Why does the DJI Phantom 3 Compass Hardware Fail?

I'd be happy to provide a txt report to anyone who wishes to review it for compass issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

All you do is place the txt flight log file in a folder and zip that folder. Then upload it here in a post the same way you do with an image.

Is it windows 10 compatible? I cannot mount the drive via usb. Yes, I'm following all instructions..

The dat file will have the same date and likely 3 files. The largest file is the one needed. The aircraft is connected to the pc using usb. The GO app has a area where the Flight Log feature is activated.

Use dropbox best way to share with others.

Sorry, I can't view the device from my laptop computer, running Windows 10. Aircraft is connected via the nose port, and I'm running the GO app. But nothing happens after plugging to via usb. It looks like the device is not recognized. IS there a PC driver someplace? Nothing obvious on DJI's site.

Sorry, I can't view the device from my laptop computer, running Windows 10. Aircraft is connected via the nose port, and I'm running the GO app. But nothing happens after plugging to via usb. It looks like the device is not recognized. IS there a PC driver someplace? Nothing obvious on DJI's site.

Exactly....and it will continue looking the same until you open the GO app and enable the Flight Log feature. As soon as you do that a box will appear and flight logs will follow.

Is there a way to check if its ok? you say the #'s are good, but how do you check?

I stopped calibrating everytime I fly now since it was told to not do this.

but I'd like the peace of mind knowing its ok, how do I make sure of this ?

Thanks

Usually the GO app tells you if the compass is under interference - that red message on top is just that. Don't ever take that warning lightly, that's all I can tell. Keep your drone on the ground if you can't get a good cal or it keeps showing RED for whatever reason, only take off if it's GREEN (if you're in GPS mode, of course you can always fly ATTI if you trust your P3 compass and know what you're doing, etc.).

But you can check the MOD values within the app anytime (before or after a cal). Open the MC settings page then SENSORS. You'll see the Compass XYZ numbers but the MOD value on the right should be around 1400 and 1599 (1500 is considered by many as best). These #s keep changing all the time since the AC is under variable influence, you can leave it open and see how moving around affects but it's OK that they change and even if they go out of that range for a few secs it should be OK, no need to obsess (we already obsess about way too many little things about these drones LOL).

Another way to check it is by using Healthy Drones, the sensor reports can help but I can't tell how it is to have a faulty compass since I never had an issue and thus nothing ever showed on HD. The GO app sensor screen is also real-time so you can use it to find a nice, clear takeoff site.

You also need to calibrate you tablet compass, I use iPads Mini4, Air, etc.) and it usually asks for calibration automatically whenever it needs so I just do it and it's OK. But I leave the P3P compass alone unless it starts to act crazy, which thankfully never happened. There's no way to be 100% safe with these flying things but you can just check what's possible, and regarding to compass it's a good idea to avoid strong magnetic interference such as powerful speakers, neodymium magnets of all kinds, the like.

Last edited:
03295c499bd03d1e76edebd6bb09061d.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my sensors.

You have to enable flight data mode in the app to be able to access the records in the Phantom.

I've never, ever experienced a compass error with any of my DJI drones. Sometimes I'm taking off from a concrete slab or other interference source and it tells me to move the AC elsewhere but that's it, I just find another launchpad and it's good to go again.

My oldest P3P has almost 400 flights and zero issues. Last time I did a compass cal was in 2015, almost a yr ago in fact. Same to other quads. I've traveled a lot with it during this time since it's easier to carry around and set up/takeoff than the I1, still I don't ever calibrate and it just fly beautifully every time. The numbers are OK as well so I leave it as it is.

What? You have never experienced a compass error but the drone tells you to move the drone? Isn't that an error?

What? You have never experienced a compass error but the drone tells you to move the drone? Isn't that an error?

Never experienced a compass error during a flight. That'd be considered a compass error. Of course I've tried to take off from magnetic affected areas many, many times. That's a pilot's error :D

Reactions: kirk2579
Flight data mode was enabled via the app, or at least I THINK it was. The two pop up boxes you touch Ok.? Or just the first one, touching ok Only after you've taken the files?

I miss the stability of my old P2, I flew the piss out of that bird.

Flight data mode was enabled via the app, or at least I THINK it was. The two pop up boxes you touch Ok.? Or just the first one, touching ok Only after you've taken the files?

Sounds like you're having fun with this one. After you click OK on the first popup the "Enter Flight Data Mode" selection in the Go App will have a "Please Wait" appended for about 3 or 4 seconds. After that the second popup comes up saying that it's entered flight data mode. Click OK on that popup and your PC should be able to see the P3 as a disk drive labelled "DJI FLY LOG".

I seem to recall someone else having trouble with Windows 10. I don't recall how it was solved. But, it sounds like it's a driver issue. I'll look around.

Sounds like you're having fun with this one. After you click OK on the first popup the "Enter Flight Data Mode" selection in the Go App will have a "Please Wait" appended for about 3 or 4 seconds. After that the second popup comes up saying that it's entered flight data mode. Click OK on that popup and your PC should be able to see the P3 as a disk drive labelled "DJI FLY LOG".

I seem to recall someone else having trouble with Windows 10. I don't recall how it was solved. But, it sounds like it's a driver issue. I'll look around.

It looks like I'm following the correct procedure. A driver issue with Windows 10 is the likely culprit. Can you emulate a usb port in admin mode say back to win XP? I know Win 10 cannot see the P2 firmware.

It looks like I'm following the correct procedure. A driver issue with Windows 10 is the likely culprit. Can you emulate a usb port in admin mode say back to win XP? I know Win 10 cannot see the P2 firmware.

Don't know about emulating the USB port like you described. Sounds kinda scary. The P4 requires a DJI Assistant 2 app in order to talk to the P4. I seem to recall that if it is installed you get a USB driver as part of the install. I installed it here on my Windows 7 because I was trying to read the P4 .DAT. You might try installing DJI Assistant 2 and see if that fixes the driver problem. DJI Assistant 2 can be found here . Right side of the page half way down.

Ok, today I plan to take another flight. I re calibrated EVERYTHING I could, compass, gimbal, IMU and I'm going for it again. I will post the DAT file...IF I can connect the bird to the USB.

Update: Still cannot access the P3A internal memory via USB plug. I guess I have to file a warranty claim, I'm tired of this POS. This will cost me most of the remaining flight season.

You can check if a compass is calibrated correctly for Local Magnetic Variation.
Send the aircraft away about a quarter of a mile, then select Home Point. Bring it back by moving the right stick back.
Check the log replay in DJI Go. If the return track is straight, then the the compass is good. If the return track is a curve then
the compass needs recalibrating for your area on this planet. Do this for a few other directions to be sure. This procedure needs a calm day .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic