Wifi will not stay connected

Reaction score
Hello,

My job recently purchased a Phantom 2 Vision + and everything worked great for a couple weeks. Recently though the camera wifi connection became worse and worse. Often it would take multiple times to connect before take off and would often disconnect during flights.

I have made sure it is not connecting to other wifi networks during operation.

I have gone through the rebinding process several times. After doing so the range extender shows up on my iPhone wifi list. It will connect, but after about 5 seconds of the camera being live on my iPhone it cuts out and I receive the message "Phantom Connection Broken"

Any ideas?

Bump..I am having a similar problem and have tried multiple tablets/phones.
Motorola Droid- Works fine but I can't get map in GS to work.
Samsung Note 3- Connect but drops every 30 seconds..Reads "USB connection" in the viewer
Ipad Air - Will not connect at all.

I am having the same issue.....Bumpity Bump. DJI, are you listening?

I'm also seeing trouble with my wifi getting and then staying connected. I'm getting the "Phantom Connection Broken" message. This began after a minor tree mishap that didn't appear to break anything, not even a prop. This is my second shell, so I'm a veteran of taking off the top and securing everything. I can't think of anything inside that would come loose. For example, the transceiver connectors are hard to get disconnected as it is, and they would either be connected or not connected. I can't imagine a "connector scenario" that would cause the intermittent problem. Any advice?

I spoke with someone from DJI today, but they gave me no more information than the manual or internet gave me. He said I will have to send my phantom, remote, and receiver to them. I've only had it for 4 weeks...

Catalina36 said:
Put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on the Wifi. I have a Galaxy Note 3 and that fixed the issue for me.

The DJI rep recommended that. I tried it and it connected for about 1 min. Then I received the same message "Phantom Connection Broken" and it would not reconnect after that. I'm using an iPhone 5s. DJI rep suggested it was my phone, but it was working 2 weeks ago perfectly fine for several flights in a row, with no connection breaks. Also my wifi works on my iPhone during regular internet use, so I can't imagine it is my phone. I'm going to try my iPad tomorrow morning.

Another thought is that I updated the Phantom software recently. Right around the update is when I started having connection issues. Maybe this is related?

Is there a way to reverse update?

I've had the same issue, and have tried all suggestions made. So I finally emailed DJI and got a response to call in for an RMA.

Now to actually get through on the phone. My first attempt had me as caller #23, and after an hour I had graduated to #22. Second attempt, I was #14 and two hours later was still #14.

When I got my vision + back from DJI after reparing damaged gimbal, I set the quad on my table and for an hour I tried to connect and the app would report "connection broken" I was so upset, tried the airplane mode and whatever else was offered and it still would drop the connetion. Thennn.

I took the quad outside, again dropped connection, put it in airplane mode, restarted wifi and the connection was solid as a rock. So, don't give up, I was ready to give up and then it worked. oh and turn off that option to use wifi for high data uses cause if your phone needs to really see the internet for some reason it might drop the phantom connection and load one that works.

Wedeliver said:
When I got my vision + back from DJI after reparing damaged gimbal, I set the quad on my table and for an hour I tried to connect and the app would report "connection broken" I was so upset, tried the airplane mode and whatever else was offered and it still would drop the connetion. Thennn.

I took the quad outside, again dropped connection, put it in airplane mode, restarted wifi and the connection was solid as a rock. So, don't give up, I was ready to give up and then it worked. oh and turn off that option to use wifi for high data uses cause if your phone needs to really see the internet for some reason it might drop the phantom connection and load one that works.

When you say you restarted the wifi, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean on the phone you restarted it or did you mean with the Phantom?

Okay, so a bit more luck this morning but still have an issue.

The DJI App says its connected and so far it seems to remain connected, unlike before.

Yet when I go the camera mode I still get this.

When I exit the camera mode the app still says it's connected via wifi.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3240.PNG
    IMG_3240.PNG
    207.7 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_3241.PNG
    IMG_3241.PNG
    150.7 KB · Views: 586
Not sure why others haven't chimed in before now. Maybe they think it's a lost cause?

You guys need to list as much detail as possible.

At what distance are the lost connection messages appearing?

In your wifi list, how many are listed, and how many have a open network?

Since your last firmware upgrade, about how many flights have you flown?

What display setting are you viewing with? (Set this at the lowest setting!)

Do you have any devices installed that are mounted on your quad, if so which landing gear leg's are used with wires being routed from the quad?

How fresh is the batteries in the transmitter, and do you have a multimeter to test those batteries?

Do you fully charge the Range Extender before each flight?

I'm here to help you find a resolution to your issues. I'll do all that I can to help.

This advise is something that should be followed each and every time.

At Power up, ALWAYS activate the Transmitter and Range Extender first! Activate the Quad Last.

On Shut Down, ALWAYS power down the Quad 1st. Then power down the Range Extender and Transmitter.

I developed the dropped connection problem after my third flight following receipt of the unit. These were very short flights of less than 150 ft height and 200 feet distance, all in wide open fields with only soft landings and no problems. After the third flight the unit was placed in its case and taken out the next day to the same area as the day before, but WiFi connection and disconnection were constant problems, and could not be resolved after a week of troubleshooting.

There remains no WiFi connection with the Phantom and the DJI Android app, so no camera image or readouts on cell phone. I am using Motorola Razr HD vers. 4.4.2 with updated DJI app per 7/29/14. Power-on initiation is done in proper sequence: RC, RX, Phantom. I am flying in Airplane mode with WiFi on, and the Phantom connection gets established, but then drops out constantly even when all units are on the ground. This happens indoors and outdoors, even in rural areas with large open fields and no interference, when satellite predictions are greater than 8, and K-Index is less than 4. It also happens when another cell phone is used, so it's not the phone.

The DJI App has been uninstalled and re-installed several times without effect. The same with the DJI Assistant Software for both RC and the DJI Vision Assistant. All batteries are charged, RC, Range Extender and Phantom display normal green lights and the UAV can fly, but without visual readouts I am flying blind. All firmware and software has been updated per 7/29/14. Sticks and IMU have been calibrated successfully. Range Extender binding has been re-set successfully, and RC and Receiver have been successfully linked. Still no WiFi connection or camera/app readouts available.

The only thing I have not done per flyNfrank's suggestions is to change the camera resolution to lowest quality, because I shipped the unit back for replacement before I saw his post. However, if I did use lowest res, would that not conflict with video quality when I wish to produce high quality videos? After all, that was a big advantage in purchasing this product in the first place.

VagabondBoy said:
However, if I did use lowest res, would that not conflict with video quality when I wish to produce high quality videos? After all, that was a big advantage in purchasing this product in the first place.

The preview video quality is independent of the actual videos recorded.

I have had the problem also, Phantom connects, but short time later (has been as far away as 500 ft, and as close as 1 ft.) I lose the connection to the camera. I found that if before turning on the Phantom, I "FORGET" all local wifi's that I can connect to, then turn on the Phantom, it then seems to stay connected. I believe the new firmware has introduced some aspect of the problem also, as the issue is showing up more frequent lately.

By the way, in my case, I've never lost control of the Phantom during these episodes.

I have a Galaxy S4 and had similar problem. I found that the phone would preferentially choose a local strong connection to a WiFi network that had been remembered if the Phantom signal would fade or blink. I also had to have the phone "forget" all past connections to fix this problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4