Wifi during flight

Reaction score
Anyone know if enabling wifi (for example on a Go Pro) while flying will disrupt anything calibration or compass wise and bring the copter to the ground? Have heard it does but wanted to get further consensus.
Thanks!

DJI advises that you do not use WiFi on the GoPro with the Phantom. Both the Phantom transmitter and WiFi (for some modes) use a 2.4GHz carrier. In theory the WiFi could interfere with the control of the Phantom. I have yet to see any reports where this has been proven to be true. I've flown my Hero 2 with the WiFi enabled several times with no ill effects but found it to be of such limited range as to be useless. YMMV.

I did use WiFi for when I was doing a test flight and trying all modes on the hero3 black, I left the phantom in a GPS hover about 10m up and about the same distance away from me. There was a slight breeze but it had no issues and held position fine I could also see the live video feed and change modes via the android app. Your not going to get a great deal more range out of the video and with the video lag in the app its not of much use anyway for anything other then something like that. Normal use your just using more gopro battery with very little benefit, flights are only about 10min and I prefer to have the camera always recording, turning it on and off wouldnt save much battery if any and you may end up losing footage of your next unplanned crash :)

Regarding DJI's recommendation of not using it because of possible interferance wouldn't this be the same case flying next to other phantoms or even houses with WiFi? Theres a fair percentage of houses with WiFi and I can get a signal from mine a fair way from the house and pick up 3 or 4 others from neighbouring houses. So most likely any time I fly within 100m of a house there will be some wifi signal for the phantom to deal with.

Well, it's a little different when you've got an object mere inches away from the NAZA sending out a Wifi signal.

I had flown a handful of flights prior to DJI announcing the hazard,. so i just leave it off now.

Yea well its definitely not recommended and little point due to lack of range and video lag, that one flight is the only time I did it and unless doing a similar test I see very little point in taking a chance for something that won't do much for you in normal flight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic