Why is it REALLY better?

Reaction score
Ok - So I have a few fairly basic question.

The 2 highlights of the Vision 2+ are:
- Better Camera
- 3- axis Gimble

Question 1:
The Hero3+ Black is still a better camera right?

Question 2
Would it be better to get a Phantom 2 with the 3 axis Gimble and just use my GoPro Hero 3+ camera?

Thank you all for your insight and time!

it's horses for courses. Remember, if you get a Phantom 2 and Go-Pro Hero 3+ you still need to buy all the additional stuff to provide the FPV back to your location.

the p2v+ has increased wifi range and a slightly improved camera.

not much else different there.

Bmews

stephwright988 said:

- Better Camera
- 3- axis Gimble

Question 1:

Question 2
Would it be better to get a Phantom 2 with the 3 axis Gimble and just use my GoPro Hero 3+ camera?

If you go over to the P2 forum you will see there is a guy called Shrimpfarmer. He is a keen video maker and has both a P2V and a P2 with a Gopro. If you search for his posts you will find a thread about why he decided to get a P2. I can remember the exact title but it was something like 'why i jumped ship'. In that you will read all the reasoning behind his decision and see sample footage etc. Of course they were the days before the gimballed V+ but you will still learn something.

I don't believe Pv2 + is definitely better. However it is good option for those who didn't buy any gimbal yet for our Phantom 2 vision. Also a better range is temptating but for me in previous version was really enought for my purpoes.

Anybody wants to buy my Phantom 2 Vision :))) ? Good price.

It's all about catering to those who either don't want to modify or don't have the ability to modify a phantom, let alone an F450/550. Looking at the specs, the new P2V+ camera is about the same as a Gopro Hero2. Not a Hero3, a Hero2. Take a P2, add the new 3d gimbal and a Gopro H3+ Black and you will be miles ahead in video quality however it will cost almost $1800. Adding an FPV kit with the iOSDmini would run you $300-400 more putting you around $2200. All that said, with the P2V+ at $1300, it would be a relative bargain for the first timers with deep pockets who don't have the knowledge base of the guys that have been doing this a while. Even with a cheap used GoPro H2, you will still be around $2000 just to have all the same goodies (any 5.8 GHz FPV system will vastly outrange the vision's video Tx)

Just my two cents.

Edit: I modified this post to coincide with the fact that the P2V+ will be sold for $1300 and not $2000 :p

BMc said:
It's all about catering to those who either don't want to modify or don't have the ability to modify a phantom, let alone an F450/550. Looking at the specs, the new P2V+ camera is about the same as a Gopro Hero2. Not a Hero3, a Hero2. Take a P2, add the new 3d gimbal and a Gopro H3+ Black and you will be miles ahead in video quality and only cost less than $1800. Adding an FPV kit with the iOSDmini would run you $300-400 more putting you at something that would destroy a P2V+ for a couple hundred bucks more. All that said, if they sold it for $1300 and not the $2000 I am seeing it for, it would be a relative bargain for the first timers with deep pockets who don't have the knowledge base of the guys that have been doing this a while.

Just my two cents.

Price is NOT $2000. it IS $ 1299.00 :)

I revised my previous post :D

stephwright988 said:

- Better Camera
- 3- axis Gimble

Question 1:

Question 2

The specs on the Vision and the Vision+ camera are the same. Possibly slightly more resolution on the vision+ but nothing compared to the gopro 3 black. If you want to make videos to show your friends on Facebook, the vision+ is the best route. If you want to make videos you could technically sell or start a business with, the Phantom 2 is the route. Both are aerial platforms. One is just a ready to go version and the other is the DIY version. You pay a price with the ready to go version and that price is an inferior camera to the DIY version.

For months, everyone was saying how the Phantom Vision (v1) was useless for making quality video, due to the fact that it didn't stabilize the camera. Sounds like they really got it right this time. (if I had a Phantom Vision v1, I'd be seriously bummed, but you folks did know what you were getting into)

We'll really have to wait and see what people produce with their Phantom Vision2+, tho what I've seen does look fairly decent.
and to outfit a P2/H3-3d with FPV (and GoPro) will run you significantly more than the Vision 2+.
and at $1300, priced less than if you tried to build something similar.
the GoPro no doubt has more features for "professionals", tho then again, the GoPro isn't actually considered professional camera in the first place.
It'l be interesting to see the comparison footage when people start comparing them.

Tho if you already have a GoPro Hero3+, makes a bit more sense to consider spending that $1300 to outfit a P2/h3-3d with FPV.

The Vision+ no doubt exhibits the same fisheye as the GoPro, as it appears to have the same Wide, Medium and Narrow field of view options.

..one neat thing that the Vision+ has is the "FPV" mode tho, that rotates the camera as you're flying it, something the H3-2d/3d doesn't do.

Ksc said:
[

The specs on the Vision and the Vision+ camera are the same. Possibly slightly more resolution on the vision+ but nothing compared to the gopro 3 black. If you want to make videos to show your friends on Facebook, the vision+ is the best route. If you want to make videos you could technically sell or start a business with, the Phantom 2 is the route. Both are aerial platforms. One is just a ready to go version and the other is the DIY version. You pay a price with the ready to go version and that price is an inferior camera to the DIY version.

The real world evidence says different. The sensor size in the gopro black and the V+ is the same and looking at the video in the Gizmodo comparison between the two cameras the V+ looks significantly better than the gopro apart from in low light.

pault said:
Ksc said:
[

The real world evidence says different. The sensor size in the gopro black and the V+ is the same and looking at the video in the Gizmodo comparison between the two cameras the V+ looks significantly better than the gopro apart from in low light.

It appears that the GoPro3+ used in that video has the focus problem that was reported in many of the earliest ones manufactured. The video is not sharp at a distance. GoPro has fixed this in the currently released ones and repaired any that were returned. Also I would guess that was shot at 30 fps. The GoPro 3+ does an excellent job at 1080 60 fps. Does the new Phantom camera even shoot at that frame rate?

syotr said:
pault said:
Ksc said:
[

It appears that the GoPro3+ used in that video has the focus problem that was reported in many of the earliest ones manufactured. The video is not sharp at a distance. GoPro has fixed this in the currently released ones and repaired any that were returned. Also I would guess that was shot at 30 fps. The GoPro 3+ does an excellent job at 1080 60 fps. Does the new Phantom camera even shoot at that frame rate?
That is a possibility but considering the video was shot in the last month or so it woukd be unlikely. Just a few weeks to wait and they we will know the truth. For me, still quality is what I am after and in raw mode surely the V+ will easily outperform a P2 with gopro.

My thoughts (am i'm prepared to be shot down):

P2V - good for fun flying
P2 + GoPro Hero3+ Black - Good for filming/photography

Then add the 3 axis gimbal and it just becomes better at what it was already good at. Because I want to had 4k video recorded, edited and published it's a no brainer to get the P2. If i just wanted some fun, and a simpler set up I would have gone P2V

Even the gopro footage is really only good enough for YouTube so for the best bang for the buck currently the V+ seems the best option. For still photos neither camera will stand up to printing unless the V+ turns out to be better than expected.

Unfortunately there doesn't currently seem to be a way to get aerial photographs of sufficient quality to print at A4. The P2/Dronexpert/RX100 comes closest but there are issues with the build quality of the mount. Even if that is sorted it cannot do gimballed video so everything is a compromise.

pault said:
Even the gopro footage is really only good enough for YouTube .

What?????????

There are numerous high end production companies using GoPro for shots. Major sporting events, record attempts, car review programms, nature documentaries, etc etc etc.

given my gopro records in 4k Ultra HD, and I can stablise, remove fisheye and end up with a perfectly natural high end shot thats cropped down to 1080p I refute your statement and replace with my own - GoPro rocks :)

http://www.redbullstratos.com/about-felix/the-documentary/

neiloakley said:
pault said:
Even the gopro footage is really only good enough for YouTube .

What?????????

There are numerous high end production companies using GoPro for shots. Major sporting events, record attempts, car review programms, nature documentaries, etc etc etc.

given my gopro records in 4k Ultra HD, and I can stablise, remove fisheye and end up with a perfectly natural high end shot thats cropped down to 1080p I refute your statement and replace with my own - GoPro rocks :)

http://www.redbullstratos.com/about-felix/the-documentary/
I have to defer to you as you obviously know more about it than me. I have based my comment on what i was told by a TV cameraman. He was advising me on a small video camera for outdoor photograpy and he said even a cheap Panasonic camera such as this one is better: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-WA2-F ... B006T9JKDY
His exact wording was that this camera makes the Gopro look like a toy in comparison. This guy is a respected freelance cameraman.
I have to admit though, I have never used a gopro. As I have posted before, the footage of the new V+ camera looks to have better resolution than the gopro black on the Gizmodo review which given both cameras have the same size sensor would seem possible.

GhostMaster said:
GoPro 3 Black At 2.7k is way better than the v+ camera....

GoPro3+ Black at 4k is even better :)

Now trying to convince the other half to let me 'invest' in a UltraHD TV.

neiloakley said:
GhostMaster said:
GoPro 3 Black At 2.7k is way better than the v+ camera....

GoPro3+ Black at 4k is even better :)

Now trying to convince the other half to let me 'invest' in a UltraHD TV.

2.7k is 30fps, at 4k cannot record fluid video.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers