Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Why fish eye?

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by Whitard, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Whitard

I am not knowledgeable about photographic lenses. I am sure there is a reason that the Vision 2 Plus lens is a fish eye lens. I don't like the distorted view that it provides though. Can anyone explain why it is necessary that this lens be fish eye?

2. TeamYankee

A wide angle fish-eye lens is a lot cheaper and much less complex (smaller and lighter) than a "flat field" (rectilinear) lens of the same angle of view.

You can change the lens on a GOPro to have a flat field lens but I've not heard of anyone changing the lens on a Vision(+)... with a modded GoPro the field of view is not as wide as it once was.

Here is a very good comparison of the stock lens versus the flat field lens... GoPro but .. you get the idea -
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aMemm-xO8U[/youtube]

3. Whitard

Thank you. I appreciated the education and the pros and cons of these lenses.

4. HermosaDrones

What is the difference between using this lens and the narrow view on the gopro?

5. dptcalvin

Using the narrow POV on your GoPro is just cropping the image digitally. When possible, using (quality) optics is a better solution.