Will engines turn off if you hold thorttle at 0%

Reaction score
If I'm holding thorttle at 0% (or 0-10%) for a certain amount of time while Phantom is in the ground, the engines will stop running. Is this because Phantom understands that its not descending anymore or would it stop the engines in mid air.

I'm curious because sometimes it would be useful to descend fast as possible, but I'm worried that I'm going below 10% with thorttle and the engines will stop.

Thanks for answers!

Yes. How fast do you want to descend ? Be careful. Test it.

I have done very fast descends and it takes maybe 3-5m until it stabilizes in height using GPS mode. Even on one descend I touched slightly the ground but avoided a crash as I immediately gave full pitch power.

The throttle at -10% is called falling with style. The ascent/decent rate for the Phantom is +/-6 meters a second. You should never be flying with the throttle in the down -10% to 0% position unless there the other throttle stick is engaged at +10%.

if you do so, you'll definitely want to make sure in your NAZA that the throttle is set to "Intelligent" cut off mode and NOT "Immediate" mode,. otherwise it WILL cut the engines if you drop to 0%.

I have a heavy Phantom, so I try to avoid fast plunges, as it can be a bit sketchy pulling out of a fast descend.

While I have not seen it in person. I have seen the go pro footage of someone who sent their phantom up around 1500 feet. Held the throttle down long enough so that the phantom shut off. It started topple and go head over tail. He was able to start it back up and get it under control within about 80 feet of the ground. It was a crazy and stupid thing to watch.

For fast descents I use the manual mode nose dive technique like at the beginning of this video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQHY5zXXk5E[/youtube]

This is with a 1.3KG dual gopro 3D setup, get in a hover keep throttle at that position and pitch forward till it starts dropping the more pitch the faster the descent. Before hitting the ground ;) level off and you get down very fast in complete control assuming you are comfortable in manual mode that is and not flying with a gimbal for your fpv feed.

For GPS and ATTI mode I never use very low throttle for straight down descents as I don't really want to shake the phantom to bits, using 10% or less throttle gives you pretty much no control and if heavy it will take a while for it to stop the descent and regain control at the bottom.

Best to avoid ever forcing it down quickly through its own prop wash as its the easiest way to lose control and crash.

If dropping fast, move in a direction. If dropping straight down you're constantly going through the propwash and unstable air.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr