Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Will a F550 carry a NEX?

Discussion in 'Other DJI Multi-Rotors' started by Mactab, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Mactab

Hi all In my efforts to work out a system for aerial still photography I am getting conflicting answers in regards to the 550.
    Some say its a not possible to use a NEX camera on the 550 due to weight whilst other sites are selling gimbals specifically for the NEX and the 550.
    I need real life users please to say yes or no.
    I would be happy to use a sony RX100 instead btw
    Cheers

2. Uncle Meat

What does the Nex + Gimbal + GCU = Weight?

The max takeoff weight for a STOCK F550 using the original 30A ESC's and 2212 motors is 2400 grams. You can convert a 550 to handle more weight by adding extended arms and different motors. Need to know how much all your camera equipment weights first before making a recommendation.

U.M.

3. WReimer

OK, definitive answer. I have a 550, and I have a NEX 7. With the stock propulsion and NOTHING extra on the 550, it would get airborne on 3S...barely. Much better on 4S, but not much flight time.

With the E-300 tuned propulsion system and 4S it is significantly better...now it just feels like a flying Winnebago. It WILL fly a NEX...it WON"T fly a NEX well. It's not a big enough airframe to carry it safely. Yes they sell gimbals for it, but it's not their $1000 camera they're hanging from them, you know?

It depends on your risk tolerance. Mine is not high enough to risk the camera, yours may be.

4. ElGuano

Great to know WR. Can you let us know the AUW you're working with running the e300 and 4s?

5. Mactab

Thank you for your replies.That has answered my question. Basically a NEX is too heavy for the 550 and adding a gimbal makes it even more so. Really didnt want to step up to an S800 at this time.
    Back to Sony RX100 which is considerably lighter.
    cheers

6. Fink

Hey Mactab,

You should check out the S900 if an S1000 is still out of your price range. I went with the S1000 over the S900 just given how new the S900 is, but the S900 is made for the Z15 and lighter cameras, such as the NEX.

Fink[​IMG]