WiFi Connection Continually Drops & Reconnects

Reaction score
I have over 30 hours of flight time now with no issues but now I am losing the WiFi connection no matter where I am flying. I can be in my house, out in a field, up on a hill, and when I connect to my camera so I can begin filming, the WiFi breaks connection. When I reestablish the WiFi, it breaks again and again and will not hold a good connection.

I can have all functions working properly, and connect with the WiFi and be watching it, and the connection will drop, then come back on again.

I have lost many a great video shots because the connection drops repeatedly. I have reviewed the manual, re-calibrated the compass, updated the firmware and can't seem to find an answer. Then it says my internet connection is unstable.

I am way away from an y magnetic sources but it doesn't seem to make a difference where I am when this happens. The locations are not the issue as I have flown in the same places many times before with no degradation in WiFi signal.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S3. Does anyone know what causes this and how it can be corrected.

Thanks

QJ

PS: Revised. I learned that the phantom 2 vision camera has a defect with the internal transmitter. I had to send mine back in so they could replace the camera. Can't wait to get it back. Make sure if it happens at least twice, that you contact your seller especially within the 30 day warranty. If you wait, the cost for a new camera can be $550.00 US.

Semaj: Don't own an ipad. Had no problem using my smart phone with 30+ hours of flight time until now. Phone is up to date and works fine.

Pull_Up: I don't see where in the Galaxy 3s where there is a setting for advanced wifi settings. Where do you see this?

QJ

I don't run a Galaxy (I'm on a Nexus 4 with vanilla KitKat) but a quick search came up with this:

Swipe from top to bottom (to get to notifications screen)
On the upper right corner click on the white gear
Click on wi fi
click on the menu button (right to the left of the home button)
click the first option on the newly appeared menu (advanced)
uncheck "Auto Network Switch"

Try that?

Pull Up

I don't see those on this phone. I have accessed all areas known for the wifi settings and don't see what your describing.
Pull_Up said:
click on the menu button (right to the left of the home button)
click the first option on the newly appeared menu (advanced)
uncheck "Auto Network Switch"

What I did do was unchecked all wifi's and checked allow only approved devices. Maybe too many wifi signals are causing this, but I don't know how especially when it was working fine for so long.

I don't have the advanced option but did find this on google. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/07/11 ... -problems/

QJ

That might have been for a different Galaxy model, then. Hopefully someone with one of yours might be able to help. I'm not saying it'll fix the issue, but there were reports from users of frequently dropped connections because of this setting which drops the Phantom connection to try and look for another one with internet access.

Pull_Up said:
That might have been for a different Galaxy model, then. Hopefully someone with one of yours might be able to help. I'm not saying it'll fix the issue, but there were reports from users of frequently dropped connections because of this setting which drops the Phantom connection to try and look for another one with internet access.

Yup, I did. Tried all the fixes listed in a google search. Next test flight tomorrow. Next filming, on Sunday Jan 19th.

Thanks

QJ

Re: WiFi Connection Continually Drops & Reconnects

I'm still having major wifi connection issues also. I'm using an iPhone 5s and on my last flight really paid attention to making sure my wifi extender was pointed at the P2V as much as it could be. I had no connection more than I had a connection. I was also in an open field away from interference and tried an iPhone 5c. Pretty bummed about the wifi part so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigPig said:
I'm still having major wifi connection issues also. I'm using an iPhone 5s and on my last flight really paid attention to making sure my wifi extender was pointed at the P2V as much as it could be. I had no connection more than I had a connection. I was also in an open field away from interference and tried an iPhone 5c. Pretty bummed about the wifi part so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The wifi range of the Phantom 2 Vision is great out of the box and even more amazing if you mod the repeater with an external antenna. If yours is cutting out at short distance and you're maintaining a clean line of sight with no obstructions it's possible that you have either a malfunctioning repeater or theirs a problem with the Vision camera either way I would contact your dealer for replacement.

I was afraid of that...I figured there was no way there wouldn't be more complaints about this if the wifi range is what I've experienced so far. Thanks for the reply.

BigPig said:
I was afraid of that...I figured there was no way there wouldn't be more complaints about this if the wifi range is what I've experienced so far. Thanks for the reply.

No problem. It could be something as simple as a loose antenna wire in the repeater, to something more serious. Even in an urban environment around a lot of wifi you should be seeing no less than 200 meter range. It's probably best just to send it back.

On the other hand, If you want to take your repeater apart just to make sure a loose wire isn't the problem as well as seeing how easy an external antenna mod is to improve range you can check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEHzDi4hHKU

WiFi Connection Continually Drops & Reconnects

Since mine's just over a week old and I had to practically beg my wife to let me spend $1200 on this bird, in this case it may be best for me to get an exchange. Not to mention I just paid $200 for the Tradecraft case I received yesterday (super nice case by the way). I saw this video the other day and am definitely doing it though. Thanks!!

Qwadjok said:
I have over 30 hours of flight time now with no issues but now I am losing the WiFi connection no matter where I am flying. I can be in my house, out in a field, up on a hill, and when I connect to my camera so I can begin filming, the WiFi breaks connection. When I reestablish the WiFi, it breaks again and again and will not hold a good connection.

I can have all functions working properly, and connect with the WiFi and be watching it, and the connection will drop, then come back on again.

I have lost many a great video shots because the connection drops repeatedly. I have reviewed the manual, re-calibrated the compass, updated the firmware and can't seem to find an answer. Then it says my internet connection is unstable.

I am way away from an y magnetic sources but it doesn't seem to make a difference where I am when this happens. The locations are not the issue as I have flown in the same places many times before with no degradation in WiFi signal.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S3. Does anyone know what causes this and how it can be corrected.

Just out of curiosity, did you change anything regarding your start up sequence after your successful flights? The reason I ask is that I had a similar experience yesterday. I was in the house dinking with the PV to check some camera functions. I started everything up and then pulled up the dji app on my phone (Galaxy Note 3) when I realized that the camera on the PV was turned off. I turned the camera on and went to WiFi and attempted to link to the PV. The connection began to cut in and out and flashing up warnings about an unstable WiFi connection. I had a "WTF" moment! After a few attempts at re-establishing the connection, I decided to shut everything down and start over. After following the correct startup sequence - Voila! The Wifi connection was normal and solid!

This probably is not what you're encountering, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Hope you and BigPig get your resolutions soon!

Thanks

QJ

My problem is new. I have over 30 hours of flight time logged with no problems. Then suddenly, the wifi signal keeps dropping. I have my P2V sitting on my desk next to me as I write this and the wifi keeps connecting then disconnecting.

I can't believe this only lasts for a few seconds then disconnects again. I have lost a lot of good video because of this. I have searched and cannot find a solution yet. My Galaxy S3 has a good internet and wifi. It just acts up with the Phantom 2 V.

All systems have been updated properly as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Keep flyin straight......

QJ

Camera works fine when the connection is working. Bought it through Amazon. Think they would take the repeater back?

I am not flying behind anything. It does this even when I am sitting at my desk or if I am outside. No matter where I am the wifi signal keeps cutting out especially when I activate the camera. And there is nothing from Colin Guin on the DJI site or on youtube that corrects this. I will contact DJI offices on Monday.

QJ

I've been having similar issues after 30+ trouble free flights under my belt. My connection seems fragile, I start up fine, flight out 50m and then it drops in and out. It seems to have only started since the last update (I'm using an iPhone 4S). I don't think other wifi connections are the problem cos I'm out in the middle of nowhere. I have just re-read the PV manual and I see DJI recommend setting the preview quality to the lowest setting when other interference is present so I'm gonna try that tomorrow. If it's not that, then it's going back to the dealer unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just tried the lower preview quality and it worked fine but I don't think that was the initial problem because the highest quality worked fine too. I suspect it just needed a reboot...
Will keep an eye on any future hiccups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben

That doesn't take care of the problem. I have been on the phone and sending e-mails back and forth all day and here is what I found out. DJI does not answer their phone. All you get is a recorded message and then it hangs up on you.

This is what you need to do. If at anytime you experience just one time, your Wifi signal drops, or you are unable to use the camera, make sure you contact the vendor you purchased it from. This is critical because you have in most cases a 30 day warranty. My wifi and camera issue gradually started at week 5 and progressed till the camera failed.

The problem lies with the transmitter built into the camera malfunctioning. It cannot be fixed through software or firmware updates either. That is why it is so important to get on it the first time it happens and before the 30 days expire. If it happens to you at day 29, get on the phone or e-mail. To replace the camera will cost you hundreds. I am losing out on a great outdoor event this weekend because of this, but they are fixing it at no charge. You will be required to send back your quad and controller so they can fix it. Ask for an RMA #. The sooner you see this happen, the faster you can get it fixed. Any questions, write me here. If it happens just once to you, it will gradually start getting worse until you are beyond the warranty date and then have to chuk out alot of cash to get it fixed. DJI knows about this also, but you'd think they would let people know......

PS: Just like the big house car manufacturers, DJI knows this problem exists and they should do a recall on the cameras, or at least extend the warranty. Remember, if you crash your quad and it appears ok on the outside, you may have damaged the delicate circuitry on the inside from blunt force non intrusive impact. Like getting hit in the head hard but did not puncture your skull. It still hurts.

Just curious, for those seeing this type of failure what camera recording resolution setting were you using? The most common are 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps. I notice that when using 720p60, the wireless connection is less stable and drops a lot more often than 1080p30. I'm not proposing this is in any way related to complete failure (that some are having) just curious.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav