Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?

I went ahead and ordered this Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Aviator Hoods

What I've been reading about FPV via HDMI on the P3A leaves me to wonder if perhaps I won't be very satisfied with the picture quality. I would have to spend $100 for the HDMI card, then $400-$500 for FPV goggles.

Most of us are happy with the image beamed to our tablets (Ipad, Android, etc) but universally complain about sun washing out the screen.

I went ahead and ordered this Drone Aviator hood kit (includes HAV2 & HAV2E) - HAV2KIT in Aviator Hoods

What I've been reading about FPV via HDMI on the P3A leaves me to wonder if perhaps I won't be very satisfied with the picture quality. I would have to spend $100 for the HDMI card, then $400-$500 for FPV goggles.

Most of us are happy with the image beamed to our tablets (Ipad, Android, etc) but universally complain about sun washing out the screen.
I wonder about a Google-cardboard or similar, like this: http://amzn.com/B0146DF02O

I would think it would work well and is very inexpensive. Anyone have experience with this, or similar?
71FjiAVTA7L._SL1500_.jpg

If you are living in US, I wonder what is the point of flying with one of these FPV goggles since FAA will make it illegal to fly FPV soon?

I wonder about a Google-cardboard or similar, like this: Amazon.com: Mimuler Plastic Version Google Cardboard Adjust Cardboard 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses Adjust Cardboard VR BOX Virtual Reality 3D Glasses For iPhone 6 Samsung 4.7- 6inch: Electronics

I would think it would work well and is very inexpensive. Anyone have experience with this, or similar?
View attachment 37609
Be aware that VR goggles crop the image you see versus what the Phantom camera sees. You lose about 50% of the image, it crops off about 25% on each side. This allows the image to fit in the 1080X960 half screen of the display (usually your phone is 1080X1920). This is because VR goggles split the screen and create two images, one for each eye. Most people don't like it after realizing how things are cropped to fit the display size. You will never see the exact image the camera is recording, which defeats the purpose of aerial photography.

If you're just flying for fun, then VR goggles are definitely a fun option, especially using the software that allows you to control the drone with your head movements. However that's not something that interests me, given the investment in the air. I'd rather control the drone with my hands and see 100% what the camera sees.

Can you share a review of performance?
Nothing special about them or thir performance buddy. I use them when the sun is too bright so i can see better than in would with the tablet. The hdmi module feeds 720p res on them but it looks a bit worse than that to me. Any way they do the job.

We all deal with screen washout. How is the FPV experience? And is it fair to assume that many HDMI glasses can accept the signal from the controller?

Also, I believe the HDMI signal is going out from controller and in to glasses directly instead out out of tablet and in to glasses, correct? Can the controller also send simultaneous signal to tablet via USB?

I'm new to flying but quickly realized daytime flight is less enjoyable due to the inability to see much screen detail. Goggles seem a bit too large for my taste and glasses might be the perfect compromise.
Yes from the RC to the glasses not from the tablet. U just get a video feed with very basic telemetry and no maps nothing like the app.

VR Box can't be used straight away as it looks for split images. If you want to use VR Box or Google Cardboard, you may need to use apps like Litchi or Fpv Camera.

Also you need to use USB port of RC, that means DJI go app will not be available when you are using that port for Fpv goggle.

I use goggle on HDMI port and DJI app on USB simultaneously and get best of both.

I wonder about a Google-cardboard or similar, like this: http://amzn.com/B0146DF02O

View attachment 37609

So I have the HDMI board in my P3P and it is awesome using the Sony HMZ-T3W. It is awesome to have the headset plugged in and let a co-flyer use the goggles, they are typically dumbfounded and saying "Wow I have never..."

So I have the HDMI board in my P3P and it is awesome using the Sony HMZ-T3W. It is awesome to have the headset plugged in and let a co-flyer use the goggles, they are typically dumbfounded and saying "Wow I have never..."
Yes I do have Hmz-t3. It gives great quality views. It's expensive.

I agree, just something to be aware of.

When I bought my P3A I was under the mistaken impression that the only differences were the camera and the charger, both of which I was fine with and willing to save about $300 over. Still have not regretted the camera nor missed the faster charger. But If I had known about the bit-rate difference--and especially its potential impact on FPV applications--I would have went ahead and paid the extra for the P3P since I was on the fence about doing that anyway. Indeed I should have investigated the specifications in more detail and figured out what the bit-rate might affect, but I wanted to FLY and not pay more then I had to! :)

Some would people say that's because you didn't "do your due diligence" ... a term I find to be offensive, dismissive, probably antagonistic, and IMHO ... always annoying, when it typically comes up in conversation like this as an apparent attempt to totally diss a person that's lamenting not knowing something in advance of their purchase, and is used by guys that are probably just over compensating for being stuck by nature and heredity with having to live their lives sporting very small ..... minds. ;) .

After waffling back and forth between the P3P and the P3A, and after looking at YouTube viddys to help me decide (with those somewhat subjective viddys) ..... and along with my hopes that 'somebody' will eventually provide an update or an app that will give us 'digital zoom' (damnit!!) ... I bought the P3P.

But I'll totally admit ... I didn't do "my due diligence" :rolleyes: ... and didn't know about the bit rate difference at all.
FPV is an important feature to me, and I appreciate that additional info. :)

Reactions: JonEQuest
BTW: I'm using an $88 10" Proscan Droid tablet with an HDMI out, and I go through small (~2"X2"X1/2") $10 self powered HDMI to composite video adapter (all from Amazon) ... to a set of $30 Quanum 5" display goggle kit (from King Hobby) that have been modified as per the viddy I posted in the long version of the "which tabled" thread.
It does a decent job, and provides for both a tablet and the goggles running simultaneously ... and if using an RCA splitter (for the composite video) you can run more that just one set of the Quanums too, or any composite monitor, or do the same with the HDMI out of the Proscan to HDMI goggles/monitors.
The Quanum goggles do require a 12V source for the 5" monitor, and I just use a small LiPo for that in an old fanny pack, but will probably velcro the converter and it to the head strap at some time.

But I also want VR .... so am experimenting with different VR goggles, using a Nexus 5 for it's processor speed, pixel density, battery life, and both GPS/GLONASS.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what it is you see through the HDMI feed? Is it just the camera image? Is there any sort of telemetry overlay (altitude, distance, battery life)? What I haven't been able to discern from these threads is whether the HDMI goggles experience (bit rate discussion considered) completely replaces the tablet/phone experience, or acts as an augment to it.

In my mind's eye, I imagine that a goggles user has his smartphone hooked up to the RC USB port and his goggles hooked into the HDMI out on the RC (HDMI module for us P3A guys). I presume boot up, calibration, RTH altitude, any warnings, etc. are handled with the smartphone. Then I imagine that the operator launches, gets to altitude (using smartphone and direct view of aircraft)--THEN slides the goggles down over his eyes to "enter the cockpit." Does a goggles user need to peek below the goggles to monitor battery life?

Thank you for your patience with me--I'm trying to figure out what the goggles experience is.

(Very saddened to learn of the bitrate limitation on the P3A. In making the P3A/P3P decision, that might've tipped the balance for me, too.)

--Howard

Reactions: JonEQuest
RC controller can be used to display using sub port and HDMI port simultaneously.

Fpv experience is a totally different experience as if you are sitting on your bird.

Hi Alok,
I'm wondering how would you use goggles (fed by HDMI) and sub-port (I presume feeding iDevice) at the same time?

I understand telemetry via HDMI is limited essential (I used to fly with DJI OSDv2 in a previous bird though, so I kinda feel "home"), so how could you benefit from using "usb port" in this settings?

Cheers

You can use USB port to connect tablet whereas goggles can be connected to HDMI port. Go app has a setting to make both the ports stream simultaneously.

HDMI port has limited telemetry data but good enough to fly around.

You can use USB port to connect tablet whereas goggles can be connected to HDMI port. Go app has a setting to make both the ports stream simultaneously.

HDMI port has limited telemetry data but good enough to fly around.

Thanks Alok,
so basically you flight either with goggles on or looking at the tablet.

BTW my favorite local shop just informed me about FlySight goggles: specs sound similar to Mybud except FlySight has receiver built-in (a waste of battery mAs in our setting) and a small camera to "real-world awareness", not sure if it has 3D though.

I'm still in doubt which one to buy. I mean, with Sony I'd use them to watch some movies too but price is really a huge factor. Mybud (or Flysight) dedicated solely to the field, less quality (I presume) but definitively affordable.

Any help ??
:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

I usually fly with goggles in well known areas but keep iPad mini on all the time. It is just to get a comfort level. The flying experience is totally different and you tend to lose directions in the beginning and can look at the iPad to get the same old orientation.

You get initially confused with the diamond locator through HDMI port but with few flights, you feel comfortable.

Choice of goggles is very personal. I like light weight and small form factor whereas others like HeadPlay with large form factor.

As the camera is just one on P3, you will never get real 3D effect, so 2D should be good enough. It gives great experience. Some use 3rd party apps like Litchi or FPV camera to generate a VR output but that divides the screen into two sections and resolution is thus reduced to half though that should be good enough for general viewing on $25 VR goggles with your phone mounted in it. In such cases you get limited to one type of streaming only.

Thanks Alok,
that sounds reasonable and safety-oriented, however maybe a little cumbersome if goggles required time to be removed to look at the device attached to RC

Could you please share more info about your experience with Sony Hmz-t3 in the field? Any lens fogging, FOV, general experience?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
fabbio

I had taken my Sony t3 only once to site. No doubt it's quality of display is excellent but for me it's not a device to be carried out to fields or beaches. It doesn't fit into my P3 backpack, it has too many cables :) it is definitely not ok for a beginner of goggles as it needs you to relax on a chair and stretch your legs. I m not a big guy and thus carrying it to field, time to wear it and setup is not acceptable to me. For site, I need handy things, easy to manage. Only on these counts I don't recommend it as a goggles for P3. There could be a little problem due to me too as I m not so expert on using goggles. I still keep looking at my tablet from time to time to check its radar and I can't relax and sit down while using it. May be 6 months down the line, I will take it to beaches and enjoy.

I used to see lens fogging on Fat Shark Dominator V3 though it has a tiny ineffective fan :) I never noticed fog with Mybud or t3.

I wonder about a Google-cardboard or similar, like this: Amazon.com: Mimuler Plastic Version Google Cardboard Adjust Cardboard 3D VR Virtual Reality Headset 3D Glasses Adjust Cardboard VR BOX Virtual Reality 3D Glasses For iPhone 6 Samsung 4.7- 6inch: Electronics

View attachment 37609

I am playing with different optics and have had a lot of experimentation. So far the best FPV experience is with my modified Quanum. I removed the Fresnel lens and replaced it with stacked reading glasses, then added a door at the back to use my phone as the screen. Now that I know what works and doesn't I am planning to modify a HooToo VR viewer that looks just like that one. It is fairly comfortable to wear. But the lenses are no good for anything but 3d Google style split screen so they are being replaced. Also to avoid double vision that occurs from the screen/phone being to close for your eyes to join the image I will be added a spacer to put the phone about 1.5" further away. The screen will be about 4.5" - 5" from the lenses. That seems to be the minimum distance to be able to view one screen with 2 eyes. At least my eyes. It will not be a cool and small as a FatShark sized pair of glasses but I can tell you from my Quanum mods that reading glasses magnifying a high quality phone screen gives you a great image. My friend has the top of the line FatSharks and I like my Quanum and old Galaxy 5 phone better for clarity and FOV. Reading glasses have good aspheric lenses so that helps a lot. I will post photos when I get it done. I have been flying by FPV only lately and it is the way to go. The modified VR viewer with 6+ reading glass lenses will cost me under $40 when I am done. I did spend way more than that buying and trying different magnifying lenses, etc. P.S. My original Quanum mod photos are here.
I made a Quanum/Cardboard/4X HD FPV Viewer from my phone

Reactions: spindrift

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic