WiFi Repeater broadcast SSID NETGEAR81

Reaction score
Just like title, I can't connect to my wifi repeater because it's not broadcasting PHANTOM1_***** or whatever the normal SSID is. Instead I will get a SSID named NETGEAR81 or something very similar. As interesting as that is, for now I'd just like to fly the P2V & fiddle around with it when the novelty of the machine has worn off.

Has anyone else seen this issue & maybe how to fix it?

Last thing is the NETGEAR81 SSID is secured & I have no idea what the password is...

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, that NETGEAR SSID sounds like your neighbour's (or your son's hidden wifi in the basement *snicker*).
Make sure that your repeater is turned on for at least 30-60 seconds and with blinking green 'system' LED and with the Phantom Vision turned on as well and finished with its warm up process. Also ensure there's a microSD card in the PV's camera.

If that still doesn't work, try rebinding them (click the 'reset' button on the side of the repeater, then rebind on the app... use the QRCode on the box).

Yea for sure that is someone's home network nearby. To be sure, take your stuff in the car and try again several miles away. If netgear follows something is seriously wrong.

If I were you I'd say the same thing, let me explain everything a little bit better....

The house were in right now is a custom built house, all the way down to the Cisco 1240AP which I have split off to several ceiling mount semi spherical antennas on ports 1&3 in diversity mode. I don't broadcast my SSID & use an OLD version of Solarwinds to monitor my AP, switches, & cable modem/router from my desktop. Our house sits in the middle of almost 3 acres & although I really don't pickup other folks broadcasts inside the house I can occasionally one here & there while in the yard. I've been a Director MIS now for 15 years now (ouch!! It hurt to say that... :oops: ) give you an idea, I made the director's position about 6 mos. before Y2k in 1999... I'm no expert but I learned a little about wireless over the years & I promise you that either the repeater or the camera is broadcasting NETGEAR81.

What's real screwy is I've rebound the camera/repeater & the connectivity is fine & upgraded the camera firmware, however, even after all that, when I power on everything the Tx->repeater->P2V in that order, I go to my wifi settings on my iPhone 5 & watch the SSID's I will see NETGEAR81 come up & within 3-7secs. PHANTOM1_$$$$ SSID will appear :| , the NETGEAR is secured btw. Overall, everything is fine & works, to the best of my knowledge just like it's designed, with the exception of this rogue SSID. This will happen irregardless of my location on the property or in the house & I can replicate it. Additionally I have never seen NETGEAR81 before on any device or scanner while at our house, the closests apartments are a couple of miles from me & my daughter would waste her time setting up a access point or anything of the such, that would interrupt her tv shows.. :)

I just looked up NETGEAR81 dunno but it seems there was a product release in the UK, regarding that, would it be possible they using OEM'd wifi equipment? :?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic