why no mention of a camera when setting up a FPV system

Reaction score
As the title reads....I have been looking at some of the sets that make au a FPV setup, but the one thing that I see left out is a second(besides the go pro) camera used for the FPV....Do most of the setups use the Go pro as both cameras?

Why add more weight if it's unnecessary? More weight equals less flight time.

Most of use use FPV for a couple reasons. One being that we want to see what the GoPro is seeing in order to accurately compose our shots. FPV from a 2nd camera would not accomplish that.

I'd say that vast majority of FPVers here use the GoPro for their FPV camera.

So does the gimbal have the ability to supply the video from the Gopro or is there another connector needed to go from the go pro to the transmitter...

Biggunzz said:
So does the gimbal have the ability to supply the video from the Gopro or is there another connector needed to go from the go pro to the transmitter...
The GoPro can transmit video through the gimbal and to a connector video transmitter such as the ImmersionRC 600 or Boscam TS353 (among others, these are just two very popular ones).

If you go with an ImmersionRC or Boscam transmitter, then you can get a plug and play cable. Literally just plug the cable into the transmitter, iOSD Mini, and Phantom. Voila, FPV. Well, you'd at least need a receiver/monitor to see what your GoPro is transmitting. But that's basically it. Upgraded antennas, monitor mount, lanyard...there's always something else to buy...*sigh*

See this thread for a list with links to everything you need.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=26413

So this is what I am planing to get...
Boscam TS832 FPV 5.8G 32CH 600mw
Boscam RX LCD 5802 5.8GHz LCD
5.8G 4 Leaves Omnidirectional Gain Antenna For Receiver
iOSD mini
dji fpv hub
FPV 2 Axis Brushless Gimbal With Controller For DJI Phantom GoPro 3
That should cover it then???

The DJI FPV hub is ONLY for their AVL58 transmitter as far as plug and play goes. You can use the DJI hub with other transmitters, but soldering is required.

Based on what I've read here on the forums, that transmitter (TS832) is not actually from Boscam. I believe it's from Skyzone. As such, there are no plug and play cables available for it. If you want a true plug and play FPV setup, your best bets are either the ImmersionRC 600 or Boscam TS353 transmitters.

I'd say go with the TS353 and use the money you save on the FPVLR antenna kit.

dptcalvin said:
The DJI FPV hub is ONLY for their AVL58 transmitter.quote]

You can use the DJI hub for any transmitter - it makes install easy.

EMCSQUAR said:
dptcalvin said:
The DJI FPV hub is ONLY for their AVL58 transmitter.quote]

You can use the DJI hub for any transmitter - it makes install easy.
Sorry, I should have clarified. You can use the DJI hub with and transmitter, but it is only plug and play with the AVL58. To use the DJI hub with other transmitters, soldering is required.

dptcalvin said:
You can use the DJI hub with other transmitters, but soldering is required.
I'd say go with the TS353 and use the money you save on the FPVLR antenna kit.

Soldering is not a problem. I will look into the TS353. Thanks for the heads up

Can someone post some info on how to connect the go pro video to the gimbal and or to the transmitter. That part is a mystery to me at this point. Thanks.

Video comes from the GoPro bus (the rear port).

herobus1.jpg

OK so lets sat that my gimbal does not have a dedicated Gopro connection....How would I get the video from the Gopro to the transmitter? Thanks

Biggunzz: Did I see you say you're getting a Zenmuse H3-2D rather than a H3-3D? indeed, the H3-2D has the "rear port" connector to attach the gopro to the gimbal. The H3-3D swaps out the rear-port for a little USB plug that plugs into the side of the gopro.

Both gimbals (regardless of connector) then bring a video signal up to the Phantom mainboard, where you tap into it for your FPV broadcast. This is accomplished via a Plug and Play cable if you get an ImmersionRC or Boscam/Skyzone transmitter like the TS353. I think someone else mentioned (accurately) that the DJI "FPV Hub" is only for use with the DJI AVL58 transmitter, widely regarded around here as the worst choice simply because of it's size, weight, cost, and needing that hub.

You'll also need to install an iOSD Mini for use with those PnP cables. If you aren't familiar with what it does we can elaborate but basically the plug and play cable handles the Phantom mainboard where it taps into video and power... power goes straight to the video transmitter but the video signal goes into the iOSD Mini (which overlays telemetry data) and the onwards out to your vTx for transmission.

For now I will be starting off with a cheap gimbal from China. The one that runs about 60 bucks. I will definitely need to use the usb adapter cable. If I am using the iOSD mini, would I tap the usb cable directly into the iOSD or use the wires coming out of the bottom of the phantom. I will be using the fpv hub and wiring the boscam tx to the hub. Not using the avl58.

both wires that were hanging from the bottom of the Phantom are ONLY for use if you're putting on a zenmuse gimbal... just like the DJI FPV hub is ONLY for use with the AVL58 transmitter.

You'll have a USB-video plug/cable on your gopro, the video feeds need to go to the video-in cable pair (video and ground) that go IN to the iOSD mini. then the video pair (again, video + ground) that come OUT of the iOSD mini will go to your FPV transmitter.

If you're going to be soldering and wiring, you should skip the DJI hub, get the Boscam plug and play cable and you'll just have to snip and solder 2 cables, the video/ground that originally come from the Phantom mainboard, patch them into the gopro Usb/video cable. easy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj