Will older style compass work in place of new integrated

Reaction score
Can anybody please tell me if the older style compass (clamps on the landing leg) works in place of new (integrated into landing leg) compass? The new one is labeled "anti-static" what ever that means (assuming less interference from whatever)... the plug into the main board looks the same.

I want to use an older one so I can mount he compass on wider taller landing gear.... or differently all together if I employ retractable gear.

CactusJackSlade said:
Can anybody please tell me if the older style compass (clamps on the landing leg) works in place of new (integrated into landing leg) compass? The new one is labeled "anti-static" what ever that means (assuming less interference from whatever)... the plug into the main board looks the same.

I want to use an older one so I can mount he compass on wider taller landing gear.... or differently all together if I employ retractable gear.

Not directly an answer to your question (because I don't know), with judicious and careful use of a dremel, you could use the new compass on your planned setup.

EITHER WAY: keep in mind NO compass can be used on the retractable landing gear. The compass should always remain at the correct orientation.

Use a stub to hold the compass. Theoretically (I've done this with an older style compass), you can cut the leg, leaving just the upright portion, and mounting portion, and screw that in. Make it a back leg stub, and it won't ever get into your field of view. Use longer screws to screw it in along with the retractable landing gear.

Top to bottom:
- Body
- Retractable mount piece
- Leg stub
- Long screws

I will be testing this soon. I posted a similar question to DJI's forum, but didn't get a suitable answer.

I have the Phantom 2 v2, and have mounted a taller, wider landing gear. The supplied compass is taped to the leg and works fine. But like you Jack, I want to fix the compass to the leg, so ordered the original compass (and leg) and plan to fit it.

As far as I can see, the "anti-static" part consists of the compass module mounted in a pocket on the leg, with a cover and piece of foam to keep it in place. I can't see any protection like, for example, the copper tape over the GPS on the underside of the top cover.

Full disection, and report, when the compass arrives.

you can buy a bracket off ebay to mount the compass if using aftermarket legs
IMG_1945_zps870e3c2c.jpg

CactusJackSlade said:

You can use any compass module that's electrically compatible. I suspect that DJI is using something like an HMC5883L Magnetometer. What is important is that the compass not change position because these solid state magnetometers are very inclination sensitive. A little tilt introduces heading errors.
I have absolutely no clue what they mean by "anti-static". Magnetometers are not sensitive to static- at least not any more than any other IC component.

I am also watching this post. I have new landing gear wider and taller but do not want to cause issues with the enclosed compass on the P2v2 hopefully we can come up with a good solution. The Zenmuse h3-3d Gopro lays on the ground when powered off and need more height

DJIquadzilla said:
I am also watching this post. I have new landing gear wider and taller but do not want to cause issues with the enclosed compass on the P2v2 hopefully we can come up with a good solution. The Zenmuse h3-3d Gopro lays on the ground when powered off and need more height
I have also considered these...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 888
DJIquadzilla said:
DJIquadzilla said:
I have also considered these...

The problem is that the stock portion will still show in frame.

DJIquadzilla said:
The stock landing gear?

Those look like landing gear extensions, meaning the extensions get attached to the stock landing gear. Those will still be in frame.

DJIquadzilla said:
Yes I am sure you're correct hmmmm back to the think tank lol

These work well on medium angle (not ultra wide, and not wide during crazy maneuvers or wind).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZ4YLSY/

This video was shot on medium angle using a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition, and you'll note there's no legs in shot, including when I had the GoPro facing straight down.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo4c_-C9X8Y[/youtube]

RobertMfromLI said:
EITHER WAY: keep in mind NO compass can be used on the retractable landing gear. The compass should always remain at the correct orientation.

Yes, I plan to just make a bracket - or an old leg like you suggested.

I should have an old style compass here on Wednesday.... DJI tech said it would work, and I have no reason to think it will not. After I get this Phantom checked out and in the air I will start playing around with retracts on my other one :mrgreen:

My old-style compass arrived this morning and the first thing to say is that, compared to the new "anti-static" compass, they are different.

They look similar from the front, but the as you can see from the image below, the circuit layout is different. I tried removing the old circuit from the carrier - in case it was easy, and replace with the new compass - but it looks like it is stuck in, and the circuit boards are different sizes and shapes, so won't fit anyway.

I will do a calibration and take it for a flight this afternoon to check.

Attachments

• compass.jpg
    compass.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,104
Good news! Everything worked as expected. The Phantom 2 v2 didn't seem to mind having the compass changed for the v1 version, and mounted on the leg in its housing.

Please note: this worked for me and my setup. It is in no way a validation of swapping old and new. Test your setup extensively before drawing your own conclusions.

I can also confirm that the installed old style compass in place of the integrated one works just fine.... and now I have my taller/wider legs :)

CactusJackSlade said:
I can also confirm that the installed old style compass in place of the integrated one works just fine.... and now I have my taller/wider legs :)

I'm so glad i found this thread after 3 days of trying to figure out how to install the wider/taller landing gear on my Phantom 2 v3.0 with the shielded compass attached. I was giving up and i was thinking of using a Dremel to remove the new compass and attach it somehow.

Now, thanks to your posts, i can purchase the old compas and just replace it. Do you guys have a part number that i can use to buy direct from DJI or maybe Amazon? Thanks, Ed

PilotNYC said:
CactusJackSlade said:

I'm so glad i found this thread after 3 days of trying to figure out how to install the wider/taller landing gear on my Phantom 2 v3.0 with the shielded compass attached. I was giving up and i was thinking of using a Dremel to remove the new compass and attach it somehow.

Now, thanks to your posts, i can purchase the old compas and just replace it. Do you guys have a part number that i can use to buy direct from DJI or maybe Amazon? Thanks, Ed

This is the compass I ordered for my Phantom 2: http://www.allerc.com/dji-phantom-replacement-compass-p-7829.html $15

It looks like there is also one for the Vision: http://www.allerc.com/dji-phantom-2-vision-part-12-compass-p-8577.html $19

They look identical to me, I have no idea what the difference might be...

So now that it has been a month or so since a couple have tired this, is everything working fine?

I have a set of wider/taller landing gear and wanting to install them on my 2 V2.0. Mostly I want to get my GoPro up off the ground. I don't what to hack apart the existing legs to get to the compass. If I can buy the old compass and make it work then that would be great. I like that small compass mount extension that someone else posted too.

newdayoutdoors said:
So now that it has been a month or so since a couple have tired this, is everything working fine?

I have a set of wider/taller landing gear and wanting to install them on my 2 V2.0. Mostly I want to get my GoPro up off the ground. I don't what to hack apart the existing legs to get to the compass. If I can buy the old compass and make it work then that would be great. I like that small compass mount extension that someone else posted too.

Yes, still all good using old style compass :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31