Wifi only IPad.

For use with a phantom, nothing. However, wifi only ipad means you do not have a cellular data plan connected with it and won't be able to access the internet when not in range and connected to a wifi source.

I use a wifi only Ipad air 2 when I fly my phantom and it's great. Just when I'm away from my wifi at home I can't access google, or hulu or youtube, etc. I don't care about that because I bought it specifically for the phantom.

I, too, use a wi-fi only ipad mini which I bought for use only with my P3P. Sometimes it would be nice to have maps when flying or planning missions, but if you cache maps before you go you can use them. And I'm too cheap to pay for a data plan :^)

Reactions: Great_Lakes
Get the option to add the cellular. Don't have to use it now, but at least you won't have to buy another device later on which you'll double-down on your expenses. I've done that too many times now with Samsung stuff sitting in the drawers that doesn't work well for DJI stuff and out about $1,200 too. Do it right and cry once. You think you get away with being cheap, but it comes back to haunt you later.

Also, if you do decide to throw in a SIM card later, check your carriers for their coverage maps for the area you intend to fly in. Some may not cover it, and then you are stuck unless you change carriers. I think the tablet I bought at Best Buy I needed to plan for what carrier as they seem to be made for the carrier's network and SIM card setup.

Reactions: Doc E
Hows it going? The other day I talked to you about the Mini. It is amazing,but after reading some of the threads I'm realizing there is so much more to getting the max out of the Mini 4 and the P 4;so much so that I think I need to go to school and get some hands on training.

i just use my iphone as a hotspot, so i always have my maps

Be careful with that and find out about it from your carrier. Some know the angle and cash in by not allowing it.

AT&T unlimited won't work as a hotspot and they have it in their small print at the bottom here: Get the AT&T Unlimited Data plan when you have AT&T wireless and DIRECTV

Quote AT&T: "Tethering and mobile hotspot use prohibited (except for Connected Cars)."

When I tried it with T-mobile, the device (Samsung tab - bleah!) got too hot trying to handle it all and the video broke up a lot. Moved to a tablet with the data SIM to stop that.

Ipad wifi only version dont have GPS if i remember correctly?
If that is the case it will be a drawback when you use app like Litchi.

Sent from my SM-N910H using PhantomPilots mobile app

GPS is not required for iPad. I use it daily, but as mentioned, Follow Me and Dynamic RTH will not work. Cache local maps before flight and all is well.

Reactions: Great_Lakes

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl