Why update??

Reaction score
Ok please be gentle with your replies because I'm one of those "which one is the ANY key" kinda guys but just wondering why I need to update if I'm not having any issues?? I received my Phantom Vision the first week they were released and have had 20 - 25 problem free flights in order to take still shots for Real Estate purposes. I'm a Mac guy but could probably get someone with a PC to help me update. I should add that I have no desire to fly in anything but GPS mode. Just came across this sight and was a little surprised and concerned to see how many people are having issues but I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" .

Why update??

Look forward to any replies, please & thank you
digidydawg

let's hope you don't have any problems. I got mine at the first of the month when all the talk was about fly aways and they would drop out of the sky. So when dji released the updated firmware I didn't want to take my chances with a machine I just spend $1200 on. I've not had any issues with the firmware, it's flown great and no errors with battery signals. My only errors have been human errors, as in flying it to close to trees and having them gobble up my machine. Stupid trees! I guess it's like getting the flu shot. I've never got the flu before, but decided to lessen the chances of getting the flu by getting the shot.

This is why some have crashes and flyaways and then ask why. :roll:
I can't help but wonder how people crash these things when it's NOT a mechanical issue. You can't get much easier. Some people just don't have the hand eye or something for these hobbies. Even though you really don't need much any more. I came from flying helis before they were even cool so this is just a cakewalk on a sunny day. Mechanical gyros and all. Cramming crappy cameras on them. If you wreck these, you may want to consider another hobby.

you want to update to unlock all the features of the vision. like naza and being able to fly farther than 200 feet.

So you see a new firmware update and it lists some bug fixes and new features? Let's see the pros and cons:

PROS:
- New features
- Bug fixes

CONS:
- May contain bugs
- May mess things up during the process

Are the benefits worthwhile?
So far, it's a resounding YES, because the last 2 updates addressed some big bugs on the P2V; mainly battery issues that may cause your bird to fall out of the sky mid-flight (battery issues).

So address the cons:
1. If you're not comfortable being the first one; then let other people update their firmware and read their reports.
2. Read DJI's release notes for all information regarding firmware update procedures. Look up youtube videos on the procedure. Read up on forum about the process and ask questions for things not addressed yet.

I'd reckon with the two points above, you can substantially reduce any risks related to firmware updates.

Just had another problem free flight on a beautiful blue sky day. Didn't try to set any altitude or distance records. Didn't need to or have any desire to do any fancy maneuvers. Just wanted to take some nice pictures. The Vision manual states that "The PHANTOM 2 VISION Assistant software and the PHANTOM RC Assistant software are used for advanced adjustments of the PHANTOM 2 VISION". As I've stated before I have no desire to fly the Vision in anything other than GPS mode so why take the chance if you're happy with the status quo.

Appreciate the feedback though

Because not every failure happens on the first 10 or 20 flights... because there are reports of battery contact issues happening after 50+ flights.

So when it happens to you, when you see 'INVALID BATTERY' error as your phantom is flying 1000' away or above water and it's losing altitude quickly... and there's nothing you can do to stop it...

(but if you've updated your firmware, it wouldn't happen that way).

LeoS said:
Because not every failure happens on the first 10 or 20 flights... because there are reports of battery contact issues happening after 50+ flights.

So when it happens to you, when you see 'INVALID BATTERY' error as your phantom is flying 1000' away or above water and it's losing altitude quickly... and there's nothing you can do to stop it...

(but if you've updated your firmware, it wouldn't happen that way).

Thanks for your input LeoS but from what I've read on here it seems the "INVALID BATTERY" issue is more a physical connection problem rather than a software problem??

I dreaded installing the 1.08 version, but I did. I went in to the app, powered up everything after the install. Got the "Invalid battery" warning. I did not fly it, but I did turn everything off and pulled the battery out and reinserted it. I gave it a little tap, like you would tap in a magizine in a gun, and did not have the warning again.

It seems that this is a reoccuring problem when updates are done. I guess I am going to have to hold my breath again when I fly it.

Chuck

digidydawg said:
Thanks for your input LeoS but from what I've read on here it seems the "INVALID BATTERY" issue is more a physical connection problem rather than a software problem??

I dreaded installing the 1.08 version, but I did. I went in to the app, powered up everything after the install. Got the "Invalid battery" warning. I did not fly it, but I did turn everything off and pulled the battery out and reinserted it. I gave it a little tap, like you would tap in a magizine in a gun, and did not have the warning again.

It seems that this is a reoccuring problem when updates are done. I guess I am going to have to hold my breath again when I fly it.

Chuck

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But my understanding is that: yes, the battery issue is mainly a hardware\design issue. There are 2 pairs of contact points between the battery and the phantom:

1. The first pair supplies the main power to Phantom.
2. The second pair connects the battery controller to the phantom. DJI uses this to 'authenticate' batteries, so users can only use original DJI branded batteries (until it's cracked and cloned anyway) and also use this communication line to pass on battery measurements and other information (# of cycles, etc) from the battery controller.

If you have problem with the first pair, then kaput. Bye bye. But this is very rare, practically unheard of.

Now the second pair is the problematic one. They may have designed it a little short (?) thus it can be dislodged unintentionally due to several reasons: vibrations, temperature changes, user error, etc.
If this pair gets disconnected, your Phantom still has power and it can still get rough measurement of the battery pack as a whole (not the individual cells), so the Phantom can still fly... BUT, on firmware v1.0, the default behaviour when this happens is to land. Even if your battery still has 99% in it and you're 1000' up.

I don't know how a firmware update can trigger 'invalid battery' issue. Can you point me to those posts? It may be a misdiagnosis.

I was in a similar boat as you digidydawg. I hadn't had one single issue, and wasn't sure what's was causing the issues others were having as I read and read various concerns. Ultimately I caved to the prevailing concensus that it's usually for the best to keep your firmware current. If for no other reason, you can remove yourself from some blame, if something does happen, and get past the very first question that would be asked. " what firmware were you running"?

It sounds like the distance and advanced capabilities aren't a concern for you, as they weren't that much for me either. Having said that , the attitude mode is great for taking pics and videos while the phantom stays level, as opposed to sideways as it fights the wind to stay locked in place. Not only does naza allow you to have access to atti mode, you can assign a switch to return home, which you may prefer to shutting off the controller.

Those benefits assiside, and there are more, that battery thing does seem to be related to software not just hardware. I think it may have to do with DJIs strategies for protecting their proprietary battery sales. I hadn't had one problem, and then while updating the software,the computer screen said "error, not a smart battery" I was really concerned at that point, but once I completed all the steps, it ended well.

Lasty, I do notice that the gps mode doesn't hold position as firmly as it used to before I enabled Naza, but I do like the added capabilities.

Hope there's something useful in all that to consider,

Rich

To date, the "invalid battery" warning has always been triggered by the loss of comm between Vision & SmartBatttery, with the spring-loaded gold pins & PV-to-Battery clearance on the data connector being the culprits. Firmware prior to V1.05 will initiate an auto-landing wherever the Vision is located when that condition occurs.

V1.05 firmware no longer auto-lands when this happens; instead it throws a warning message onto the Vision app screen (as it did before) but allows you to continue flying. As the Vision also monitors the battery voltage at all times, if it detects the battery has dropped below 10.65 volts it will initiate an auto-landing, ...again: wherever it happens to be at that moment.

V1.08 firmware adds to v1.05 and will initiate an auto-landing if the Vision sees less than 6 GPS satellites for 20-seconds. Also, the Central Board firmware has been changed to improve the calculation method of battery life (no, there were no further details).

At some point (believed to be v1.05) the firmware was optimized to improve 5.8Ghz Control Signal recognition to help it discern a real TX/Controller/Pilot's signal from similar signals on the channel (in previous firmware if you stick forward continuously and the Vision loses your signal for a moment but picks up a similar signal, it may continue forward even if you let off the stick or attempt to course correct - this has been "improved" and hopefully fixed).

I hope that clears things up a bit,
iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie