Why is gimbal shuttering every 25 seconds?

Reaction score
I am a newbie with a P2 and Zenmuse that arrived yesterday. The gimbal "shutters" (vibrates) for 1-2 seconds every 25 seconds. It is very loud. The gimbal sounds like to it trying to tear itself apart. What is the gimbal trying to do? I don't have a GoPro installed, does that matter?

Should I worry, is the gimbal defective? Why is the gimbal vibrating every 25 seconds?

Which firmware version are you running? Mine stutters occasionally-but nothing like you described.
You must have the camera in it, while flying, or it will enter Hibernation.

Is there anything blocking the gimbal from moving normally throughout it's range? Do you have any extra's attached to the camera-like a filter and adapter?
Current Firmware is 1.80

richparry said:
I am a newbie with a P2 and Zenmuse that arrived yesterday. The gimbal "shutters" (vibrates) for 1-2 seconds every 25 seconds. It is very loud. The gimbal sounds like to it trying to tear itself apart. What is the gimbal trying to do? I don't have a GoPro installed, does that matter?

Should I worry, is the gimbal defective? Why is the gimbal vibrating every 25 seconds?

If you turn on the Phantom without the GoPro in the gimbal it does that noise.
Btw. I read somewhere that you should NOT turn on the Phantom without camera, apparently it could damage the gimbal.
Put the camera in and the shutters will be gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While I intended to purchase a GoPro, I saw no urgency, so I did not purchase the GoPro. I sure hope it isn't a requirement. I thought I should concentrate on learning how to fly the Phantom before worrying about video.

Regarding software version question, I'll have to check.

richparry said:
While I intended to purchase a GoPro, I saw no urgency, so I did not purchase the GoPro. I sure hope it isn't a requirement. I thought I should concentrate on learning how to fly the Phantom before worrying about video.

Regarding software version question, I'll have to check.

It's definitely a requirement if you're going to use Zenmuse gimbal. You can still fly your Phantom - just not with the gimbal on it.

So it appears I need to install a GoPro if the gimbal is connected. I solution then is to remove the gimbal while I learn to fly. Looks like I can remove the gimbal by removing 4 Phillips head screws, is that right?

richparry said:
So it appears I need to install a GoPro if the gimbal is connected. I solution then is to remove the gimbal while I learn to fly. Looks like I can remove the gimbal by removing 4 Phillips head screws, is that right?

That's right, just take off the four screws, unplug the gimbal and use some tape to stick the cable to the belly of the P2.

Once done, go out and rip it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks to all that replied. I have successfully removed the gimbal. I have also ordered a Hero 3+ which I didn't want to do now.

I believe it is a very poor design to require the GoPro. Let's say you want your wife or friend to fly it or you are worried about a Fly Away, I would rather loose $800 (P2) than twice that with the gimbal and GoPro.

Or let's say you want to have less weight to increase flight time, what was DJI thinking?

I almost can't believe the GoPro is a requirement.

richparry said:
Thanks to all that replied. I have successfully removed the gimbal. I have also ordered a Hero 3+ which I didn't want to do now.

I believe it is a very poor design to require the GoPro. Let's say you want your wife or friend to fly it or you are worried about a Fly Away, I would rather loose $800 (P2) than twice that with the gimbal and GoPro.

Or let's say you want to have less weight to increase flight time, what was DJI thinking?

I almost can't believe the GoPro is a requirement.

Gimbals are pretty sensitive to weight & balance. The Zenmuse is balanced to handle the GoPro. Most gimbals require some weight if not exact equivilant of camera. If you check Ebay and other shops, there are gimbals for GoPro 3 but not GoPro 2 because of dimensions and weight. I think we all agree that incase of flyaway - yes it is an investment, but it's one we play by.

I understand the gimbal is a precision instrument with strict weight and size requirements to work properly, but I don't understand why it rattled like it was trying to tear itself apart. If was very loud and scary and would not stop.

The only purpose of the gimbal is to balance the camera. And all gimbals need to be balanced in order to work properly otherwise the motors get overworked. So you've done the right thing by removing it until you get your GoPro.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj