Will a Phantom 3 fly and film without a mobile device?

Hi. The DJI app is free. The experience will be much better as you can frame your shots. Also flying with FPV is surprisingly easy. The advanced has lightbridge which means you have some serious range. I highly recommend downloading and using the DJI app. This link should take you there: DJI GO on the App Store

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
OK. I was looking at Autopilot for DJI, which was the first one that came up when I searched "DJI Pilot app." I see GO.... Now all I have to do is convince my wife that I'll need her iPad every time I fly 'cuz my iPhone 4 won't load it. Wish me luck.

The lightbridge looks interesting, but once again, if I understand correctly, adding that is pretty costly. As much as the quad itself.

As for framing pix, that'll be nice. With the GoPro, I used to set it on time lapse for every 5 seconds and just move around a lot. Then, download the lot to my computer and pick out the good ones... often from 100 or more .jpgs.

I think the narrow FOV will be something to get used to with this camera. With the extreme wide angle on the GoPro, it's hard not to get what you're aiming at.

Last edited by a moderator:
The app from DJI is called DJI Go. The link above will take you to it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The lightbridge looks interesting, but once again, if I understand correctly, adding that is pretty costly. As much as the quad itself..
The Advanced has the Light Bridge?
Don't you have Register it with Go App before you can fly it or is this only on the standard?

No, I guess the Advance only has WiFi.

And yes, it seems I had to register before it would fly. I found that out in a park with no service. So I mumbled under my breath, packed it all back up, went home, fought with it there, and FINALLY got it flying.

I've had a Phantom 1 for 2 years or so and I have to say it was waaaaay easier to get it going. Quite a few hoops to jump thru with this.

I had a few problems landing it. Seems that as it touched down and I powered down, it would always tip backward... the ground stopping the rear props. I finally found the auto land button and I think I'll just use that from now on.

Even though I was pretty comfortable with the old one, I started in beginner mode here and will do so for awhile longer before I get too brave.

My next task, once the battery is charged back up, is to change the video mode on the camera. My editor - Sony Vegas Pro v.9, doesn't like the default .MOV format. It does like the .MP4 format, so that's next. Yet another thing that can't be done without the app.

I'm sure it will get better with time, but right now... I give it a 6.8.

Thanks for the replies earlier today. Every tidbit helps.

Yes, I run with .mp4.
Is it tipping when you power it off. I use the left stick down to power mine off, no problems on level ground.

Added:
To register it you had use dji - go, what did you use for your device?

It was on level ground. It set down fine, but when actually powered off, that's when it tipped. The auto-land worked fine and I'll try your suggestion.

I used my wife's iPad. That worked. My iPhone 4 wouldn't load the dji-go app because of the operating system.

Once I got it loaded, and made the account at home where there was a signal, everything started to work. Plus, the iPad is a larger screen. Gonna have to look into one of those shade things though, because it's hard to read outside in the bright light.

I wonder if she realizes she's never getting her iPad back... ;-)

As for .mp4, that's not working with the version of Vegas Pro I have at home either. I have ver. 9 at home, ver. 12 at work. Must be some new compression numbers or something. As long as I have access, it'll work.

Just another in a bunch of new hurdles to jump to get up to speed, I guess.

Is there a recommendation about putting the battery away? Should it be charged up or left low? After today, I don't anticipate being able to play with it again until next weekend.

OK, took it out again. Quite windy, and the camera performed very nicely. Of course, I fired it all up and got notices for all sorts of updates needed to the RC, to the copter, to the camera... and again, nowhere near a signal. It flew fine, but I couldn't get rid of the prompt on the screen until I got home and did the updates.

Also, RodPad, I tried your suggestion of powering down with just the left stick and that was much better. I guess I was used to doing both from the Phantom 1, and here, maybe pulling the right one back gives those front props a little goose and that's what blew it back. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

You'll need to register your Phantom in the DJI GO app before you fly for the first time. After that point, it would be possible to fly without a mobile device. I don't recommend it though.

To all who advise against flying without a mobile device, GET REAL.
There have been millions of flights executed by the Phantom 1 & Phantom 2 .

Yes Phantom 1 & 2, I agree P2V+ and up, I disagree. You buy a new car, you never drove a car or maybe not that model. You start it up the gauges don't work Speed, Gas, Battery levels, ETC. It's easy this turns it on, this makes you go, this make you stop.

Is anybody going to recommend taking this for a drive?

I have never got the other way to work, it always revs up and tips over. I guess I should try it and master it, with out the props.

On batteries, this should keep you busy.

Search Results for Query: discharge battery | DJI Phantom Forum

;)
Yeah, it was just on the Phantom 1. Never really occurred to me to try just the left stick, but that's the way I'm doing it from now on. I'm selling the 1 to a friend, so I'll see if it works with just the left, too. If so, I'll be kind-of teaching him how to fly it, so that's what I'll show him, too.

Again, I appreciate your replies. They've been very helpful.

That's odd because I too have an iPad 2 and the DJI Go App downloaded to it just fine.

That was before I bought the iPad Mini 2

Bud

I wouldn't fly it ether. You would not have a record button, see number of satellites locked, power of flight battery and a whole bunch more.
I ended up using a ASUS tablet, ME173X, it is not on there compatible lists. It plays back video through the DJI Go app (While the video is still in the craft). I only have one computer that can actually play the video's that it creates. I didn't know my Ipad2 and my Iphone 4s would not even download the DJI Go.

Yes, It does now, both my old iPad 2 and my iPhone 4s, sure wouldn't back then, app store would just say not compatible. When I checked and the 4s could load it, I tried it but the app kept crashing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers