

Blue skies to you!

Reactions: Steve Shead
Sounds like a plan - good luck and safe flying! I'll let you know how mine comes along also.

Blue skies to you also!

The big question is how the follow me is going to work with the new firmware.
Has DJI allowed follow-me to use a tethered device to connect to? Litchi has this option, and is referred as Leash. This is where the subjects GPS device connects to the Pilots Device via BT. The phantom will then follow the subject's device. This is so the subject doesn't have to carry around the controller+device and have it visable in the footage. I hope DJI has thought this through as its very hard to hide the big white controller when you are skateboarding, riding, etc..

If your Ipad/apple device does not have gps, then you may want to wait and see how follow me works.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Shead
iPad mini 4 has got a barometer. I'll wait.

Since new iPads were announced yesterday you can get a brand new iPad Mini 2 cellular edition with GPS for $329 on amazon. The iPad mini 2 is exactly the same is iPad mini 3, it just doesn't have touchID.

Today I got suckered in and ordered the iPad Mini 4 since the speed increase will be nice. $595 with tax OUCH!

I just bought an iPad mini 2. Should I return it and get the cellular version? What will I get out of it?

I just bought an iPad mini 2. Should I return it and get the cellular version? What will I get out of it?

I would return it and get iPad Mini 2 cellular version. You'll get GPS. I'd upgrade from any WIFI only iPad. No need to get the iPad Mini 4. It's just faster with touchID.

Apple only includes GPS on iPads with cellular features. GPS is required for follow me mode or setting a dynamic home point.

I would return it and get iPad Mini 2 cellular version. You'll get GPS. I'd upgrade from any WIFI only iPad. No need to get the iPad Mini 4. It's just faster with touchID.

Apple only includes GPS on iPads with cellular features. GPS is required for follow me mode or setting a dynamic home point.
Gotta love drones.. Finally got everything set up now I'm going to get a cellular version. I bought it from Walmart. Will they offer the cellular version or will I need to go to best buy? Already a Verizon customer.

I'm assuming its monthly? I already have a large enough phone bill(iphone5). Can I get just a data plan rather then a $50 a month deal?

Gotta love drones.. Finally got everything set up now I'm going to get a cellular version. I bought it from Walmart. Will they offer the cellular version or will I need to go to best buy? Already a Verizon customer.

Walmart took them off the website. But check in store, you may find some units left. But make sure their prices changed to reflect yesterday's announcement. Don't pay more than $300 max.

First thing:

1) Return your ipad ASAP
2) Apple's been trying to get everyone to remove the iPad Mini 2 Cellular because then they can't justifying keep prices so high on Mini 3. So go buy one on eBay or amazon has about 3 left of the verizon model.

$258. Probably the same price you paid for your WIFI model from Walmart:

iPad mini 2 in "iPads, Tablets and eBook Readers " | eBay

Walmart should offer it. But make sure their prices changed to reflect yesterday's announcement.

First thing:

1) Return your ipad ASAP
2) Apple's been trying to get everyone to remove the iPad Mini 2 Cellular because then they can't justifying keep prices so high on Mini 3. So go buy one on eBay or amazon has about 3 left of the verizon model.

$258. Probably the same price you paid for your WIFI model from Walmart:

iPad mini 2 in "iPads, Tablets and eBook Readers " | eBay
Correct. $250 wifi. How about the plan? Any way to keep it cheap just using it a few hours a week?

I use the iPad Mini 3 NO cell nor GPS, exclusively for my P3P. I read in DJI page that transmiter and cellphone GPS are used for the Follow Me feature. Question: what if I tether mobile hotspot from my actual cellphone into my iPad Mini 3, would I be able to use this feature. Would it work the same as using a tablet having GPS?

Any thougts greatly appreciated!!

Nope that won't work. Where I live craigslist prices don't adjust for a few weeks when Apple announces a new product line. Consider selling your iPad Mini 3 on craigslist $20 cheeper than everyone else. Then take the cash and buy iPad Mini 2 with cellular for the same price. They are the exact same iPad only the mini 2 doesn't have touchID. Literally the same iPad. You'll probably actually come out with a little bit of cash in your pocket…

Correct. $250 wifi. How about the plan? Any way to keep it cheap just using it a few hours a week?

It's all pay as you go. You just put $10 on and get 3GB of data or something. Not that you need it. You can still use GPS without ever having cell access. So Don't even bother activating cell service unless you want internet and updated maps while flying.

I'm assuming its monthly? I already have a large enough phone bill(iphone5). Can I get just a data plan rather then a $50 a month deal?

All data plan available on the iPad are contract free and pay as you go. So I think AT&T is like $10 gets you 3GB or something like that. But you do not have to active cellular internet ever. You are getting it for the GPS chip. Internet is not needed to fly your drone. So don't pay for service if you are't going to use it.

It's all pay as you go. You just put $10 on and get 3GB of data or something. Not that you need it. You can still use GPS without ever having cell access. So Don't even bother activating cell service unless you want internet and updated maps while flying.

Having a tough time finding one local.. Maybe I'll order one and return mine when the new one arrives.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl