Why is it REALLY better?

GhostMaster said:
neiloakley said:
GhostMaster said:
GoPro 3 Black At 2.7k is way better than the v+ camera....

GoPro3+ Black at 4k is even better :)

Now trying to convince the other half to let me 'invest' in a UltraHD TV.

2.7k is 30fps, at 4k cannot record fluid video.

true, but shhhhhhh dont tell the missus

pault said:
Even the gopro footage is really only good enough for YouTube so for the best bang for the buck currently the V+ seems the best option. For still photos neither camera will stand up to printing unless the V+ turns out to be better than expected.

Unfortunately there doesn't currently seem to be a way to get aerial photographs of sufficient quality to print at A4. The P2/Dronexpert/RX100 comes closest but there are issues with the build quality of the mount. Even if that is sorted it cannot do gimballed video so everything is a compromise.

I have to agree with you there if you're talking about use for professional movie filling quality neither the phantom vision or go pro black is suitable. You need a larger quad that can hold a DSLR or mini DSLR. Or the droneexpert Sony x100 mount for Phantom which build quality and price leaves something to be desired and no stabilization so again were back to a larger platform if you're talking high quality stabalized video production

A key point often missed out of this discussion is the cost to upgrade to the next best thing.

The Vision & Vision+ owners will have to shell out for a complete new quad. The resale value of the old one will be much less than a P2, why? because there is no upgrade path. Its like a throw away camera.

The P2 pilot just buys a new Gopro and slots it in and carrys on. Sure Gopro could change the camera format but only today they have just released a whole new set of camera mounts for musicians. I don't think that format will change anytime soon. If it did then its for certain we could get a gimbal for it.

I own both machines. I can report from experience of using both and I like to make films and post them. The P2 wins hands down in every sphere. Camera quality, FPV experience, range. It used to be the lead on gimbals but we can now fit the new 3 axis one. Looks like we will have to cut a slot in our P2's but I reckon we can make it work without the need to buy a new quad.

So in the long term ownership I can only recommend people go the P2 route. The only time I would recommend a Vision+ is for someone who is looking for a bit of fun and nothing more.

Edit

One thing I forgot to add.

The problem for new pilots looking to buy their first quad is they are daunted by what equipment they need to get a good solid FPV/Gopro system into the air. I was daunted, so I paid someone to do it for me. Now I know whats involved it really is such a simple thing that I would not hesitate to do my own next time. There are good videos available showing you what to do. If you can twist 2 wires together, solder the join and put some heatshrink on it then you can build your own no problems at all.

If you scared of that get a cheapo soldering iron, some wire and practice. Loads of videos on how to do it on youtube.

pault said:
For me, still quality is what I am after and in raw mode surely the V+ will easily outperform a P2 with gopro.
I think you will be disappointed. I have the GoPro 3+ Black and I would not be happy with the quality from ether camera in the Gizmodo videos. The 3 axis gimbal is great but that is the only improvement I see.

Shrimpfarmer said:
A key point often missed out of this discussion is the cost to upgrade to the next best thing.

So in the long term ownership I can only recommend people go the P2 route. The only time I would recommend a Vision+ is for someone who is looking for a bit of fun and nothing more.

Yes, I have to agree. Using the P2 as your basic platform allows you so much choice when it comes to FPV, tx/controllers etc. whilst still giving you the ease of flying that the V and V+ offer. It is for this reason I do not buy into the logic of buying any 3rd party addons for the P2V now * such as gimbals and range extenders. The logic seems to be that these can be used on new aircraft in the future but the way things are going it is hard to say they will be suitable for the next generation platform. If you want a gimbal and increased range that is RTF/plug and play then it would be better to cut your losses and sell your P2V, buy a V+ and live with the image quality.

I still think that DJI has come up with a winner in the V+ though as they have just watched what these 3rd party addons to the P2V the market wanted and incorporated them all. It is obvious that it is not the answer that keen videographers like you and professional cameramen like Peter are after. I am sure later in the year DJI will also 'take out' the P2 modders and offer a platform with a quality gimballed camera capable of good video and stills (that is if a drone maker can build a good camera).
* that is now, a week ago it seemed to be a viable option

So, time to sell my P2V.... anyone interested, send me a PM, please. Is there a section in this forum where we can sell our machines and accessories?

cavaleiro01 said:
So, time to sell my P2V.... anyone interested, send me a PM, please. Is there a section in this forum where we can sell our machines and accessories?

yes the classified section. visions are selling for between $750 and $950

something a lot of people do not factor in with video is editing. When you edit a video, you lower the quality. Its that example of a copy of a copy. If you could somehow have the p2 and the vision+ controlled from the same TX so that both moved in the exact same way and filmed the exact same thing, you will see a big difference after it is all said and done. The reason is because you will do the same post editing with both images and the gopro image will appear better. For the sake of easy numbers, if the highest the vision can go is 100 and the highest a gopro can go is 150, every time you edit you cut that number in half. Run it through two filters and the vision goes from 100 to 50 then to 25. The gopro goes from 150 to 75 to 38. Once more and you are at 13 for the vision and 19 for the gopro. Sure the numbers seem very close but when you are trying to use the footage professionally, the small difference can be a huge deal.

As it has already been stated, the P2 with H3-3D with Gopro Black is going to provide you superior VIDEO footage over the Vision+. The vision+ is $1300 and that is a turn key solution. Nothing extra is needed. The P2 H3-3D is $959 but you still need a $400 gopro, a $100 FPV TX, $60 FPV antennas, $65 for telemetry, $200 for the monitor, and the ability to piece it all together. So a P2 H3-3D ends up running you almost $500 more. Is the $500 worth the money, that is the big question. It depends on what you are doing. If I'm just going out in the back yard and flying around my neighborhood and posting videos to Facebook and youtube, the vision+ is the way to go. If I am trying to take STILL images, the vision+ cannot be beat. If I am trying to film something which I intend to get paid for, then the extra $500 is an investment that must be made.

I am not for or against the vision+. The reality is that it is better at taking still photos and is going to be the most inexpensive fpv video aerial device available for what it offers. On the other hand, when it comes to video, the P2 is the best path. It is like this, you can buy a Lamborghini or you can buy a Camaro. Both will go really fast, one just goes faster. Do you really need the super high speed of the Lamborghini or is the speed of the Camaro good enough.

I would buy a vision+ to have fun with. I would buy a P2 to make money with....

Great point Ksc.

As a current P2V owner there is no doubting that the GP3+ is better in every category but that doesn't mean the Vision footage is bad by any means. In my opinion I would still choose the P2V+ in a heart beat just for the ease of use. For $1300 its gives you EVERYTHING you need (25 minute flight time, 3 axis gimbal, decent smart phone FPV, video and stills, telemetry). I guess it comes down to the level of photographer that you are. Where I hear the most gripes about the Vision's pics or stills is usually from experienced photographers with too high of an expectation of what the FC200 can do. I guess I'm not picky. For an amateur to get a P2 to equal what I P2V+ can do (GP3+, FPV equipment, telemetry devices, chargers for FPV lipo's) you are looking at closer to $1700-$1900. And then your left with a lot shorter flight times. But if you're after better footage then it might be worth the added cost. But to each their own. Either way guys a Phantom's a Phantom. We are all winners!

Correct but come time to change Vison owners spend $1300 whilst P2 owners spend $400 for a new camera with all the extra goodies that might bring.

One thing is different between them though and that is ease of use. The Vision and Vison+ can be in the air whilst I would still be assembling my monitor,sunshade,monitor battery etc etc. :lol:

stephwright988 said:
Ok - So I have a few fairly basic question.

The 2 highlights of the Vision 2+ are:
- Better Camera
- 3- axis Gimble

Question 1:
The Hero3+ Black is still a better camera right?

Question 2
Would it be better to get a Phantom 2 with the 3 axis Gimble and just use my GoPro Hero 3+ camera?

Thank you all for your insight and time!

You'll be without FPV...

-slinger

If someone who hasn't owned a phantom before was to ask which to buy, I'd say vision+. If the person has a phantom 1, there is a really good chance he already owns a gopro 3. In which case buying the p2 would be a better move considering his purchase would be only $100 more than a vision+. As shrimp said, upgrading a p2 is cheaper than upgrading from a vision to vision+.

Honestly I think the P2V+ is a better value. For $1300 you get a decent camera and do aerial videos right out of the box! Have you seen the side by side comparisons? really close and for the average person the P2V+ rocks!

And remotely trigger photos or video.

the P2V+ is a game changer.

I originally started out with a P2V and was 100% ok with dropping $1200 on it. After a week of realizing how limited the unit was without a gimbal and then the 'invalid battery' issues, I returned it to amazon and bought an FC40 and modded it heavily. I still have less in my FC40 than the original P2V cost and I love it. The only thing I wish I had was the telemetry.

All that said, had this been around 6 months ago, I would have been perfectly happy learning the ropes on a P2V+. It is a solid amount of tech in a ready to rock package. It's all in if you want to get your hands dirty or if you just want an awesome toy.

Gopro has NEVER impressed me...I do filming for hire and I do not and do not plan on owning one. They are overpriced to begin with. For all you guys touting 4k...WHO CARES! You tube supports it...but internet bandwidth doesnt in 99.9 percent of the users viewing it...most households do not have a tv that can view it AND there is nto a dvd that can hold a 45 minute disc worth of it...much less a affordable dvd player that most households use...so it really is just a selling point for owners to run around saying i got it ...i got it oand you dont...HO HUM...LOL

beign a youtube partner and making alot of money of of you tube every year...and month i can tell you that you are WASTING your time uploading ANYTHING over 720p....most simply dont choose to watch in that res.

Is the PV2+ a good camera...well it isnt the best...but it is not the worst....it will get the job done..and done well.

Besides...if you are running aroudn saying you are into filiming an photography and the PV2 and Gopro is the bets thing going..well then you are not REALLY a pro at what you think you are doing...cause if you were you would have a dlsr flying...a Cannon 7D or Mark iv or 5 or D1

Big Chips said:
Gopro has NEVER impressed me...I do filming for hire and I do not and do not plan on owning one. They are overpriced to begin with. For all you guys touting 4k...WHO CARES! You tube supports it...but internet bandwidth doesnt in 99.9 percent of the users viewing it...most households do not have a tv that can view it AND there is nto a dvd that can hold a 45 minute disc worth of it...much less a affordable dvd player that most households use...so it really is just a selling point for owners to run around saying i got it ...i got it oand you dont...HO HUM...LOL

beign a youtube partner and making alot of money of of you tube every year...and month i can tell you that you are WASTING your time uploading ANYTHING over 720p....most simply dont choose to watch in that res.

Is the PV2+ a good camera...well it isnt the best...but it is not the worst....it will get the job done..and done well.

Besides...if you are running aroudn saying you are into filiming an photography and the PV2 and Gopro is the bets thing going..well then you are not REALLY a pro at what you think you are doing...cause if you were you would have a dlsr flying...a Cannon 7D or Mark iv or 5 or D1

I agree with you...totally. That's why I think the P2V+ is a game changer. That being said tho... What's the definition of a professional. One that get's Paid for their efforts. There are good professionals and bad ones. I have seen good ones use gopro footage for weddings etc. They are still using their Cannon's for the video however they are adding aerial footage to that. Don't judge... just because you are a professional film maker. Anyway... half of the film is edited post production anyhow which is why i think the P2V+ is a steal.

At this time the PV+ is a starter craft for inexperienced users. Not real great for professional work but can get by, perfect for folks who want to share casual videos on FB or YT. The P2 with a Gopro is for more serious users who want quality footage with options. You can outfit your craft as you see fit. Aside from the fact that the GoPro is good for so many other uses aside from arial footage. I owned my GoPro before I owned my P2. I used it for my other RC's, scuba diving, snowy adventures and general usage. Can't do that with a vision camera. It all comes down to personal preference and usage. They both have a place in this hobby. :)

LuvMyTJ said:
At this time the PV+ is a starter craft for inexperienced users. Not real great for professional work but can get by, perfect for folks who want to share casual videos on FB or YT. The P2 with a Gopro is for more serious users who want quality footage with options. You can outfit your craft as you see fit. Aside from the fact that the GoPro is good for so many other uses aside from arial footage. I owned my GoPro before I owned my P2. I used it for my other RC's, scuba diving, snowy adventures and general usage. Can't do that with a vision camera. It all comes down to personal preference and usage. They both have a place in this hobby. :)

agreed. I would in no way use "game changer" when talking about it. I think "improvement" is more like it but "game changer" would be if it had something no other craft had. Such as the ability to detect object and not bump into them. Thats a game changer. FPV and 3 axis is something you can get with a P2 and any other quad you put an H3-3D on it. Some folks will like the modular ability of the P2 and being able to upgrade thing here and there without needing to update the whole craft. Others will like the ease of use and portability of the vision+. They both are going after a different market place. DJI now has the entry level use all the way to the movie maker covered.

Ummm. That's a wide range... That's a game changer. Meaning all aerial video companies are going to try to mimic. Especially at this quality level and price point.

oh...i can judge because i have the creds to. I have used a gopro. At one time they were the only affordable underwater camera around..so scuba divers and lake goers loved them. Now there are more choices. If you take their advertising budget away...they are just plain jane.

What is a professional....one that makes their living as that profession....not a person that goes to the local parking lot to take stills or aerial photos....but has active ongoing engagements in commerce for their skills.

If I hired a person to film a wedding and they walked in with a handful of gopros...it would not be funny at all...fired on the spot.

Owning a gopro or dlsr makes you a new owner..not a professional. Owning a Phantom doe snot make you a pilot it makes you a owner of a remote controlled aircraft....that if it wasnt using gps...most would crash and destroy it in less than 5 mins.

bottom line is you dont take a bb gun to a rifle range..and think you are a sharp shooter...just like you dont take a huffy bmx bike to the tour defrance and expect to compete. Call it what it is and let it be.

The PV2+ is a tool that will be used by me...just like others...if it dont make me money I am getting rid of it...the newest of the toy factor wears off in around 15 minutes and then you realize how expensive it really is.

In my opinion it is very overpriced...but int he market it exist it is under priced...so we pay for it willingly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20