Why is the Phantom 2 better than 1?

Reaction score
Two dealers I have spoke with have told me to get the Phantom………not the Phantom 2. They both feel its the better of the two. Cheaper, cheaper batteries. The longest they can get the Phantom 2 to hover is 16.5 minutes with a very expensive battery and a two hour charge time. Do they have a lot of the Phantom 1's in stock and just trying to get rid of them????

There are many reasons why the Phantom 2 is better. It has the internal electronics set up to be able to add FTP, Gimbal, etc. without having to solder stuff. It has a 25 minute flight time vs. 10 with a plug-in battery. These are just two examples. I don't know this for certain, but I'm guessing it has better motors and its props are definitely better (even though you can use them on the Phantom 1).

I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are pretty big differences.

map85086 said:
There are many reasons why the Phantom 2 is better. It has the internal electronics set up to be able to add FTP, Gimbal, etc. without having to solder stuff. It has a 25 minute flight time vs. 10 with a plug-in battery. These are just two examples. I don't know this for certain, but I'm guessing it has better motors and its props are definitely better (even though you can use them on the Phantom 1).

I'm sure there are more reasons, but these are pretty big differences.

Understand.........I had a Phantom 1 and was able to get 10-11 flight with a go pro attached. When I hear the 2 gets maybe 5 minutes longer thats not a big leap, considering a P1 battery is $27.00

I'll be curious if anyone gets 20 minutes or more out of the PS with gimbal and go pro running

2 is better than 1. I think that translates with the phantom too. My iPhone 4 was great but apple said the 5 was better. Had to buy that.

Ksc said:
2 is better than 1. I think that translates with the phantom too. My iPhone 4 was great but apple said the 5 was better. Had to buy that.

Yea........Apple suckered me too :lol:

FASTFJR said:
I'll be curious if anyone gets 20 minutes or more out of the PS with gimbal and go pro running

I'm somewhat anxiously awaiting to hear real-world flight times as well.

I know they managed to squeak out 25+ minute flights with the Vision (even 28 minutes in one example).
-and I think DJI was calming 20 minutes for one fitted with a Zenmuse.
But I'm sure in the coming days we'll be hearing some reports from people.

As for which is better, I'd say that if cost were no object, and flight time was critically important, the P2 would be the way to go.
Otherwise, the P1 with a 2800mah battery would probably offer the better overall value/performance, especially if you don't mind 6-8 minute flights.

Gizmo3000 said:
FASTFJR said:

I'm somewhat anxiously awaiting to hear real-world flight times as well.

I know they managed to squeak out 25+ minute flights with the Vision (even 28 minutes in one example).
-and I think DJI was calming 20 minutes for one fitted with a Zenmuse.
But I'm sure in the coming days we'll be hearing some reports from people.

As for which is better, I'd say that if cost were no object, and flight time was critically important, the P2 would be the way to go.
Otherwise, the P1 with a 2800mah battery would probably offer the better overall value/performance, especially if you don't mind 6-8 minute flights.

Good info~

Hi ...

just want to share my fly times ... I am piloting an P2V ... the flight time is for me on each flight >25 min ...

cheers,

nik

crazy chris said:
Hiway said:
The Phantom 2 goes to 11; all the others only go to 10.

hee hee... spinal tap is such a classic!

cc

Big thumbs up to this!!

Aside from longer runtime, another out-of-the box advantage are the 9" self tightening props. (yes i know these can be added to the P1, but I'm talking out-of-the-box).

I just got my Phantom 2 yesterday and spent the evening installing the Zenmuse, Hero3 Black, AVL5.8 VTx and iOSD mini. I should have a chance to fly it this afternoon. Ill let you know what kind of flight time I can get out of it.

Sorry I don't have a equally equipped Phantom 1 to compare to, maybe someone with a P1/Zen/iOSDmini/AVL58 will chime in with their *accurate unbiased* run times.

Looking forward to these results :D

Running Phantom v1.1.1, Vision Props, Zenmuse with gopro 3 black and FPV transmitter.

On a 2200 mah battery I can get around 10m30s flight times with normal flying.

On the standard props I was getting around 8 mins.

camelman said:
Looking forward to these results :D

Running Phantom v1.1.1, Vision Props, Zenmuse with gopro 3 black and FPV transmitter.

On a 2200 mah battery I can get around 10m30s flight times with normal flying.

On the standard props I was getting around 8 mins.

Do you know what your total weight is?

For consistency... What is your battery percentage and/or voltage at the end of that flight? And what mode are you recording in with the gopro?

I'll fly a few flights with the iOSD removed so we have an equal comparison.

With four models now in the Phantom line-up I spent some time pulling together details for all of them and compiling a comparison table.

http://elevation2.com/2013/12/comparing ... -2-vision/

This forum is also a great source of information when making a choice about which model to get. Not everything depends on objective specs, people's experience and advice count for a lot.

larsplougmann said:
With four models now in the Phantom line-up I spent some time pulling together details for all of them and compiling a comparison table.

http://elevation2.com/2013/12/comparing ... -2-vision/

This forum is also a great source of information when making a choice about which model to get. Not everything depends on objective specs, people's experience and advice count for a lot.

EXCELLENT!

First flight: P2/Zen/iOSDmini/AVL58, Hero 3 Black filming at 720/60 and 1 photo every 3 seconds.
16 min, 30 sec to 8% battery

PitStop said:
First flight: P2/Zen/iOSDmini/AVL58, Hero 3 Black filming at 720/60 and 1 photo every 3 seconds.
16 min, 30 sec to 8% battery
is your iosd working? mine won't show anything

Yes, I was having trouble updating to V1.04, but finally I was able to this afternoon.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20