Why Risk taking apart your Tx?

Reaction score
It's not that hard, just four screws. Just be careful and go slow, you won't mess it up.

I don't know how often updates to the transmitter firmware are going to be rolled out but next time I have to take it apart to update it I may just plug in a short micro USB extension cord and let the other end extend to the outside. It is ironic how elegant the USB connection on the aircraft is positioned compared to the Tx.

Geert said:
I think it is not a big thing to open the Tx, you don't have to be a technician or something.
It is not that you have to open it every day, I guess DJI will not release firmware updates daily.
If you open it carefully there is little or no risk in my opinion.

Agreed. I am not one to open things to perform "updates" nor even open them just to see what's inside... however, I grew some balls and decided to open the Tx and update the firmware anyways - it's really not that hard. The key is to take your time!!

Why DJI put the mini USB connection inside the Tx is beyond me (regardless of its early release). I saw the failboat go by on that one. The folks ordering the P2V now, they'll receive their Tx's w/the USB located on the outside bottom portion of the unit - I'm jealous.

rbarghini said:
Geert said:
I think it is not a big thing to open the Tx, you don't have to be a technician or something.
It is not that you have to open it every day, I guess DJI will not release firmware updates daily.
If you open it carefully there is little or no risk in my opinion.

Agreed. I am not one to open things to perform "updates" nor even open them just to see what's inside... however, I grew some balls and decided to open the Tx and update the firmware anyways - it's really not that hard. The key is to take your time!!

Why DJI put the mini USB connection inside the Tx is beyond me (regardless of its early release). I saw the failboat go by on that one. The folks ordering the P2V now, they'll receive their Tx's w/the USB located on the outside bottom portion of the unit - I'm jealous.

I'm not jealous. I'm just irate !!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I agree that it's a bit much to ask new owners to disassemble their R/C units to upgrade them. It would have helped to have better instructions on how to take the clamshell apart without snapping the antenna off (the antenna can rotate to unlock the two halves but there's no mention of that anywhere in the online Wiki!)

Hopefully there won't be very many updates; the design wasn't meant to be regularly serviced and the screws will eventually start stripping out the plastic.

If there are newer R/C units out there with external USB ports, DJI ought to offer hefty discounts for those of us who don't want to pull out the tiny screwdriver every time there's a firmware update...

rbarghini said:
Why DJI put the mini USB connection inside the Tx is beyond me (regardless of its early release). I saw the failboat go by on that one.

Probably using up remaining supply of old Tx cases.

I just did it, it wasn't hard and was pretty quick. The little screws are magnetic, which was helpful.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4