Wide Angle/Normal View?

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an add on that converts the lens of the Phantom 2 Vision + camera to a non wide angle view?
Would love to be able to shoot video in a narrow field view to get more depth out of the videos?
Thanks for any help!

I did see a discussion here about 6 months ago and a website that offered a replacement lens.

If you look on youtube there is at least one showing it but getting hold of the lens at a sensible price and then fitting it seems to have put a lot of people off.

Idea sounds great though.

That's what I thought! Wide angle is great but action shots require more depth of field!
Thanks for the response!

there is a lens swap you can do rather than an add on over the existing lens. but it isn't cheap 180 bucks ish if I remember correctly, and it is not a task for the faint hearted either as you have to disassemble the camera. they also do a lens for a gopro too to give similar results. the lens change gets rid of the fisheye effect that we get quite badly on the phantoms..

this video shows the results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlXoJFM1Blk

this video shows the lens swap !!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCFjgAtPqGM

can't find the lens supplier though . DOH!!

Yikes! Not for the faint of heart is correct! The effect from the changed lens is stunning - just what I wanted - but putting in that new lens is not a job I would want to take on! Thanks for the info!

Expensive barely describes it! You can get almost get a GoPro camera for that money - of course you'd have the same problem! ;)

have you tried narrow settings on the DJI App? This will remove the wide angle and minimal fish eye.
Nominate 1080p and choose the cropped screen icon for narrow.

Something else to consider before spending a lot of money. The balance of the gimbal could be off from what its designed for. Any lens replacement too heavy or too light may be an issue and cause premature failure of the gimbal. Now I am not positive about this, but I know its true with the more expensive gimbals.

Mako79 said:
have you tried narrow settings on the DJI App? This will remove the wide angle and minimal fish eye.

Aha perhaps this might be the answer! Problem is I will have to wait a while to try it out - too cold and too much snow to fly right now!
Thanks - will check this out!

RCRobman said:
Mako79 said:

Aha perhaps this might be the answer! Problem is I will have to wait a while to try it out - too cold and too much snow to fly right now!
Thanks - will check this out!

It's like a different camera in narrow mode, however any stills are still recorded wide and it's somewhat annoying that you no longer get a viewfinder image showing how a still will look - unless you change back before taking a few shots.

Keeping movements slow and smooth is more important - one of the advantages of wide angle is that movement of the camera is less unsettling when viewed.

All narrow view does it auto crop for you. You might aswell crop yourself in post production for the same results.

locoworks said:
All narrow view does it auto crop for you. You might aswell crop yourself in post production for the same results.

Not really.
You are cropping 1080p. It will be more pixelated if you try and upscale back to 1080.
Where as narrow will remain 1080p

No mention of software solutions?
Personally, I kind of like the fisheye view, but when I need to remove it I do so in software. My preferred way of doing this is with an effect in Final Cut. It can also be done in Photoshop, and there are some free apps out there that wil do it (including GoPro Studio - if you use a GoPro which is a MUCH better camera than the stock Vision+)

I don't think any lens ad on or replacements will give you the depth of field effect (foreground in focus, background blurred, or vice versa). There are ways to fake it using shape masks in Final Cut and other editing software, but it's tedious.

If you are looking to add depth to your shots, as opposed to a depth of field effect, then you should probably be tweaking your mid tone exposure in post. Bringing it down a smidge. That always adds a lot of depth to aerial images.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers