Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Wierd day flying

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by azisbest, Mar 28, 2015.

1. azisbest

Well I had my first fly away episode today. After checking on how many sats my phantom had spotted (11) and checking to see if the telemetry seemed ok I sent the bird up. Soon after take off it took a dive at full speed on about a 45degree trajectory towards the rocky hillside. Expecting a horrific crash I was pleased that it headed skyward on a tangent I had not instructed it to but at least away from the ground. Thinking I had seen the last of it I finally turned off the remote and thankfully the "returning to home" message appeared in my iphone. Whew. Having not had enough excitement I went to another area and took off yet again, this time if flew as it should but all of a sudden the FPV locked up and I could not get it working again until I returned to the ground and rebooted the app. After that it worked flawlessly. As far as the fly away I had gone to an area maybe 40 miles from my usual haunts and at maybe 600 or so feet higher in elevation without doing a compass recalibration, could this possibly have caused the issue? Also I took off fairly soon after having arrived at the launch point but it did like I say have a lock on 11 sats. Thoughts anyone?

2. azisbest

As an addendum I just realized that I did not even look to see if I had the slowly flashing green lights before I took off, what an idiot. Could the bird have a lock on 11 sats and still not have the green lights?

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

No that will have had no effect at all.

4. DaveGray

I lost contact with my Phantom today as well, flew out of range.... only a frozen iPhone display saying connection broken.... I was high and far out filming an MX track..... for 3 minutes I had nothing, I thought I'd lost it...My heart was racing, my hands and knees were shaking.....I was devastated...
    Then it came home....yippeeeeeeee.....so grateful for the come home function