Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?

Yes i have them they work

Attachments

• 1449844946503.jpg
    1449844946503.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 741
We all deal with screen washout. How is the FPV experience? And is it fair to assume that many HDMI glasses can accept the signal from the controller?

Also, I believe the HDMI signal is going out from controller and in to glasses directly instead out out of tablet and in to glasses, correct? Can the controller also send simultaneous signal to tablet via USB?

I'm new to flying but quickly realized daytime flight is less enjoyable due to the inability to see much screen detail. Goggles seem a bit too large for my taste and glasses might be the perfect compromise.

Last edited:
One thing to be aware of, is disappointingly, the P3A HDMI output quality is apparently lower then HDMI output quality from the P3P. One of the listed (but not well understood) differences between the P3A and P3P is the P3A has a lower bit-rate for video transmissions over lightbridge (2 mbps versus 10 mbps). Sure you get an "HD" feed but at a lower bitrate which is grainy and more noticeable over HDMI. I have NOT confirmed this myself but am summarizing what was discussed in the following thread: Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro | DJI Phantom Forum

RC controller can be used to display using sub port and HDMI port simultaneously.

Fpv experience is a totally different experience as if you are sitting on your bird.

One thing to be aware of, is disappointingly, the P3A HDMI output quality is apparently lower then HDMI output quality from the P3P. One of the listed (but not well understood) differences between the P3A and P3P is the P3A has a lower bit-rate for video transmissions over lightbridge (2 mbps versus 10 mbps). Sure you get an "HD" feed but at a lower bitrate which is grainy and more noticeable over HDMI. I have NOT confirmed this myself but am summarizing what was discussed in the following thread: Phantom 3 Advanced Lightbridge not the same as Pro | DJI Phantom Forum
Lower bit rate may cause loss of frames but not the picture quality on each frame. That may lead to little bad user experience if one doesn't get 24frames per sec due to interference.

Last edited:
Thanks Parsnip... and Alok....

Parsnip..., we also contributed (and agreed) to an exchange on the merits of Litchi software prices :).

Alok..., I get the FPV experience is vastly different (better) but was wondering specifically if FPV using the glasses Mr. Spock has was worth the investment, in his opinion.

^^This^^

Just understand completely what you will be getting with the much lower bit rate for the P3A video downlink before you commit.

Lower bit rate may cause loss of frames but not the picture quality on each frame. That may lead to little bad user experience if one doesn't get 24frames per sec
Loss of frames is not the problem being observed by those using P3A and HDMI. Reading through the thread I linked there are no complaints about lost frames. However, a common complaint is increased compression artifacts and pixelation on the P3A versus P3P. Here is another source which collaborates: Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - RC Groups

Are you thinking these would deliver similar results? I'm seeing them on Amazon for $260
eBay has prices from 199 onwards. The specifications are the same. I'm getting Mybud any day. I will post its performance.

I'm getting from a Korean supplier with delivery in 5 to 10 days. If you get two days delivery from Amazon , then it may be worth paying extra :) Amazon has a better return service.

Loss of frames is not the problem being observed by those using P3A and HDMI. Reading through the thread I linked there are no complaints about lost frames. However, a common complaint is increased compression artifacts and pixelation on the P3A versus P3P. Here is another source which collaborates: Blurry Pixelation in outdoor settings with Phantom 3 Advanced - RC Groups
Thanks for the information.

Most of us do not have both the models to compare and we thus rely on messages posted on forums or DJI site. I have P3A and didn't see any degradation on HDMI output. I saw it through HD TV, it's abs clear. DJI also claims that difference between P3A vs P3P is only the camera. If that's true, why would they give inferior quality to P3A. Anyway we believe what others are saying but in my experience HDMI output on P3A conforms to 720p and I get good experience.

Reactions: rnst2
Thanks Parsnip... and Alok....

Alok..., I get the FPV experience is vastly different (better) but was wondering specifically if FPV using the glasses Mr. Spock has was worth the investment, in his opinion.

I have tried many gadgets for Fpv experience, some are good in quality of picture but are heavy for onsite use. I will try Mybud and give you the feedback. This does not have full HD resolution but let's see.

I didn't like 3D types of outputs from Few SWs as they decide the screen into two thus reduce the resolution to half. Also P3 has just one camera so no fun in artificially converting 2D images to 3D and viewing them. I would like to use iPhones but unfortunately there is no easy solution to use them as monitors to view HDMI feed.

DJI also claims that difference between P3A vs P3P is only the camera. If that's true, why would they give inferior quality to P3A.
DJI says that the camera is the biggest difference, but one of those big differences is the video downlink bandwidth.

For some reason, the much lower bit rate of the P3A is not talked about very much. I can only speculate why it's not discussed much. Perhaps people don't notice as much when not using goggles so it's not a big deal to them. Perhaps they see the settable custom transmission rates on the channel select screen, but they don't realize the P3A has a 2Mbps max no matter the setting. Also, maybe some people just don't mind the issues seen with the lower P3A bit rate. Regardless, the fact is that the P3A has a much lower quality video down link than the P3P.

I just think it's important for P3A owners (or potential P3A owners) to understand this and consider the pros and cons before they decide to spend for the HDMI module and goggles. A more informed decision means they are less likely to be surprised if they are disappointed by the image quality.

Compare the Phantom Series | DJI
P3P P3A video downlink bitrate specs.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

Most of us do not have both the models to compare and we thus rely on messages posted on forums or DJI site. I have P3A and didn't see any degradation on HDMI output. I saw it through HD TV, it's abs clear. DJI also claims that difference between P3A vs P3P is only the camera. If that's true, why would they give inferior quality to P3A. Anyway we believe what others are saying but in my experience HDMI output on P3A conforms to 720p and I get good experience.
I am glad to hear you have positive experience with HDMI output from the P3A. I must say I ordered the HDMI output board awhile back right after they became available, and have failed to install it in my P3A RC after having my spirits dampened by reading about the bit-rate issue. But if you (and others?) are getting nice HDMI output that you are happy with from it, maybe I'll give it a try after all.

DJI says that the camera is the biggest difference, but one of those big differences is the video downlink bandwidth.

For some reason, the much lower bit rate of the P3A is not talked about very much. I can only speculate why it's not discussed much. Perhaps people don't notice as much when not using goggles so it's not a big deal to them. Perhaps they see the settable custom transmission rates on the channel select screen, but they don't realize the P3A has a 2Mbps max no matter the setting. Also, maybe some people just don't mind the issues seen with the lower P3A bit rate. Regardless, the fact is that the P3A has a much lower quality video down link than the P3P.

I just think it's important for P3A owners (or potential P3A owners) to understand this and consider the pros and cons before they decide to spend for the HDMI module and goggles. A more informed decision means they are less likely to be surprised if they are disappointed by the image quality.

Compare the Phantom Series | DJI
View attachment 37603
I agree, just something to be aware of.

When I bought my P3A I was under the mistaken impression that the only differences were the camera and the charger, both of which I was fine with and willing to save about $300 over. Still have not regretted the camera nor missed the faster charger. But If I had known about the bit-rate difference--and especially its potential impact on FPV applications--I would have went ahead and paid the extra for the P3P since I was on the fence about doing that anyway. Indeed I should have investigated the specifications in more detail and figured out what the bit-rate might affect, but I wanted to FLY and not pay more then I had to! :)

I agree, just something to be aware of.

When I bought my P3A I was under the mistaken impression that the only differences were the camera and the charger, both of which I was fine with and willing to save about $300 over. Still have not regretted the camera nor missed the faster charger. But If I had known about the bit-rate difference--and especially its potential impact on FPV applications--I would have went ahead and paid the extra for the P3P since I was on the fence about doing that anyway. Indeed I should have investigated the specifications in more detail and figured out what the bit-rate might affect, but I wanted to FLY and not pay more then I had to! :)
It was exactly the same for me. Nearly verbatim as you wrote it. I would have bought a P3P instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav