Wider landing gear?

phaz said:
Are they worth it and what brand is the best?
phaz

Curious why you want wider landing gear? I have heard of some asking for longer gear to keep it from rocking in either direction at landing.

Also when you think about doing any mod, try to think if the mod will hender the copter in anyway. Example; If I add this to my copter, will it cause it to hang on tree branches easier if it comes in contact with one?

I bought the wider landing gear and still have not installed it. Still in the package. I think the Phantom looks more aggressive with it on, but I havent had a need to install it.. I do wish I could lower the camera so the props stay out of the filming when I want the horizon in view

You mean like these - Got these off Ebay after splitting a set of Simonseys from Shapeways.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 578
Hello...totally new to this hobby (2 weeks today), but after doing a ton of research prior to flying, thought I'd extend my landing gear myself a bit until I got the hang of things. Instead of buying anything, took a section of standard PEX tubing, sliced it lengthwise and wrapped it around the stock landing gear. Works like a charm; originally extended it 3cm past the original specs, but after taking shots and having to edit out the extended gear (and also getting better at landing) they now extend only 0.5cm. It's also a great place to write "reward for return" with your phone# on it...

Although the wider gear might help in windy landings, the wider 'and' taller gear will probably better protect the gimbal/camera than the stock gear.
It not only places them higher above the ground, the extra width might act like a spring-bumper if you come in hot and catywampus.
They might even help with stability a bit by adding to the pendulum effect, but I suspect that would be minor .... if at all. :?: :?: :?:

On the other hand, although I have a set that I got for my old P2V and a failed GoodLuckBuy 2 axis gimbal project, I have not used them, and don't know if they will negatively effect flight characteristics, so ........ this is all speculation on my part. :oops: :)

Before i even considered a flight i had to extend the landing gear because the camera and gimbal are **** to close to the landing surface.
So i did a DIY something involving some PVC pipes that they use to run electrical wires in it and some ducktape.
Fair enough it does look like a beauty but my camera and gimbal are still in excellent condition.
It does the job after going true some real nasty crashes.
I am still figuring out how to make a DIY landing gear.
I'm going to sleep over it.

For a cheap wider gear, if you have some spare carbon fiber, or maybe hunting arrows, cut in an "X" shape and affix to the existing gear. It works for me. I land on a boat, and I can't afford tip-overs on the boat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers