Why Phatom copter rotates slightly automatically?

Reaction score
When the last time, I fly the phantom, I noticed sometimes the copter rotates slightly without my control. The GPS was good with no red light flashes (that means it had enough satellites). I've experienced some slight sliding previously, but never noticed that rotating. I plugged the copter in to PC software and checked, whether it needs a compass calibration or not. But it says, doesn't need a compass calibration.
- Could anyone please tell me, what may be the problem?

I would calibrate the compass regardless of what the software says. Personally I calibrate the compass before every single flight just to be absolutely sure it's functioning and set properly. It only takes a few seconds. Might also want to do an Advanced calibration of the IMU. Though the parameters may be within limits for a calibration message not to appear, it might help.

BinaraA said:
When the last time, I fly the phantom, I noticed sometimes the copter rotates slightly without my control. The GPS was good with no red light flashes (that means it had enough satellites). I've experienced some slight sliding previously, but never noticed that rotating. I plugged the copter in to PC software and checked, whether it needs a compass calibration or not. But it says, doesn't need a compass calibration.
- Could anyone please tell me, what may be the problem?

I had the same issue a few times. All I did was turn off the phantom and turned it back on. I corrected the problem every time. One time it rotated slowly and I needed it to do it. I was able to take it up about 150 feet and get a really cool slow consistent rotating pano shot of my subdivision. Then I brought it straight back down and reset it.

Thanks guys for your helping hand. usually I do the compass calibration, before every time, I fly the copter. And I plugged it in to the, and through the NAZA software, I tried for advanced calibrations. But the software says, it doesn't need any advanced calibration. I feel, it may be a some sort of problem with the compass.

- Does the software shows a wrong message to me?
- I'll try turn the phantom off and on option as well. But what may be the permanent solution?

thanks again guys for your comments

Go ahead and run the advanced IMU calibration, even though the software tells you it doesn't need it.

Does it just keep rotating in the same direction forever while you hover? Does it ever look like it's trying to correct?

Do you have any aftermarket landing gear? Make sure your compass is on straight. Also make sure your props are true and level (wingtips are perfectly parallel to the ground when you spin them).

One question. When it's rotating, is it turning straight through the yaw axis at the center of the Phantom... or pivoting around one engine?

It rotates around the center point of the copter. And it it rotates to the same direction. Its with the standard landing gear, which comes with the phantom. Prop balance is also ok. I mostly noticed, it happens when hovering. I think, I better do a IMU calibration, even though software says it doesn't need. Please let me know if you guys are having a different thought abut this.
thank you all.

HeliRy said:
Yes, do the advanced calibration on the IMU so we can eliminate that as a cause.

How the IMU calibration is done? I know it's in the Phantom assistant tools menu, but will the software guide you through the calibration process?

AnselA said:
HeliRy said:
Yes, do the advanced calibration on the IMU so we can eliminate that as a cause.

How the IMU calibration is done? I know it's in the Phantom assistant tools menu, but will the software guide you through the calibration process?

It's simple. Just ensure the Phantom is resting on a level surface. Open the Tool menu and click the Advanced tab, then Advanced Calibration after it's done a self-check to see if it's needed. Odds are it will say the advanced calibration isn't needed. After that message pops up, click Advanced Calibration and let it run. Just make sure the Phantom is on a steady surface and do not move/bump/touch it while the calibration is going on. Takes anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes for the software to do it.

BinaraA said:
It rotates around the center point of the copter. And it it rotates to the same direction. Its with the standard landing gear, which comes with the phantom. Prop balance is also ok. I mostly noticed, it happens when hovering. I think, I better do a IMU calibration, even though software says it doesn't need. Please let me know if you guys are having a different thought abut this.
thank you all.

Good, that should rule out a faulty ESC or something to do with an engine or prop. Let us know how it's flying after doing the advanced calibration. Good luck!

I am curious as to what the final answer is on your problem. Mine (phantom 2) did the same thing the last few days (flying in gps mode). I successfully calibrated compass in the field several times, but it still did the circular pattern immediately upon launching each time, all the while giving me green lights as if all was fine. I brought it down quickly to avoid something else happening. I was on a golf course and thought there must be some interference not letting compass calibrate properly. Then I drove far into the desert and recalibrated and it flew perfectly. Then flew in 2 more locations (out in desert and parking lot near a marina) the next day and it was perfect again. Then a 3rd location (by a building in small town) that same day and it was drifting all over, not circles as much as drift to side or drifting downward when I moved it forward. It had given no indication of compass needing calibration and had locked satellites as always. Maybe just interference of some kind at the site I flew. Will see what happens today. And I will be eagerly reading what experienced users give for advice on your issue. Mine has been perfect until the last few days. I did recently install a dji 5.8 wireless FPV system and wondering if it's interfering somehow.

I have taken 2 power outs from main battery balance socket, for the gimbal and FPV. It has taken out from the same hole, where the compass cable comes out. Does it has any compass interference, which cause for the kind of controlling problems?

I did the advanced calibration, it helped. After that I didn't notice that rotating problem. But another thing, it couldn't hold the altitude. It was slowly coming down( not every time, sometimes only), although batteries are fully charged. This was the first time, that I'm flying with the gimbal. Is it because it can't handle the payload ?

BinaraA said:
I did the advanced calibration, it helped. After that I didn't notice that rotating problem. But another thing, it couldn't hold the altitude. It was slowly coming down( not every time, sometimes only), although batteries are fully charged. This was the first time, that I'm flying with the gimbal. Is it because it can't handle the payload ?

How heavy is your Phantom (all up weight), and does it descend all the way to the ground, even if you bring it up 100ft into the air?

Not all the way to ground, but a bit. Its not that much heavy. Just flying with GoPro and HiFly Gimbal.

BinaraA said:
Not all the way to ground, but a bit. Its not that much heavy. Just flying with GoPro and HiFly Gimbal.

Glad to hear the calibration got the rotation to stop.

Curious about it losing altitude though. Did you happen to notice any red lights flashing on the rear LED? If you lost enough satellites during the fight, that would cause it to begin to "hunt" around and lose accuracy in the hover while under GPS control. Next time it does this, don't touch the controls and see if it descends all the way to landing, or if it recovers and corrects itself.

Thanks everybody for your helping hand. Finally, I couldn't sort out the loosing signal issue. It is continuously happening. So, I don't have any option, other than sending it back to a phantom dealer and fix this for us. I informed the about the problem. They suspect it might be a problem with signal receiver of the copter. They said, if it is so, will have to replace the receiver. But, it'll take about 3-4 weeks for the entire process.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik