Will I lose signal in an orchard?

Reaction score
I need to make a film and need to fly my Phantom 2 V2 with Hero4 Silver Gopro in certain environments.

1) I need to fly in an orchard. The trees are tall enough that when the phantom passes behind a trunk, the signal may be lost for 1/2 sec at most.

2) Yes, I know this is a bit risky, but I got to do this...but I also need to fly into a dining hall. I will start outside and go through an open double door about 10 feet in, then come back out back out the front, then fly up (outside).
There is a wooden pole that is 1 foot wide on the front porch that may block the signal (again for maybe 1/2 second).

Now my question is this. I read that if the signal is lost for 3 seconds, then the phantom will go to RTH mode.
So, am I safe to do what wanted in part 1 and 2 above (as far as the signal goes)?

All you can do is experiment. Try different places to stand to keep in contact.
Being within a hundred feet or so of the bird, you should not lose a signal going around a trunk.

I need to make a film and need to fly my Phantom 2 V2 with Hero4 Silver Gopro in certain environments.

1) I need to fly in an orchard. The trees are tall enough that when the phantom passes behind a trunk, the signal may be lost for 1/2 sec at most.

2) Yes, I know this is a bit risky, but I got to do this...but I also need to fly into a dining hall. I will start outside and go through an open double door about 10 feet in, then come back out back out the front, then fly up (outside).
There is a wooden pole that is 1 foot wide on the front porch that may block the signal (again for maybe 1/2 second).

Now my question is this. I read that if the signal is lost for 3 seconds, then the phantom will go to RTH mode.
So, am I safe to do what wanted in part 1 and 2 above (as far as the signal goes)?

If you loss video feed for 3 seconds doesn't mean you've lost signal between RC and P2. So why would you put yourself in a position that would block signal to the P2 in the first place?

In the orchard trees will block signal if you have enough between you and the Phantom. Try to find a good takeoff site that gives you a clear view above the trees.
For indoors you should fly in atti. Your Phantom will automatically default to atti but you don't want GPS cutting in and out if the windows etc allow your Phantom to see enough sats. Practice flying in atti outdoors first to understand how the Phantom will handle. You don't want to be learning indoors.

If you loss video feed for 3 seconds doesn't mean you've lost signal between RC and P2. So why would you put yourself in a position that would block signal to the P2 in the first place?

Hmm, lets think for a minute, oh wait, it only takes a second. A paycheck. Sheesh.

And back to your question rockhoundrob,
What Meta4 said = +1 & practice.

If possible, you could consider a lift of some sort to get above the trees, maybe get one from a local equipment rental place - of course, money might be a factor.

Don't forget your prop guards!

It is aways good to think through your flight some call it a flight plan. Just a couple suggestion, one recuit some friends to maintain eye contact at all times, and two go to your computer and switch from RTH to on lost of signal just land. You can always get it out of a tree as long as you know which tree it is in, but to climb to 60 feet in indoors probably would not work out so good.

ATTI mode... now that a good idea! I need to try that. I got the Phantom 1 month ago and flew in GPS mode, Course Lock and Home Lock, but forgot about ATTI! I refuse to fly in manual!

I have one important question. How long have been flying quafcopters.

Hmm, lets think for a minute, oh wait, it only takes a second. A paycheck. Sheesh.

And back to your question rockhoundrob,
What Meta4 said = +1 & practice.

What I meant by that statement was if he lost video signal 3 sec didn't mean that he lost RC connection and RTH. But you can interpret it any way you wish. :rolleyes:

It does make my reply look silly, when you put it like that. :oops:

I have been flying the phantom for 1 month, ( maybe 15 flights). but i have played with a Hubsan H107L for 2 months.

I am 99% sure I can control the Phantom and my flight plan. I just want to be prepared for surprises.
Another thing I need to do based on info above is to set it to land when I lose signal and not RTH !

I have been flying the phantom for 1 month, ( maybe 15 flights). but i have played with a Hubsan H107L for 2 months.

I am 99% sure I can control the Phantom and my flight plan. I just want to be prepared for surprises.
Another thing I need to do based on info above is to set it to land when I lose signal and not RTH !

The hubsan is in no way a Phantom. Your flight plan should include you being in a position to have full control and sight of you craft at all times. You can not relay on FPV to fly around corners as there isn't any depth perception on that monitor or even when you are looking directly at it.

If you are trying to put together a video for a customer it isn't done in one flight but many smaller ones. That is where editing software comes into play many takes put together.

Just one more thing. GOOD LUCK!!! Cause you're going to need it.

No .. prop guards cause more problems than they prevent.
Don't use prop guards.

I have exactly the OPPOSITE opinion.

EDIT: No offence Meta4, I am sure you don't run into as much stuff as me.

Last edited:
Manual mode = Pilot

Atti./GPS-Atti.= Operator

(Flame suit donned)

Fair comment. Manual mode is more like the way control surfaces behave in a regular fixed wing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20