WiFi Extender and Trees

Reaction score
I will be flying in FPV in close range (75 feet AGL and not more than 400 feet distance) but there will be some trees between me and the Phantom plus intermittently. Do I need to be concerned about a broken connection due to trees? This is in a remote area in Texas so I am not worried about other interference. Thanks for any input you can give me.

Presuming you're flying stock antennas, not that upgraded antennas will perform better. Anything that has leaves or needles still on the trees will be an issue, to what level is based on how many trees between you and the bird. Pine Trees and cedar are the worst about signal transmission. Live Oak, now winter, still have leaves and will cause issues. Others without leaves will be less of an issue. In my experience the density for the amount of trees causes me issues, less trees less of an issue...obviously.

Standing next to a tree-line versus 100' away can make a big difference, in distance away performance. You just have to fly and determine by experience. Besides the RTH feature will take over if all else fails, just make sure your home point is set, altitude is reading correctly and adjust your RTH altitude that's appropriate for the area you're flying...then add 20'. You can always take control when the signal is reestablished and try something else.

Good Luck!

Two days ago I did something like that. I was at about 100 feet in front of a tree line. The PV2+ was flying some 100 feet behind them, in a stright steady flight. After 3-4 seconds, got the lost signal in my fpv. Standard bird (v3) and control.

Be careful. Specially if there are more trees...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj