Wifi range extender.. Crappy battery

Reaction score
I find I'm continually charging up the battery in the wifi range extender.. Even if I charge it at night.. In the morning it takes over 1/'2 hr. again, to top it off.. Go a few days, and the battery is dead.. Just wondering if it's possible to change the system to use normal batteries, instead of the rechargeable type? Not even sure what the voltage is

obiwan_pierogi said:
I find I'm continually charging up the battery in the wifi range extender.. Even if I charge it at night.. In the morning it takes over 1/'2 hr. again, to top it off.. Go a few days, and the battery is dead.. Just wondering if it's possible to change the system to use normal batteries, instead of the rechargeable type? Not even sure what the voltage is

Are you remembering to turn the repeater off when you're not using it? If so, then you may wish to see if you can get it replaced under warranty. I don't think the battery should lose its charge that quickly.

If you want to fix it yourself, it's not hard to open the extender and the battery is easy to get to once it's open. I'm not sure of the type of battery, but you should be able to find a replacement. Or, you can buy one of the battery packs that have a USB jack on them for charging cell phones or whatever and hook it up while you use the extender. There's some evidence that this increases the range of the Wi-Fi signal.

-- Roger

The battery in the extender is a low-discharge 7.4v single cell lipo. It should be able to be replaced easily with with something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8483

I haven't had the extender open for some time, but I seem to remember the capacity being fairly low, which could certainly be doubled or even quadrupled by replacing the stock battery.

I've heard from others that claim the extender won't hold a charge for very long, when not being used.. As for replacing it, I've had enough BS dealing with DJI and mutirotor coptors in Calgary.. I'd just as soon buy a new one if that's the problem.. I find a lot of rechargeable batteries to be a pain in the butt.. It seems every time you charge them, their life gets progressively shorter.. I'm just thinking with the batteries that power the transmitter.. They seem to last forever.. I'm surprised dji didn't come up with a 9 volt system, or something to power these units.. My unit spends more time plugged into the laptop, than it does operating the system..

obiwan_pierogi said:
I'm surprised dji didn't come up with a 9 volt system to power these units..

I'm not sure I know what you mean, since 9v batteries cannot maintain enough current to power the externder's peak demands, which fluctuate up into hundreds of milliwatts. I assumed you were a DIYer and was offering a practical solution. DJI is not going to reengineer the thing for you, but you can easily modify it to work longer. Another option would be to carry an external portable USB charger which would literally power the extender for days.

Yes, I realize they're not going to change the world for me.. It's just that you come across these things, and you think, who the heck did they ask for advice when designing this? A ditch digger? It's like using the I-phone to see where you're going.. Well would be great if you could see the **** thing in the sunlight.. And then try to see the no. of gps satellites you're connected too.. they use a dark blue lettering, that basically blends in with the black background.. Good luck, in the sun.. And then this wifi extender.. At least give it a battery that holds a charge..

I thought the battery says something like 3.7 volts on the side.. I believe it's something like 5 volts coming from the laptop plug ins

7na3.jpg

I didn't trust the battery indicator for the same reason as the OP.

This was my solution. Adds a little weight to the TX...but performs well. You can even power your phone or tablet at the same time.
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-PORT...1-1&keywords=ravpower+10,400+mah+battery+pack
available in black or white.
I believe there is a 12,000 mAh version of this battery pack

The Rookie

I have the same problem with the extender battery. I take my 12,000 mAh phone charger and drop it in my pocket. A long cord goes to the extender. Tons of power! Just wish I could charge the phantom battery faster. Don't want to dump $150.00 on a second one at this time.

Geert said:
I am using an additional external battery too during the flight. I found that you have to keep the battery in the repeater fully charged all the time.
I am using the Ravpower battery 14000mAh.

Geert.

+1
Same thing here...

Geert said:
I am using an additional external battery too during the flight. I found that you have to keep the battery in the repeater fully charged all the time.
I am using the Ravpower battery 14000mAh.

Geert.

Geert,
You seem to be knowledgeable on modifying DJI power circuits. What do you think about solving the wifi extender battery problem by using the transmitter batteries for the wifi extender as well? The transmitter uses four 1.5 volt batteries which is 6 volts in series. Circuits powered by batteries typically operate over a wide range. You could always use a zener diode and current limiting resistor to get the voltage you need. Let us know what you think.
kennca

Are you remembering to turn the repeater off when you're not using it? If so, then you may wish to see if you can get it replaced under warranty. I don't think the battery should lose its charge that quickly.

If you want to fix it yourself, it's not hard to open the extender and the battery is easy to get to once it's open. I'm not sure of the type of battery, but you should be able to find a replacement. Or, you can buy one of the battery packs that have a USB jack on them for charging cell phones or whatever and hook it up while you use the extender. There's some evidence that this increases the range of the Wi-Fi signal.

-- Roger
Always turn it off ...never leave any of my batteries left on....not good:eek:

Are the batteries AAA or AA. I can't seem to get the back off to see what type they are.. I,m afraid to pull the back any harder not knowing if there is another screw under the label.. I took out the 4 screws around the edge..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr