Wifi Range extender, simple, free, further -10 second enhancement

Reaction score
Take the stock range extender off the RC remote. Put the range extender somewhere high pointing in the general direction of where you're going to fly. Don't put it near metal.
I found the range extender has to be within about 5 meters of my iOS device otherwise it wouldn't connect.
After I did that I would continue to get a video feed in places where before I would lose the video feed.
Make sense to me that the extra height would give at least a little extra range.
After doing this I made myself a simple stand from PVC pipe to do the job.

Reactions: higheye
What I understand is the iOS device communicates with the range extender and the range extender communicates with the phantom . I only tried it once but when I set the range extender out about five or 10 m my iOS device will not connect with the range extender. But of course the the Wi-Fi range extender works hundred feet out to the Phantom . Have you tried placing the range extender quite far away from your iOS device?

The signal between phantom and range extender is 2.4ghz

The range extender then builds a Wi-Fi that communicates with your phone.

The communication between Phantom and range extender is not Wi-Fi.

Sorry for my confusion but I thought 2.4 ghz was wifi frequency. Also it is called a Wi-Fi range extender. I'm not questioning what you say I just don't understand. Is the signal between the Wi-Fi range extender and the phantom a propriety signal?

Sorry for my confusion but I thought 2.4 ghz was wifi frequency. Also it is called a Wi-Fi range extender. I'm not questioning what you say I just don't understand. Is the signal between the Wi-Fi range extender and the phantom a propriety signal?
No. He's saying the signal between your phantom and your extender is not wifi.

Last edited:
Haha. For some reason three days later I've been thinking about my post above and it doesn't make sense to me. Let me re-phrase.

The way I understand it, there are two WiFi signals broadcast on two different WiFi frequencies. One is from the camera and one is from the extender. The one from the camera is received by the extender (this is why the binding is necessary), and then that data is transmitted on another frequency which is then received by your display device.

I think that's the way it works. This is what I gather from the manual.

Hence, it's possible you could connect your display to the camera directly by mistake, according to the manual. But not if you knew what you were doing because you know to choose the connection that is named "Phantomxxxxxx" and not the connection named "FC200...."

If this isn't quite right, somebody can correct me...

You can fly the Phantom wihtout the camera you won't have FPV or telemetry thus the "wifi" signal from the Phantom comes from the Wifi module under the shell next to the NAJA Module.

You're getting closer.

d

A good test of the Phantom Wifi is to use a utility to scan for wifi and look for 60.60 xxx xx xxx and watch for how long and strong it is. If it drops and or is weak higher -db level it's in need of replacement.

You can then turn on the Tx. and look for the Phantom_XXXXXXX SSID.

D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj