Why fly without recording?

Reaction score
I'm curious, why are some people flying a 4K camera and not recording the flight? In a couple of threads I've read about crashes where the camera wasn't recording. Sure if one is taking pictures I fully understand why one would not record video. But one could always grab a 4K image from the video. Memory is cheap and reusable, so thats not a real reason why to not record a flight.
Please enlighten me, why are people not recording their flights? Is it a battery issue? Does 4K recording affect flight time?

I'm curious, why are some people flying a 4K camera and not recording the flight? In a couple of threads I've read about crashes where the camera wasn't recording. Sure if one is taking pictures I fully understand why one would not record video. But one could always grab a 4K image from the video. Memory is cheap and reusable, so thats not a real reason why to not record a flight.
Please enlighten me, why are people not recording their flights? Is it a battery issue? Does 4K recording affect flight time?

Images you can make in the DNG-format. Video's not.
If you take a screenshot the editing possibilities are much more restricted then when you shooting in DNG.

Reactions: reboot81
If the purpose of my flight is to do photos rather than video then that particular flight is not being recorded. Only the snap shots when I choose to shoot them.

Switching back and forth with the buttons on the controller-- it is pretty simple to take video and stills on the same flight. press the left button to record video-- press the left button to stop record-- press the right button to snap pictures -- press the left button to start record. Becomes automatic after awhile.. If the video is not needed-- toss it out-- if it is -- you have the option to keep it and use it.

Video from P3P is nowhere near the quality of raw still. Video doesnt have enough bitrate. The only cameras I work with and are able to do this are RED cameras and theres a HUGE bitrate. And its actually shooting raw video.

I was trying to grab a still from P3P video and the quality sucks! Video here is only good when in motion :)

Video from P3P is nowhere near the quality of raw still. Video doesnt have enough bitrate. The only cameras I work with and are able to do this are RED cameras and theres a HUGE bitrate. And its actually shooting raw video.

I was trying to grab a still from P3P video and the quality sucks! Video here is only good when in motion :)
The idea of shooting video if you are not going to use it is to have a record of the flight in the event of a malfunction or for some other reason. The single frame stills are not suitable for serious photographers, but they are definitely useable-- already used them in a sales brochure.

I fly just to fly. If I'm bored I just sit in my front yard and use a few batteries cruising and doing laps. No reason to use video.

Its not so much the storage for me its the organisation and time. If you end up with 20 minutes of footage with only 1 minute of what you wanted you either have to edit that down or have a large media file for a small part of it.

With the old Phantom and a GoPro you had little choice but now you can click start and stop using the RC and capture just what you need. Back home you can import that short clip without having to worry.

And while memory or storage is cheap (they're seperate things) for me the storage has to perform very well and be quiet (no one wants a silent iMac only to have a noisy external drive) so quiet and fast storage is not cheap.

Reactions: witold
You should take off your camera/gimbal - you might get a bit more flight & joint time in, man. :cool:

And when you do total it - less expense, innit.

Wtf? That would be absolutely pointless. I fly far way past line of sight. If I want to fly close I'll use a smaller drone.

I was under the impression that you was able to take stills while recording but not that I have the P3P I see that is not the case. Also, what are these memories pictures that show up near the flight log? When and how often do they occur? They seem to appear when you are doing video.

The only time I take mine up is to either shoot video and take pics. Flying without a SD card would be pointless to me, unless I was showing it off to a friend or something.

Part of the fun for me is practicing control. No reason to video the practice runs. The more practice I get the lower my blood pressure runs when something unexpected happens.
It's kind of fun also to do seriously tight figure 8s and improving my front in technique.
Someone mentioned getting another cheap drone for these situations but I would rather practice on my Phantom.
It's kind of Like saying drive your junker car to practice for next week's road race in your Porsche. Skills in one don't always transfer to expertise in the other.

Reactions: MADrone
Part of the fun for me is practicing control. No reason to video the practice runs. The more practice I get the lower my blood pressure runs when something unexpected happens.
It's kind of fun also to do seriously tight figure 8s and improving my front in technique.
Someone mentioned getting another cheap drone for these situations but I would rather practice on my Phantom.
It's kind of Like saying drive your junker car to practice for next week's road race in your Porsche. Skills in one don't always transfer to expertise in the other.

+1

Firstly, I would like to mention that when I bought a cheap Chinese quad a long time ago and it crashed on first flight, I was recording video from by base station and captured the crash. I believe this was integral in getting a full replacement.

Videoing your flights is a very good idea.

But as sdharris mentions, some of it is time and overhead. If I'm flying for fun and to look around, it only takes a second to reformat the card the next time before taking off. But if I'm trying to capture particular shots, it's more of a pain scrubbing through all the video looking for the deliberate shots you wanted. If you just press record when you're ready for the shot you want to capture, there is less work involved.

Always record. You never know what you'll get. It's pretty much free. And if there's nothing there, just delete it. You'll kick yourself when you miss something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen