Will the Butterflies ever leave?

Yea, put it behind ya'.

R/C aircraft crash.
Quads have no redundancy.
If you fly long enough you will experience mishaps.

It's only been about 3 months since I got my P3P. I don't know if butterflies will ever leave. Every time I read that someone crashed or someone lost their drone, I think I could be next. I already had a minor crash and glad no serious damage. I swore that would never happen again. I read about people doing their pre checks and plan their missions right but somehow something still goes wrong. I always worry about that just before I launch. But then after I get the bird in the air, instinct takes over and 15 minutes seems like 3 minutes. Sometimes because of too much concentration, I forget to have fun. Sometimes I forget to get those great shots because I'm worrying about something going wrong, looking at battery level, gps status, etc. But one thing that always happens after the bird is back on the ground, especially after a long successful waypoint mission, I'm always amazed what the bird just accomplished. Then I just want to pop that next battery in and do it again. I have to learn not to worry too much and just go and have fun. After all that's what it's all about. Hopefully one day there will be less butterflies. It's good to have some to keep you alert.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

:)

I feel the same at times, 20 minutes seems forever and glad it lands safely. Other times it's, "Wow! It's way up there getting slapped by the wind and it might fall!" Sometimes I get dizzy watching the screen too, but I have gotten airsick prior to becoming a real plane pilot where that matter subsided as the aviation doc said a lot of pilot's do once they are in control of the plane and they loose that feeling for some reason. Maybe time will make me more comfortable as with normal aircraft. How much time is the unknown. Regular pilot's license was 40 hours in the air, so maybe 80 flights of the drone to become comfortable with them too? That and trying to get some faith in these things where too many glitches often occur at times which is unsettling. If the number of drone glitches occurred in a regular aircraft I would have stopped flying those real things long ago.

I got a laugh out of someone who put FPV goggles on someone for a "Pilot's seat view" from a racing drone's perspective. They got nauseous too, and were standing on their toes at times yelling like the earth had left them or they were going to hit something. Flying 85 MPH through a racing drone's obstacle course is unsettling, unless one is some super-proficient gamer or something.

Reactions: MX DAD
It's only been about 3 months since I got my P3P. I don't know if butterflies will ever leave. Every time I read that someone crashed or someone lost their drone, I think I could be next. I already had a minor crash and glad no serious damage. I swore that would never happen again. I read about people doing their pre checks and plan their missions right but somehow something still goes wrong. I always worry about that just before I launch. But then after I get the bird in the air, instinct takes over and 15 minutes seems like 3 minutes. Sometimes because of too much concentration, I forget to have fun. Sometimes I forget to get those great shots because I'm worrying about something going wrong, looking at battery level, gps status, etc. But one thing that always happens after the bird is back on the ground, especially after a long successful waypoint mission, I'm always amazed what the bird just accomplished. Then I just want to pop that next battery in and do it again. I have to learn not to worry too much and just go and have fun. After all that's what it's all about. Hopefully one day there will be less butterflies. It's good to have some to keep you alert.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

That is very well said and seems identical to my experience as well. Sometimes I feel like I need a horse tranquiler to calm me down, but other times I am able to calm the nerves and concentrate on the pics/vids. Crazy good stuff.

:)

I feel the same at times, 20 minutes seems forever and glad it lands safely. Other times it's, "Wow! It's way up there getting slapped by the wind and it might fall!" Sometimes I get dizzy watching the screen too, but I have gotten airsick prior to becoming a real plane pilot where that matter subsided as the aviation doc said a lot of pilot's do once they are in control of the plane and they loose that feeling for some reason. Maybe time will make me more comfortable as with normal aircraft. How much time is the unknown. Regular pilot's license was 40 hours in the air, so maybe 80 flights of the drone to become comfortable with them too? That and trying to get some faith in these things where too many glitches often occur at times which is unsettling. If the number of drone glitches occurred in a regular aircraft I would have stopped flying those real things long ago.

I got a laugh out of someone who put FPV goggles on someone for a "Pilot's seat view" from a racing drone's perspective. They got nauseous too, and were standing on their toes at times yelling like the earth had left them or they were going to hit something. Flying 85 MPH through a racing drone's obstacle course is unsettling, unless one is some super-proficient gamer or something.

LOL. Still laughing at the person with Goggles yelling at the ground, tip toes..... LOL. Good stuff.

Along those lines, while I was playing golf, 3-4 baby rabbits (tiny ones) came running out of their hole and just running around going crazy. I was trying to catch em and put em back when I noticed some birds were trying to dive bomb the baby rabbits. So I started running around, waving my arms while shouting SHOE.

My buddy later said he saw others looking at me and could only imagine what they were thinking about this crazy guy. No way they couldve seen the baby rabbits, just me running circles in a field, waving arms and hollering SHOE. Haha

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj