Why not Low Fly Zones instead of No Fly Zones?

Reaction score
A fellow flyer and I were talking a lot about all the new NFZ's and as many of us we are worried they will continue to expand until the only place to fly will be a vacant piece of land in the middle of nowhere...

Today we were having a ball flying around a river wash bed do low/slow and low/fast passes. We started thinking about why not "Low fly" zones instead of not being able to fly altogether. I'm talking about like 100.... maybe even 75 feet or lower?

Today we had a ball never exceeding 50 feet!

There are now many pilots out there that can no longer fly in their own back yards (or even inside their own buildings) or at the local park or vacant grass field due to the latest NFZ's.

Say 3 miles from airport are zero altitude NFZ'z, then from 3-4 miles you get 75 feet, then 4-5 miles you get 150 feet and at 5 miles outside the NFZ you are up to the 400 feet... kinda like they do for controlled radar airspace, but the inverse - see photo.

On my own property I have a great time with my FPV "sport quad" zipping around no more than 15 feet high and usually just skimming the grass (until I crash!).

DJI has the full capability of doing this....

Thoughts?

Attachments

• LowFlyZoneSm.jpg
    LowFlyZoneSm.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 309
Excellent idea. Seems so obvious. I'm on the outer edge of a nfz and if they capped me at 400' I wouldn't really mind.

They need to make the height high enough to clear trees though. 3 miles should be 150-200'

Excellent idea. Seems so obvious. I'm on the outer edge of a nfz and if they capped me at 400' I wouldn't really mind.

They need to make the height high enough to clear trees though. 3 miles should be 150-200'
I was just throwing out an idea and some nnumbers.... but I think it a very reasonable idea. I don't even live in a "bad" area, but I think there is the real possibility of the GeoFencing to go way overboard...

I think DJI already had that idea with the graduated no fly zones around airports. But FAA doesn't recognize them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl