wifi extender

Reaction score
i had the wifi extender operational last night (after unboxing it - just got my P2V yest). i plugged it in overnight, and this morning i have NO lights on the wifi extender - - power switch makes no difference.
can anyone give me a suggestion??
Jerry

Actually, I think it was ON.
Guessing that means something?
What is my next step?

jdubuke said:
Actually, I think it was ON.
Guessing that means something?
What is my next step?

Your next step is turn it OFF and charge it, will take about 5 hours as its charges at a very slow rate. If you left it on when charging it would be using more juice than its taking in from the charger so this will be the cause of you're problem.

Also be aware that it loses charge when not being used so remember to top it up before you go flying or get one of them portable USB chargers so you can connect it and run it even when flat. :)

i have it turned OFF, and plugged into a wall wart (apple iPod wart).
i see no lights - it has been plugged in for over half hour. Should i see any lights at this point?
Jerry

because the iphone app cannot connect because the wifi is not broadcasting an SSID.
what else can i use to see the wifi extender other than the iphone app? am i missing something obvious here?

jdubuke said:
i have it turned OFF, and plugged into a wall wart (apple iPod wart).
i see no lights - it has been plugged in for over half hour. Should i see any lights at this point?
Jerry

The iPod wart may not output enough current to charge the extender. I get a yellow light while charging that I think turns to green when done (read the manual). If you don't have any lights on when charging and you don't have any lights on when powered on, I'm guess you need higher output wall wart. Try your computer or iPad.

IF...I am correct about this, I do NOT believe that the DJI app will indicate the power level of the batteries in the Range Extender...UNLESS you are running a P2V+. If you have a P2v, you WILL see the icon, but I don't think it will ever change to show a charge....

And...I agree with the posts here...the Extender is very slow to recharge...usually taking several times longer than the main P2V battery. When I first got my P2V, I charged it for several hours...with not a glimmer of green...finally I went to bed and woke up the next morning to a Green LIGHT...wheeeee...!

I'm also not sure that an Apple wall-wart will provide adequate charging current. I think if you are using an Apple wall-wart that is furnished with the iPad, you are on solid ground as it is rated at 2.1 Amps. The iPad needs a huskier current to charge it than an iPhone, iTouch, etc. Those smaller devices are just fine with a 1 Amp charger. The charger that I got with my P2V is rated at 2 Amps as well, however the initial charge from a 'dead' battery DOES take a very long time...

Here is a link to my more extensive thoughts and experience about all of this...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13254&start=30#p121804

Keep in mind that not all USB ports are the same...for starters some are not even powered, but meant to only provide a way to connect a USB device's signal lines to a PC, etc. Others DO have the power lines activated...and USB power will always be the correct VOLTAGE...that being 5 volts. However...and here is where a lot of people get lost...there can be a HUGE difference in the "Amp Rating"...this being the measurement of the "AMOUNT OF CURRENT" that is available to charge any device. It's important here to understand that using a higher current (i.e. Amp) rating of your charger will NOT damage...or overload...or burn out...a device that is attached to it. For further reading....see the link I have posted above...

Hope this helps...If not, I've wasted 50 years of working in electronics....!!

If you completely killed the extender's battery by leaving it on, then the battery could be unrecoverable, or so low that you would need to use a special procedure to kick-start it. If you left it on while attempting to charge, it may have possibly burnt out circuitry in the extender. I would open it and make sure the extender battery is solidly connected, then use a meter to take a battery reading across the battery terminals. What voltage are you reading?

Mr. Bird.... I really doubt that leaving it on would burn anything out...more than likely it would just drain the extender battery as fast as the charger tried to supply power...if the charger was anemic, broken, etc...then I think it would just run the Extender's battery down to the point of being exhausted...

I agree that checking the voltage output of the wall-wart might be a good idea...just to make sure that it is working. I am afraid that I don't have the "pin-out" of the connections for USB in front of me now, but you would need to know which of the USB lines should have 5v. on them. Probably not a skill that all of us might have....nor a meter and probes to accomplish this with. Easier way? Try a known good charger...!

My final suggestion would be to make sure you are using a charger with a 2 Amp rating, turn off the range extender and plug in the charger....and then go to bed....if you have lived a good life, when you awake in the A.M. your extender will reward you with a pretty green light....!! Then if you switch it on....in 20-40 seconds, you will have TWO green lights...

Best of luck...

Wow - insightful and thought-provoking replies!! Thank you so much for them!

I just swapped to a 2A 5V charger - lets see what happens..
Fingers crossed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers