Why such horrible video quality?

JTC

Reaction score
I took my phantom 3s to the Philippines and was excited to get some great videos. I don't understand why the quality was so poor.
There were no WiFi routers or cell towers, or electrical cables . I took this video using the same settings, but 70 Km away.
. Clear as i would expect.

The second video is in 720 resolution and both look like you used the video from the display device and not the SD card. The only thing I cannot explain is why the first video is then 1080 and not 720. But they both look exactly like you did not use the video from the SD card and instead saved the cached files from your phone or tablet. Perhaps you then processed one of those 720 files as 1080.

To me simple, I'll ask if you got those clips from the SD card or not.

The second video is in 720 resolution and both look like you used the video from the display device and not the SD card. The only thing I cannot explain is why the first video is then 1080 and not 720. But they both look exactly like you did not use the video from the SD card and instead saved the cached files from your phone or tablet. Perhaps you then processed one of those 720 files as 1080.

To me simple, I'll ask if you got those clips from the SD card or not.
Thanks for the reply. Yes these came from the video card. I have since run videos for testing back in the U.S. and no problems.

Last edited:
The first video can't be the file that is stored on the micro SD card. It shows a lot of compression artifacts, you see the vertical refresh of the image as well, and it looks exactly like the ones you get from the DJI Go App editor, which uses a cached version of the video that was streamed from the drone to the app while you were flying. If you didn't delete the files on your SD card, you should be able to read the SD card contents on a computer and get the actual high-quality version of what the drone recorded.

Thanks for your patience and in advance for your assistance. I have uploaded an original video taken from my SD card. Here is the YouTube link.

Thanks for your patience and in advance for your assistance. I have uploaded an original video taken from my SD card. Here is the YouTube link.

It still doesn't look like the quality you'd get from a source file on the microsd card of the drone.Throughout the footage you see the image getting constantly refreshed and also what it seems to be initial drops in video signal.

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but are you really sure this is the file that is stored on the microsd card on the drone ? You shouldn't use any files stored on your phone (either in memory or on an sdcard, if you're on Android) for editing purposes. A good indicator will be the size of the file. If you're using a file stored on the microsd card of the drone the file will probably be in the order of several hundred MB or a couple GB, if you're using the one on the phone, the file size will be much smaller.

But, assuming this is really the source file stored on the sdcard on the drone, and that it wasn't compressed afterwards, resulting in quality degradation, the first few seconds it seems the sdcard was having trouble keeping up with the volume of data being saved. What type of sdcard are you using ? What resolution were you recording at ? I typically try to use microsd cards that have a 90MB/s write rate to make sure that even at 4k I won't have problems with the sdcard not being able to handle the volume of data being saved. You should be using a class 10 microsd card with high-bandwith capability (in the ranges of 90MB/s write rate).

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.

It still doesn't look like the quality you'd get from a source file on the microsd card of the drone.Throughout the footage you see the image getting constantly refreshed and also what it seems to be initial drops in video signal.

I don't mean to sound repetitive, but are you really sure this is the file that is stored on the microsd card on the drone ? You shouldn't use any files stored on your phone (either in memory or on an sdcard, if you're on Android) for editing purposes. A good indicator will be the size of the file. If you're using a file stored on the microsd card of the drone the file will probably be in the order of several hundred MB or a couple GB, if you're using the one on the phone, the file size will be much smaller.

But, assuming this is really the source file stored on the sdcard on the drone, and that it wasn't compressed afterwards, resulting in quality degradation, the first few seconds it seems the sdcard was having trouble keeping up with the volume of data being saved. What type of sdcard are you using ? What resolution were you recording at ? I typically try to use microsd cards that have a 90MB/s write rate to make sure that even at 4k I won't have problems with the sdcard not being able to handle the volume of data being saved. You should be using a class 10 microsd card with high-bandwith capability (in the ranges of 90MB/s write rate).

Other than that, I can't think of anything else.
Thanks for your assistance! I am using a sandisk extreme pro 32gb and the highest resolution from the DJI app. But on examining the card (Very hard to see) it looks like it is a class 3.

Thanks for your assistance! I am using a sandisk extreme pro 32gb and the highest resolution from the DJI app. But on examining the card (Very hard to see) it looks like it is a class 3.
Are you able to post a photo of the sd card here ? That sdcard should be more than good enough. It should have a 10 right next to the number 3 you're seeing.

Also, what is the filename of the file you're trying to use ?

Are you able to post a photo of the sd card here ? That sdcard should be more than good enough. It should have a 10 right next to the number 3 you're seeing
Here is a photo of the card,

Thanks

Also, what is the filename of the file you're trying to use ?

Attachments

• 20160728_100359[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 425

This microsd card should be fine. It's a UHS Speed Class 3 that is designed to record up to 4k footage.
Speed Class - SD Association

So, assuming this was the sdcard that was on the drone camera/gimbal, I don't know why you would have this quality.
If this sdcard was on an Android phone, then there's a chance that the file was the one that the DJI go app saved, based on the video stream that was being transmitted from the drone to your controller/app. In which case, you'd still have to find the file that was inside the drone camera/gimbal (depending on your model).

I want to thank everyone for their assistance in helping with this problem. The real problem as it turns out is I had a serious head space and timing issue! LOL! I had uploaded the videos from the wrong folder. The real videos from the card in the camera are really good, and I had indeed uploaded the videos from the tablet. I was upset about the poor video quality and hadn't flown much since I came home. Thanks to everyone for all of your help and advice.

Reactions: Nuno Barreto

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4