Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Wifi Extender, USB connector broke

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Bigdz, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Bigdz

Curious to know if anyone ever had this happen to them?

The last few weeks I started to notice, it was becoming harder to connect the cord to charge extender. Every time I moved it. The light would go off and it wouldn't charge. I thought it was the cord but yesterday I released it wasn't...

Ive had my bird for 7months now. I guess the constant putting in and taking out, eventually dislodged the USB connecter 'til it broke. I had the FPVLR stage 2 installed in it. I don't think this made the dislodging process faster. But it does make me think it might have assisted in it. Prohaps I installed it wrong...

Anyway, I ordered a new one(sucks!). I plan on waiting a bit before I imstall the stage 2 kit in the new one. Hoping this doesn't become a reoccurring theme. This is the last thing I thought would go....

Also should have mentioned, USB connector is solder but there is no glue on it to really secure it. Maybe I should use a little hot glue on the new one.

2. RichWest

The USB connector is a tight fit on the extender, just never a simple straight insert. I've had no issues to date.

Could you replace the USB connector? I can't recall, but it's connected to the board, right? Should be a simple and cheap repair. A lot less than a new extender.

3. Bigdz

Im sure it could be replaced, if I had skills soldering :cry:

4. RichWest

Not sure where you're located in the world, but I'll try the repair for you. Worse case I screw it up, best case you'd have a spare extender... I have a hot air re-work station itching to be used...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCjt65Nei3A

5. Loaderbull

Yes i had one break on me, and funnily enough (not) the replacement was faulty out of the box! They can be reflowed yes, the replacement one i had i opened to see what it was, and the solder joints had cracked off the pads. Simple to fix if you have the means, if not, a right pain.

6. CityZen

It's not so difficult to resolder those mini-USB connectors. The technique I use is to melt a big glop of solder over all the pins, then use solder braid to wick up all the excess.

I was also able to repair one that had no pads left, by soldering tiny wires. That was a huge pain, but I was eventually successful.

7. Bigdz

Appreciate! the tips, but there is no way "I" can put it back via soldering- I'll just have to take the hit in the wallet, so to speak... thanks again!

8. rotorwash

I notice mine does this when i plug in might want to hot glue it tight