Wifi will not stay connected

Had the same problem in my last two flights This morning I was flying with Ground Station assistance and the "broken connection" message showed up and I was unable to see where I was or what I was recording.However in the ground station screen,I was able to see the phantom moving in the direction of the next waypoint and that was reassuring.
First time it happen the recording continued but in my last one the recording stopped and had to push record again when I regained wifi signal.Beside this issue,the bird followed the preprogramed course and came back home safe.

Ran into this problem today. Was shooting at a restaurant in remote mountain community. The restaurant had two high gain collinear antennas fed with hardline and mounted on the roof to give wide wifi coverage to neighbors. The Phantom would not connect when anywhere near the restaurant, but once about 200 ft away I connected.
What's the Ipad setting for 'ignore all other signals'?

I purchased an iPod 5th Gen to test if it was just my Android devices...and the **** Apple has worked for 4 complete flights no issues. Just FYI.

Just as a FYI when it says connected that does not mean you have connectivity.

The Phantom setup acts as a DHCP server. It first connects where it shows connected. Then the phone needs to get an IP address from the phantom before they can talk. I have been too quick to start the app and go to camera and had issues.

To trouble shoot you might connect and then go and take a look to make sure the phone is getting a valid IP address.

I have not looked but think the Phantom DHCP server is on 192.168.1.x subnet.

I might end up just setting my IP to a static one so I eliminate the dynamic assign process.

I have mine set to static and it doesn't help.
Though if you set your IP static and omit the default gateway and DNS server, you can still get on the internet via cellular while you're connected to the Phantom. I use 192.168.1.15/24

I find that my phone will show connected when I turn on the WiFi range extender, but will disconnect after I turn on the Phantom.
It won't re-connect until after the phantom has "booted up" the the point where it sets Course Lock and you get the first set of rapid green flashes.

Also, I have found that it's a good idea to "Forget" or delete any other wifi networks in the area your device might have connected to or might connect to automatically.
I had problems flying near my house when the phantom signal strength dropped a bit my phone would disconnect and connect to my home network.
Fortunately my home network and others in my neighborhood are all on Channel 6 or 11, nothing on Channel 1 or 2 which is what the Phantom uses.

You know, I have to wonder if the DHCP server is on the actual aircraft or just the extender.

I did not remember mine connecting until the phantom was powered up. Might just be a timing thing and I need to check.

rrmccabe said:
You know, I have to wonder if the DHCP server is on the actual aircraft or just the extender.

I did not remember mine connecting until the phantom was powered up. Might just be a timing thing and I need to check.
As I understand the system, from going through Linuxkidd's posts. The DHCP server is on the Phantom. The WiFi extender is just that, it acts as a repeater in 'Client WDS' mode. All the smarts are on the Phantom.
It could be that mine seems to connect prior to the phantom power on because I have a static IP set so doesn't wait for DHCP and just connects to the SSID blind.

I'm hoping to figure out a way to change the WiFi extender from Client WDS mode to an Infrastructure Wireless Access point mode, so the Phone won't be disconnected if the Phantom goes out of range.
Of course it won't be able to talk to the Phantom, but cutting out the WiFi handshake on the phone should speed the re-connect when the Phantom comes back in range.
The trouble is that since there's no wired Ethernet port and no way to reset the firmware back to factory on the WiFi extender or the phantom, If you make any mistakes in the config, you may lock yourself out and completely brick the system on both sides.

Advanced Media Group said:
Wedeliver said:
When I got my vision + back from DJI after reparing damaged gimbal, I set the quad on my table and for an hour I tried to connect and the app would report "connection broken" I was so upset, tried the airplane mode and whatever else was offered and it still would drop the connetion. Thennn.

I took the quad outside, again dropped connection, put it in airplane mode, restarted wifi and the connection was solid as a rock. So, don't give up, I was ready to give up and then it worked. oh and turn off that option to use wifi for high data uses cause if your phone needs to really see the internet for some reason it might drop the phantom connection and load one that works.

When you say you restarted the wifi, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean on the phone you restarted it or did you mean with the Phantom?

really sorry for not seeing this question until today.. when I put my phone in airplane mode it turns off wifi. So I just turn wifi on and leave the phone in airplane mode. sure hopes this helps.

Also as I explained before the wifi would drop immediately if I was in my house. I am thinking of turning off my TV my Roku my playstation, chromcast, and dish dvr, all of which have wifi and see if I can get a better signal in the house. Yes I can now go outside and it seems work great, I get 1200' before broken connection vertical and I think about 1000' horizotal (when flying at about 200 to 300') I have not tested it much since I really do not like to loose the signal, either one.

(edited to add chromcast and dish dvr)

So let me see if I got this right.

I need to restart my phone. Then tell it to Forget all the wireless networks I normally connect to. (this would be fun, as there's 26 networks I connect to as part of my work.... I'll need to rescan for them and enter the passwords in again... fun fun fun!) Then set the phone on airplane mode (which defaults to turning the wireless off, so I need to turn it back on manually), Make sure any networks within range of me are turned off (meaning, knocking on strangers' doors and demand they turn off their networks so I can fly).

Did I miss anything? Like standing on one foot? Or sticking my tongue out? Or burning incense? Reciting a 5,000-year-old Druid prayer (in it's native tongue, or course!)?

Some of these 'solutions' are far worse than the problem.

I have an iPhone, same happened to me I saw this app boosting your connection for the phantom vision 2 Plus only about 10 dollar I gave it a go and now it works all the time.
cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic