Wifi extender update on P2

Reaction score
Went out to fly a couple of weeks ago and everything was good to go, then box popped up to upgrade wifi extender, with no option other than update. Now no longer able to connect to iPhone. After two weeks of tech support with no fix, tech support said to send it in for repair,and if it's under warranty it will be covered. Well it's a P2, so it's definitely not under warranty. If their update broke my drone, why shouldn't they pay for it. Anybody else gone through this? They probably knew it would mess up drones so we would have to buy newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Double_DoubleG
It burns out board 3 in your camera.
That is why app was removed and repaired. There are TONS, of threads about this. Delete your app, and reinstall new or older version, unfortunately your camera will require repair, or replace, but now your extender is upgraded, it will no longer burn out cameras ( the update itself causes the burnout? Not sure why? ) but have done tons of tests on this. Always during update. Hope this helps. And yes DJI, should repair or replace at no cost, but they DON'T!

Take care, and good luck my friend!
J Dot
:cool:

J Dot Can I fix this myself? Do I need new camera or can the board be replaced?

Yes
Easy to fix, just get a new board ( plus models you can find boards on eBay, but are rare, around $100, for the egg camera on vision, it is board #3, you'll have to contact a repair shop, local, or online, just ask around, but they are not avail through DJI, either for that matter, they'd rather you buy new, but screw that, this stuff is easy to swap out, I have a number of a friend, who has any part you need, but a bit pricey , but also garanteed to work, eBay you roll the dice, I've gotten lucky, but also had headache from eBay as well. So up to you, I'd research some but if all else fails, I'll provide the number.
No problem, get the board, and I'll help you, I can make you a how to video ( YouTube has several as well )

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
One more question, I took it up yesterday and it still flys like it should and will record video by manually pushing the button on the camera, does that help narrow down what part or parts I need. Thanks for your advice.

Yes,
It is the wireless part that fails, camera operation ( manual operation ) is untouched, although I have seen 1 or 2 wifi boards ( board #4 ) , and cam boards ( board #1 ) go bad on the camera eggs, but might just be normal burnout.( in other words, not caused by update ? ) received cameras in that condition, but no story to figure out why ( only " it quit working. ") lol
But the 3 newest ( bad upgrade ) cameras I got in are all board 3.
The plus cameras are always a bad board. ( if no crash is involved ) and wifi unit is good. Ribbon cables can also play hell, if not installed correctly, but they don't just stop working, either they work or they don't! ( unless torn or damaged ( hence crash )). So unlikely a ribbon problem.

I have found no other solution , other than swap boards out to fix.
I think it is in the firmware honestly, no physical damage, or visual burnout, like you see when wifi module burns out, you can see the burnouts with your eyes, but the boards are several layers thick, burnout could be on any layer? So I just swap them out ( label old as BAD, or dispose of it. ) but good luck hope this helps.

J Dot

I too, lost the ability to create a network connection to my drone after upgrading the range extender. I would like to make the repairs myself, but I want to be sure that I replace the correct parts. I am having a hard time finding "main board # 3". Is the DJIPV-10 the part than needs to be replaced?

TIA!
DJIPV-10.JPG

If you craft is a vision non plus, camera egg model, it is board 3 in egg. Not avail through DJI, you'll need to locate a repair shop , or find a crashed camera with good boards, just swap out board 3, if it is a plus, you'll need a gimbal board.

J Dot

Is it possible to convert my Phantom 2 Vision to a Phantom 2 "non- vision" and attach my Gopro camera?

Yes,
Using a HD gimbal, or China gimbal.
You'll need IOSD, video Tx/RX, cable ( GoPro/power/com wire ) & monitor. But can be done. There are several threads about it, if you search around. Good luck.
( I'm trying to work out s deal with a guy for 25 crashed camera eggs ( for parts ) but still in the works. If I do get them, I'll have board number 3.

J Dot

That is why app was removed and repaired. There are TONS, of threads about this. Delete your app, and reinstall new or older version, unfortunately your camera will require repair, or replace, but now your extender is upgraded, it will no longer burn out cameras ( the update itself causes the burnout? Not sure why? ) but have done tons of tests on this. Always during update. Hope this helps. And yes DJI, should repair or replace at no cost, but they DON'T!

J Dot
Hello,

After I updated my Vision App I also got the message to update the WiFi extender on my Phantom 2 Vision. Now I don't get no live video anymore. I can take pictures, movies and synchronyse them. My drone still flies OK and I can see all data. Except no live video. Would my problem also be solved by replacing my egg camera?

Hello,

After I updated my Vision App I also got the message to update the WiFi extender on my Phantom 2 Vision. Now I don't get no live video anymore. I can take pictures, movies and synchronyse them. My drone still flies OK and I can see all data. Except no live video. Would my problem also be solved by replacing my egg camera?

Most likely yes,
If you've tried everything else, like rebinding, deleting/reinstalling app, track hidden wifi, or if you know your camera is bad, either replace board 3, or a new egg. Only good thing is now your extender is upgraded, new camera will be safe, I believe burnout happens during update procedure. But I've tested updated extenders with new cameras, works fine.
Bummer man, but sounds like the same thing we all faced before!

Good luck!
J Dot

Most likely yes,
If you've tried everything else, like rebinding, deleting/reinstalling app, track hidden wifi, or if you know your camera is bad, either replace board 3, or a new egg. Only good thing is now your extender is upgraded, new camera will be safe, I believe burnout happens during update procedure. But I've tested updated extenders with new cameras, works fine.
Bummer man, but sounds like the same thing we all faced before!

Good luck!
J Dot
Thanks for your fast reply. I find it strange that I still can control the camera and also send the files from the camera to my phone. That is also via WiFi or not?
I already re-installed app, re-linked camera. Tested all kinds of startup procedures. With a WiFi detector I also see a hidden WiFi channel (think it is camera). Sadly in Belgium I can not find replacement boards. Only very expensive spare cameras.

Sent mine in to DJI for repair. Their diagnosis was camera wifi v3.5 PCBA. $22.00. Bottom cover $10. Service 110$ for a total of $142.00.
In the comments section they said customer admits to crashing unit. Total LIE. Now they are reviewing charges. We'll see.

Yes,
I've fixed several, some the same some different, but most of the extender updates case board 3 burnout, but did have a couple with top boards bad, and one with bad wifi board. Wifi board bad get ( cannot connect to phantom network ) dead app all together ( if you can even get extender to bind at all ), camera board was spinning cog, but no telemetry, only extender battery was blue ( no camera control with manual button, just dead ) now, board 3, you get telemetry, just not live feed, just a spinning cog, constantly. These are just my findings so far, but seem pretty constant.

I've been trying to get my hands on some parts, but getting hard to find since app crash keeps happening. Repair shops aren't letting there junk cameras go, or they want top dollar for them. Wish someone would make an aftermarket camera replacement, just bolt and go ( cheap replacement ) but same quality camera., or aftermarket replacement boards! I'm sure someone can do it!

J Dot

Reactions: ScottG and dirkclod
Yes,
I've fixed several, some the same some different, but most of the extender updates case board 3 burnout, but did have a couple with top boards bad, and one with bad wifi board. Wifi board bad get ( cannot connect to phantom network ) dead app all together ( if you can even get extender to bind at all ), camera board was spinning cog, but no telemetry, only extender battery was blue ( no camera control with manual button, just dead ) now, board 3, you get telemetry, just not live feed, just a spinning cog, constantly. These are just my findings so far, but seem pretty constant.

I've been trying to get my hands on some parts, but getting hard to find since app crash keeps happening. Repair shops aren't letting there junk cameras go, or they want top dollar for them. Wish someone would make an aftermarket camera replacement, just bolt and go ( cheap replacement ) but same quality camera., or aftermarket replacement boards! I'm sure someone can do it!

J Dot
Thanks again for your expertise. Going to look for new camera with a reasonable price. I was also thinking about buying the Phantom 4. But now I have doubts. I don't trust DJI anymore.
Another option is the Typhoon H. But they are very strict with the no-flyzones. That would meam that I no longer can take off in my garden. Although I do not live in a city I am within 5 miles of a s mall airport.

Nice to see that somebody can help us with his findings and expertise.

Reactions: J Dot
Today replaced my camera with a new one. Price 299 €. After binding it with my WiFi repeater I got my live video back. Conclusion : J Dot was fully correct in his conclusion. The update burned a board in my camera.

Sadly there is something wrong with my two batteries. While flying they drop from 70% to 10% in an instant. Checking them with the assistant software does not show any errors. So I have to solve another problem. Buying two new batteries would mean another cost.

J Dot
If you craft is a vision non plus, camera egg model, it is board 3 in egg. Not avail through DJI, you'll need to locate a repair shop , or find a crashed camera with good boards, just swap out board 3, if it is a plus, you'll need a gimbal board.

J Dot
JDot, I am guessing I burnt out the camera board #3 It willnot even connect to my wifi. I was thinking it was the wifi module but now I see your theory. This sucks!!! I need this for work :( DJI was no help.

Hey Robelander
I'll be on tonight, and see if I can offer some pics and such for you. At work right now, but I'll be around tonight!
( also posted at your other post )
But happy to help!

J Dot

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member