Why does my video seem choppy and skips.

The OP never actually mentions 4K video. For all we know, he's recording at 1080p. I can playback 4K video just fine on a 2009 MacBook Pro - but I wouldn't want to try editing it on that platform (as it would take forever).

Not copying the video files off of the SD card to the local hard drive before attempting to play them seems like the most likely cause for his playback problems. It may also be the playback program he is using. He should make sure he tries QuickTime - some other program may have hijacked his file association for the video files.

While you are correct the format doesn't matter. Some devices with standard video configurations can't handle it. If their system was a base model it's likely to have a 94m 256 video or integrated. If yours can play it fine, you likely have the upgraded video card version. At the time apple offered a 1gb version which can play even 4K fine.

I do agree as others have said without direct knowledge and response from OP his statement does indicate he's playing direct which is not good.

By default your mac will open the video in QuickTime player. What I usually do is import the file from QuickTime to iTunes and it looks great!

By default your mac will open the video in QuickTime player. What I usually do is import the file from QuickTime to iTunes and it looks great!
iTunes is just media management software similar to Lightroom being a photo management software. So if there are problems with playback in quicktime player, they will be there in iTunes as well. iTunes may even cause more problems in this case since it requires more RAM.

I have the same exact trouble with play back on my lap top. It's a new HP computer. Every flight I have tried to look at has been the same results. I change camera settings, again...Go out for another flight and come back to same video, choppy and broken. Not sure a new computer is your answer totally. Mine is not a Mac but, it is brand new. I also bought an expensive SD card trying that. Save your money unless you just want the upgrade, it will not solve your troubles. I am flying a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. This is some great info, thank you all! I am going to try a lower resolution setting and see what happens.

I have the same exact trouble with play back on my lap top. It's a new HP computer. Every flight I have tried to look at has been the same results. I change camera settings, again...Go out for another flight and come back to same video, choppy and broken. Not sure a new computer is your answer totally. Mine is not a Mac but, it is brand new. I also bought an expensive SD card trying that. Save your money unless you just want the upgrade, it will not solve your troubles. I am flying a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. This is some great info, thank you all! I am going to try a lower resolution setting and see what happens.

As many have mention and you as well as the OP have not disclosed is this, are you playing from the card directly or importing from the card to the internal storage (hard drive) and then playing. If it's the first one you need to copy to hard drive first that will resolve most issues. If you already do, then it's a computer specs issue.

Reactions: Tenly
I allways use my 50 in. Samsung tv to playback vids. No problems here. P3A , 1080p , 60fps vids make you sway if your standing and stills , you want to step into

Last edited:
As many have mention and you as well as the OP have not disclosed is this, are you playing from the card directly or importing from the card to the internal storage (hard drive) and then playing. If it's the first one you need to copy to hard drive first that will resolve most issues. If you already do, then it's a computer specs issue.

It's crazy how the one suggestion that could eliminate the problems these people are having is being ignored completely.

Oh well - maybe they're looking for an excuse to justify the purchase of a new system and they don't really want it to work with their current rigs. Seems a shame to see people more willing to sacrifice resolution than to perform one additional step.

Perhaps they just completely disbelieve that the answer could be so simple? Or they don't understand the speed differences between an SD card plugged into a computer and the internal hard drive - after all, they are both displayed in File Explorer the same way.

But whatever - we've tried to help. Perhaps others that find this thread will see our advice and take it.

Other suggestions that may provide better performance on an older and/or underpowered computer:
- close all unnecessary apps and web pages
- add memory to the system
- defragment your hard drives
- make sure you have the most recent video drivers and codecs installed

But new or old - always drag the video files off of the SD card onto the Desktop or Documents folder or some other folder on your C: drive before playback. Playing them back from a plugged in SD card will be less reliable (even if it currently works fine).

On a brand new Mac, that's true - but on an older machine, it's possible - even likely - that VLC or some other video player has configured itself to be the default - in which case the OP would have to right-click the video file and then choose to open it with QuickTime - or open QuickTime first and then use File Open within QuickTime to navigate to the video file.

The OP never actually mentions 4K video. For all we know, he's recording at 1080p. I can playback 4K video just fine on a 2009 MacBook Pro - but I wouldn't want to try editing it on that platform (as it would take forever).

Not copying the video files off of the SD card to the local hard drive before attempting to play them seems like the most likely cause for his playback problems. It may also be the playback program he is using. He should make sure he tries QuickTime - some other (less capable) program may have hijacked his file association for the video files.

I put the SD card into the slot and then import the pictures and video to my photos, that's what I'm prompted to do once the mac sees the SD card. Am I doing it wrong? I wanna record in 4K but people told me not to cuz of the problems I'm having with the choppiness.

If you're importing and it's still choppy check your specs. Drive speed can affect it if you have a 5400 speed drive. Also memory as mentioned earlier. Then VRAM for the video card. If you have 256MB video memory then 1080p 30 is about all you will be able to run smoothly in playback. 60fps and then 2k and 4K any fps your system will lag and be jittery.

This doesn't mean you can't film in 4K. Copy to hard drive. Upload to YouTube and then watch on a 4K smart tv or something.

If you're importing and it's still choppy check your specs. Drive speed can affect it if you have a 5400 speed drive. Also memory as mentioned earlier. Then VRAM for the video card. If you have 256MB video memory then 1080p 30 is about all you will be able to run smoothly in playback. 60fps and then 2k and 4K any fps your system will lag and be jittery.

This doesn't mean you can't film in 4K. Copy to hard drive. Upload to YouTube and then watch on a 4K smart tv or something.

8e205333d6f1262d9467e32d644c230e.jpg

This is what my computer has.

So you should DEF increase your memory that will help dramatically. 8GB memory (your max configuration 4GB x 2 pieces)
Switching to an SSD would be great too.

With those two changed you should playback 1080P30F content just fine.

Anything else such as::
1080P60F
2K/Any
4K/any

Will not work on this system.

Again, However, you can still import the data from the card, then upload to another source (web based such as youtube) and watch it on other sources. Such as an iPad, iPhone, android, smart tv's, pretty much anything more modern can handle the video.

Once you upgrade your system in the future and transfer your data, then that footage can be viewed locally no problem.

Like I said, I am in the same boat, my iMac 2010 has 256. anything over 1080p30f stutters and dies on me. But I am still shooting in it so I can enjoy it in the future. I just use software (final cut, compressor) to edit in proxy mode then upload it with cuts. You can also use other software to transcode to 1080p/30f so you can enjoy it on your computer, but leave the originals in place for future systems.

I have a mac book pro with an SSD with the RAM is maxed out and my video still skips with 2 to 3 second pauses through out.

I have a mac book pro with an SSD with the RAM is maxed out and my video still skips with 2 to 3 second pauses through out.

Because all of that helps with access speed the cite issue for most people is the video ram.

128/256 will get you 1080/30
512 will get you 1080/60 usually
1g+ will allow 4K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic