WiFi?

Then either you have a mapping program installed that preloaded all of the maps or they were cached previously. Otherwise all you would get is your coordinates overlaid onto a blank map.

My wifi is off, with GPS on, google maps and the map on dji go app work without caching.

Would you like me to make a video proving you wrong?

Reactions: mikesmiley and Oso
Can anyone clarify how do I "cache" maps to my tablet that doesn't have mobile network? It's WiFi only

2 ways to cache maps. The DJI GO app has a toggle under GENERAL SETTINGS. Outside of the app, you can cache map areas while connected to cell or wifi. Google cached maps have a shelf life, not sure about the GO app. GPS data does not contain any map data.

Thanks I'll try and locate it from my home when I'm connected to WiFi. Like I said I'm a noob. I know my way around flying the drone pretty well just trying to get into the technical stuff. Don't really understand the cache and all those other codes of Geneva

I hate to be a spoil sport here but I don't download any maps but they're in the App?
Using Galaxy Tab A
I have no idea how it knows where I am or where it finds the maps but it does it all without internet connection

You downloaded it. You just didn't know it. I use the Tab A as well and unfortunately its not magic. It was cheap though and came with a cool little pen thingy. The DJI app will automatically cache maps of your location anytime it has a WIFI signal. Otherwise, you'd just get a big black circle with a locator blip in the middle instead of a map.

Reactions: HWCM
You downloaded it. You just didn't know it. I use the Tab A as well and unfortunately its not magic. It was cheap though and came with a cool little pen thingy. The DJI app will automatically cache maps of your location anytime it has a WIFI signal. Otherwise, you'd just get a big black circle with a locator blip in the middle instead of a map.
Mine doesn't have a pen thingy and isn't connected to Wi-Fi where I fly??

They are not stored beforehand. I can go to a different location without ever turning on wifi, and the gps will be live and working with the map.

You can keep saying it doesnt work, wont change the fact that it does work.
Oso is correct, you need an internet connection to download maps. GPS will only give you the location on that map.

As far as im aware the homepoint is recorded at takeoff by the aircraft position. GpS on the device will give you follow me mode and other functions like using the controler as a focus point for the camera (autopilot and probably other apps).
Correct.

Theoretically, and a lot has been written on the topic, the close proximity of the mobile device and your controller create the potential for interference between the iPad/iPhone/Android WiFi (802.11b/g/n) and your 2.4 GHz control and video channels.

I have to think map caching is taking place at some level if you're using maps and not connected. If you think about it, our old windscreen mounted GPS units had the entire USA and Canada stored in NVRAM on the device and didn't need to download an maps as you drove from LA to NYC. Today's smartphones possess infinitely more memory space to store (cache) maps. How that takes place depends on your personal settings. I'm not an Android user but below is a collection of forum posts on the map cache topic (thank you Captain Morgan).

Search Results for Query: map cache | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

Last edited:
Your car GPS unit has the maps loaded from the manufacturer. This is why every couple of years you have to update the GPS by connecting it to your computer and downlaoding a huge file to transfer to the GPS unit or by using a memory card or usb stick. I had to update my cars GPS system with new maps last year and it was almost 1.5 gigs if I remember correctly.

Oh, I get that, but caching is virtually the same process... either way, you are storing the maps on the device. It's something worth researching further. The original question was about WiFi... then morphed into caching...

Oh, I get that, but caching is virtually the same process... either way, you are storing the maps on the device. It's something worth researching further. The original question was about WiFi... then morphed into caching...
Oh okay, we are on the same page.

I fly with a wifi only iPad mini 2..got confused on the whole map catching myself. I gave up. No big deal for me , I just follow my trace back home on blank map

If your seeing a map already instead of a black spot, then you likely won't notice any difference. I still think the maps cached automatically without your knowledge. The DJI app will launch and run on its own. I'm not sure what the criteria is for this process to occur, I just know it does. I use task killer and the DJIGO app frequently pops up on there without any input on my part.

You state that the closest wifi is a mile away. Is it possible that the app cached maps at that last wifi point? I would think this scenario to be the most likely explanation.

I really don't see any advantage to having the map (for me personally) although it may be helpful to some other users. Perhaps it would make it easier to find your bird in the event of a crash??? I hope I never find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't see any advantage to having the map (for me personally) although it may be helpful to some other users. Perhaps it would make it easier to find your bird in the event of a crash??? I hope I never find out.

Me too

Reactions: mrgoodwrench

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers