Wifi problems after upgrade

Reaction score
I've flown about 30 times and have never had problems connecting to the repeater from my Samsung S3. Takes maybe 30 seconds and then all is good. Today I received another replacement camera (still trying to get one that's in focus) and when I installed it and fired up the repeater, I didn't see the Phantom_6xxxxx network from my phone. Tried a bunch more times and did see it occasionally (5 bars of course). I was able to connect long enough once to open the app, and bind it to the new camera via the new QR code. But soon after the connection dropped again. It didn't last long enough to see anything out of the new camera. Every few times I try, Phantom_6xxxxx comes up long enough to connect, but generally only lasts a short time.

I've tried rebooting the phone, using a tablet that worked fine with it before, but nothing seems to work. I tried fully charging the repeater but still the same. I've tried it with and without the P2V & transmitter on.

During the week I had no camera, I did open up the repeater (again) and attached a second pigtail cable. I had been using one with an external antenna before, no problems. I opened it again today - all looks good, all LEDs working as usual, no wires crimped or anything. I unconnected the second pigtail, back to the last known good config - no change. I had also switched to Naza M mode - now switched it back and of course it made no difference.

I don't think I damaged the repeater but this behavior is really confusing. I must be missing something - anyone have an idea?

From what I've seen with mine, I'll only see Phantom_6xxxxx on my device if both Range Extender & Vision camera wifi are up (solid yellow on Extender, solid green on Camera). If I turn the camera's wifi off, Phantom_6xxxxx will eventually drop from my device after 10-secs or so.

In other words it sounds like your QR binding didn't take/complete, otherwise I'd expect the Range Extender would not only link to it but lock it in as the new SSID to hookup to on every PowerUP instead of your old camera's SSID. Other things to try are terminating & restarting the app and/or reinstalling it, deleting any existing Phantom_6xxxxx networks in your phone/device's list.

Anyone else with ideas :?:

iDrone

Thanks iDrone. Your message solved it for me, or at least put me on the path. It turns out that cameras ship with the switch set of Off. Wipes egg off face. But that wasn't all. The dealer had sent me a QR code to rebind with, same as the first time - and it worked perfectly then. This time, the camera came in a real DJI camera box and had a factory QR code sticker. I checked with the dealer and they said to use theirs (they had the DJI factory generate it for me, based on serial numbers I provided). But it turns out I had to use the factory one. Now good to go. It's interesting: the factory one is a single QR code that you scan once to install the App, then again to do the binding. Nice job on that DJI.

Oh, and the great news is that 3rd time is a charm. This camera has no side-to-side focus issues! Hope to fly this afternoon.

I got one flight in between rain squalls today and the camera, while not perfect, is (just) ok. I would say it's a 6 out of 10, whereas the first I got was a 4 and the first replacement was a 2. On this one the right side edge, maybe 10% of the image, is not sharp. On the previous, it was at least a third of the left side of the image. The original camera was soft on the right 20%. I have never seen such shoddy assembly in a digital camera. I counted up and I've owned 7 point and shoots, 2 DSLRs and 6 or 8 phones/tablets since 2000 besides the P2V. And I have never seen anything like this before, not even in a cell phone.

Actually if I look closely on a 30" monitor, none of the image is what I would call sharp. Maybe it will be better on a bright sunny day when the P2V is not being buffeted around by the wind. The static tests I shot at home are at least a little better. It's so fun flying the thing though, it's ok. At some point I'm sure I'll graduate to a different platform with a real camera. Wifi was solid so that's good.

nhoover said:
...I have never seen such shoddy assembly in a digital camera. I counted up and I've owned 7 point and shoots, 2 DSLRs and 6 or 8 phones/tablets since 2000 besides the P2V. And I have never seen anything like this before, not even in a cell phone.
Unlike point & shoot's and DSLR's which utilize precision lens mounts, and unlike celfone's & tablet's which using EM coil floating optics to achieve autofocus, Vision uses a "board camera" traditionally used in fixed focal length security camera & industrial vision applications. Mounts for board cameras vary widely, you can have a look here if you'd like to learn more: http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4837&p=41149#p41149

Edit: Unfortunately QC hasn't seemed to improve much since I wrote that, but at least they're willing to exchange cameras that exhibit poor flatfield focus issues. It's just too bad they aren't scrutinizing the replacements before issuing them as replacements.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik