Will drone shut off while flying when I put throttle all the way down for a quick descent?

Reaction score
Will drone shut off while flying when I put the throttle all the way down for a quick descent?

Let's say drone is up very high taking some pictures and I notice the battery is getting low and I wanted to bring it back quickly.

When I put throttle down for the drone to descent, could this accidentally shut the drone completely off in midair leading to a catastrophic crash or does the drone recognize that its still in the air and not shut off when you put the throttle all the way down like it does on the ground?

I have both the FC 40( Phantom 1 drone with camera) and the Phantom 3 standard.

Thanks.

Will drone shut off while flying when I put the throttle all the way down for a quick descent?
No. The motors will only stop after it has landed and the throttle is in the full down position for 3 seconds.

Reactions: Kima kim
Good question. I caught mine the other day while out on my boat. While in hand and hovering. I held in down to shut the motors off and they stopped. Copter was not on the ground. So guy above says no but from what I experienced while flying they will and do.. guess you could do what I did to test it.

Reactions: 805hd and jusumbude
Good question. I caught mine the other day while out on my boat. While in hand and hovering. I held in down to shut the motors off and they stopped. Copter was not on the ground. So guy above says no but from what I experienced while flying they will and do.. guess you could do what I did to test it.
Whether the quad is on the ground or in your hand it can no longer descend and you are able to use the left throttle to shut it down.

Copter was not on the ground.
The copter does not know when it's on the ground. When it stops descending/moving for 3 seconds, it assumes it has landed and allows the motors to shut off.

Do you really think that DJI designers would make the standard method for descending kill your motors?
If it did, we would all have lost our Phantoms on the first or second flight.

I've read about it being a flaw in the design. I don't wanna be the one to test it.
It's been thoroughly tested by several hundred thousand users.
If there was a flaw it would have come to light by now.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

It's been thoroughly tested by several hundred thousand users.
If there was a flaw it would have come to light by now.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.
Couldn't find any valid evidence it would cut the motors off.. Just rumors. Nothing valid. So thanks

If you want a smoother full left stick down descent have a slight horizontal path. I usually come down in a spiral (corkscrew). The bird will never stall with full down but moving laterally makes for a clean drop in altitude. And it's more fun for me!

Couldn't find any valid evidence it would cut the motors off.. Just rumors. Nothing valid. So thanks
No worries, the reason I asked for the link was that there is a bit of misinformation floating around and a lot of new members take that as gospel. As Meta4 and many others have stated, it simply doesn't happen.

Reactions: Loz
FOR DJI P4...Last update i got from DJI GO4 app said to hold left stick Down right and hold land(RTH) button! This will shutdown engine in midair... ONLY FOR EMERGENCY!

I thought it wasn't good to do a max straight down or straight up.......... I really don't know why I just thought you were always supposed to have some lateral movement, however small ??

I thought it wasn't good to do a max straight down or straight up.......... I really don't know why I just thought you were always supposed to have some lateral movement, however small ??
Comes down much smoother with some lateral movement and looks almost professional and a bit like a strafing action lol.....

That advice is from the bad old days of vortex ring state (VRS) issues with earlier Phantoms, such as the P2. It's not a problem with modern versions.

Earlier firmware had concerns of CSC shutting down mid-air. DJI has since added a 3 second response delay to CSC.
Using CSC to shut down after landing is not advisable since before the CSC is interpreted, it's stick command could cause the AC to flop over. You are after all signalling yaw left/right, pitch backward and roll right/left all at the same time. I skipped the decend command component since I am talking about after having landed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1