Wifi keeps disconnecting in flight

Reaction score
hey guys. I was wondering if I can maybe get your input on this. When I am in flight, my wifi keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting. Today I was at 800 feet straight above me and the wifi I kept on disconnecting and then it would reconnect. It did this about 4 times. Any ideas on this?

Interference from another wifi signal nearby? Antenna orientation? Try to keep the front face of the WiFi extender pointed directly at the Phantom.

I was actually testing this tonight. I was in a stable GPS hover above me and I turned off the Range extender, then turned it back on to see if the app would reconnect on it's own and how long it would take.
It took about 30 seconds and most of that was waiting for the phone to reconnect to the WiFi extender. Once it did I switched back to the app and it reconnected to video by itself fairly quickly.

I have to wonder why the range extender forces a disconnect when it loses the phantom connection. I don't see why it would be necessary.
The WiFi extender should be just an Access point that the phantom connects to and you connect to. If the phantom loses connection to that access point, you should stay connected. You obviously wouldn't be able to reach the phantom but once the phantom reconnected communication would resume without waiting for the WiFi to reconnect.

Unfortunately that's not how it works. The Range extender doesn't broadcast it's SSID or even allow connections until after it establishes the connection to the Phantom and for some unknown reason if it loses the Phantom connection it drops all other connections.

Maybe Linuxkidd can help with another hack to change that behavior.
I installed the WebUI for the embedded OpenWRT. Maybe I'll poke around in the config and see if I can figure out what's causing it to do that.

Then to top it off, I recorded 2 videos and they were there and all. But it was just there, there was no video at all, has no preview or anything. SO FRUSTERATING

And that was my thought exactly, how could it lose connection when it is so close to it, didnt make sense to me....

Was the range extender pointed directly up?

If you fly among other people keep in mind that there is a possibility someone is connecting to your phantom and with various ssh programs can disconnecting you. Make password protected your wifi. You can find information about it in this forum.
It happened to me.

I was having the same issue with the first couple of flights with my Note 3 but not with my wife's LG phone. I put the Note in Airplane mode and then turned on the wifi, I haven't had an issue with losing contact since.

platonas1 said:
If you fly among other people keep in mind that there is a possibility someone is connecting to your phantom and with various ssh programs can disconnecting you. Make password protected your wifi. You can find information about it in this forum.
It happened to me.

I was at a open wide park but password protecting would be ideal, thanks

Catalina36 said:
I was having the same issue with the first couple of flights with my Note 3 but not with my wife's LG phone. I put the Note in Airplane mode and then turned on the wifi, I haven't had an issue with losing contact since.

I was going to try that next, thank you.

Jeffin916 said:
It was pointed at the Phantom, I always am conscious of that. Antenna is always pointed to my right

Not that it should make a difference for The FPV side of things but they say the controller antenna should be pointed up, as if it's giving 'the finger' to the Phantom.

wattage said:
Jeffin916 said:
It was pointed at the Phantom, I always am conscious of that. Antenna is always pointed to my right

Not that it should make a difference for The FPV side of things but they say the controller antenna should be pointed up, as if it's giving 'the finger' to the Phantom.

See, that is conflicting, I have heard in so many places that it be pointed horizontally to your right. I guess I will have to test it

For whip or dipole antennas, You don't want it pointed straight up if the Phantom is directly above you.

The radio signal is weakest directly above the tip of the antenna. (also directly below)
For best reception you want maximum cross-section between the TX antenna and the RX antenna.
Since the RX antenna's are vertical, it's best to have the TX antenna vertical.
Unless it's directly over your head.

Many people like a 45 degree angle to the side which compromises halfway between vertical and horizontal antenna orientation. You won't hit the dead spot above the tip unless the craft is above and to the side at 45 degrees from you which won't happen if you keep facing the craft.
But for absolute maximum range, you want the antennas oriented the same.

Jeffin916 said:
wattage said:
Jeffin916 said:

See, that is conflicting, I have heard in so many places that it be pointed horizontally to your right. I guess I will have to test it
I saw that (pointed to the right) in a DJI video too, but the book says straight up.

I also just now took apart the gimble off of the supporters so I could get a better hands on the 3 connectors. I took them off and blew air inside and then reassembled. I did a video test in the house ( Last time the video was horrible ) This time it was flawless. Now off to test in the air. I will report back

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj