Why does the DJI Phantom 3 Compass Hardware Fail?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experiencing with the P3 compass failing and requiring a replacement? Or does anyone have experience with the compass not working and then suddenly working in and around the same environment? I'm interested to seeing how many compass failures exist that are NOT related to the usual enviromental conditions that prevent a successful calibration.

None for me, unless I try to calibrate my drones compass in the house. Then I get the verbal assault.. Haha
The fix, simply hold it a little higher, over my head. Not!! ;-)
For safe and proper procedure: The Phantom 3 compass must be calibrated out of doors, well away from any ferrous metal or electrical current interference. Don't stand on or near any ant hills either, while calibrating. Or you will exerience an excruciating discovery. Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Does anyone have any experiencing with the P3 compass failing and requiring a replacement? Or does anyone have experience with the compass not working and then suddenly working in and around the same environment? I'm interested to seeing how many compass failures exist that are NOT related to the usual enviromental conditions that prevent a successful calibration.

Those are situations that have never taken place that I'm aware of. It seems the issue have more so been due to improper calibrations. And probably not calibrating after bring the compass on the landing gear near metal that has corrupted the settings. It has been said over time that even a pocket full of coins can interfere with the compass settings.

I know if I even suspect I may have screwed up the setting somehow, I will not wait for a message to say I should calibrate, I'll just go ahead a do it and get it behind me.

Now if you doubt your ability to do a proper calibration, then as a option, you might consider going to msinger's phantomhelp site and learning how to do it because it is an important process. Btw, all P3 calibrations are for that matter.

Last edited:
Yes, a compass error happens virtually every flight, it does not matter if I calibrate it or not. Nor is it site specific. I do believe though it is related to yaw rates while maneuvering in slightly higher wind speeds.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes, a compass error happens virtually every flight, it does not matter if I calibrate it or not. Nor is it site specific. I do believe though it is related to yaw rates while maneuvering in slightly higher wind speeds.

If that was my aircraft there would be noway I would be flying it. When you see a compass error, you kind of need to look at it as if it was a flatline on a heart monitor. In other words land it asap.

I can try to help you out if you like. You will need a little patients. also know that you will likely get numberous people adding their input to the issue. In that case it is generally good to pay attention to those with a early join date in most cases.

To begin with are you able to upload a TXT file from one of the most recent flight that displayed a compass issue? Are you familiar with that process? Btw, rather then jackin someone elses thread you can do this by posting your own thread, or by sending me a "Conversation" notice.

An actual hardware eror for the compass is extremely rare.
The only issues I've ever heard of are broken or disconnected compass cables.
It's usually a mistake to consider a compass error as a compass failure.

Back in the early days of FC40/P2 the cable was a bit hit and miss in it socket.

The sensor (and possibly other parts of the quad) might become magnetized. For instance if you put it in your car trunk next to a large subwoofer. You can always try degaussing it, if you have a degausser.

If you dont have one, tape a strong rare earth magnet to a drill tip and spin it fast in close proximity of the compass. Then use the technique explained here:
How to Degauss a Computer Monitor

Im not responsible for any consequences, but IMO doing this is probably more useful than re calibrating every day.

Last edited:
I've never, ever experienced a compass error with any of my DJI drones. Sometimes I'm taking off from a concrete slab or other interference source and it tells me to move the AC elsewhere but that's it, I just find another launchpad and it's good to go again.

My oldest P3P has almost 400 flights and zero issues. Last time I did a compass cal was in 2015, almost a yr ago in fact. Same to other quads. I've traveled a lot with it during this time since it's easier to carry around and set up/takeoff than the I1, still I don't ever calibrate and it just fly beautifully every time. The numbers are OK as well so I leave it as it is.

Reactions: kirk2579
An actual hardware eror for the compass is extremely rare.
The only issues I've ever heard of are broken or disconnected compass cables.
It's usually a mistake to consider a compass error as a compass failure.

Meta -- I cannot explain how I have not been able to calibrate the compass in the last two months (same location as always) and then for the compass to all of a sudden start working again.

screwed up the compass in my P1 when I used a screwdriver with a strong magnet in it to attached it to the wider legs I purchased. I had a spare, but the one I screwed up eventually degaussed itself and worked on retracts I put it one. I couldnt calibrate it when it was magnetized, but could later when I used it again.

can i use compass phantom 3 standard plug in phantom 3 advance? Do it work?

compass 3 adv:
[file]3adv|none[/file]

compass 3s
[file]3sss|none[/file]

Last edited:
can i use compass phantom 3 standard plug in phantom 3 advance? Do it work?

compass 3 adv:
[file]3adv|none[/file]

compass 3s
[file]3sss|none[/file]

Have you cross referenced the part numbers for a comparison of some kind? I have never had to replace the compass yet on my P3P. But just guessing....I would think the parts were the same in this case?

I'd be happy to provide a txt report to anyone who wishes to review it for compass issues.

I'd be happy to provide a txt report to anyone who wishes to review it for compass issues.

Can you provide the .DAT instead? It's on the P3 not the tablet. Go here to see how to retrieve it. It'll be large so you'll need to provide a DropBox link or Google Drive link.

What is your compass mod value after a calibration? I believe it should be in the 1400's.
Mine is normally 1490.

A few thoughts. The compass consists of a tiny circuit board mounted in the bottom of one of the legs. These are not compasses like you used in the Boy Scouts, They have no moving parts. The 3 axis compass IC itself has resistive metal strips inside, arranged in such a way so as to sense the earth's magnetic field and strength. This data is placed in chip registers so as to be communicated to the main controller board. These chips are typically self degaussing. Pilots calibrate their Phantoms in a few different ways. Some hold the bird out in front of them, and spin. Some just spin the bird itself. So let's say you are wearing a watch, or have a phone or coins in your pocket, or have the controller hanging from you neck. This metal can affect the calibration. How do you hold your Phantom during calibration? Is your sweaty hand covering or near that compass in the leg? When I calibrate, which is rare, I make sure there is no metal nearby, and I am not carrying any. Hold the bird away from your body. Manipulate the bird while avoiding holding it near the compass area. Go slowly, give that compass chip time to get a good "read" on the earth's magnetic field.

Reactions: Mario_SB
I've never, ever experienced a compass error with any of my DJI drones. Sometimes I'm taking off from a concrete slab or other interference source and it tells me to move the AC elsewhere but that's it, I just find another launchpad and it's good to go again.

My oldest P3P has almost 400 flights and zero issues. Last time I did a compass cal was in 2015, almost a yr ago in fact. Same to other quads. I've traveled a lot with it during this time since it's easier to carry around and set up/takeoff than the I1, still I don't ever calibrate and it just fly beautifully every time. The numbers are OK as well so I leave it as it is.

Is there a way to check if its ok? you say the #'s are good, but how do you check?

I stopped calibrating everytime I fly now since it was told to not do this.

but I'd like the peace of mind knowing its ok, how do I make sure of this ?

Thanks

Look under sensors in the go app.

What blows me away, on known flights with compass issues healthy drones says all is well regarding the compass. "No issues found Yay"

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl