Why does my video seem choppy and skips.

Reaction score
When I take video and put the SD card into my computer it skips and is choppy like it pauses and jumps a few feet forward. When I play the video through the cache it doesn't jump at all. Even playing it through my iPad it's fine. I got a new SD card thinking that was the problem. I'm trying to play the video on a MacBook Pro that is 7 years old. I completely erased everything on the computer thinking it was slowing it down but it still does the same ****. Is my computer too old? Is it the wire going from the RC to my iPhone? It's making me angry.

I've had the same issue all the time. Doesn't matter what video format I set the P4P too I can not get the video to play on my PC. It will play on my iPads, Cell phones , YouTube everywhere BUT my pc. I've tried adding all kinds of video plugins etc.... nothing seems to work.

Record at 1080 30fps. Should be fine then. Works on my older Mac. Anything higher you'll need a better faster computer.

It doesn't matter which video mode you choose in the DJI Go app. The video in the cache is always low resolution 720P. It doesn't take much of a computer or tablet to play that.

But 4K video does require the horsepower that is only available with newer high end computers. A twelve year old laptop running Windows XP just won't cut it.

What type of system are you trying to view 4K video on?

Reactions: Pharm
What media player are you trying to play it with?
My 2016 Macbook Pro is only a basic 13" version and that plays 4K just fine with Quicktime but VLC player is just a choppy mess :)

When I take video and put the SD card into my computer it skips and is choppy like it pauses and jumps a few feet forward. When I play the video through the cache it doesn't jump at all. Even playing it through my iPad it's fine. I got a new SD card thinking that was the problem. I'm trying to play the video on a MacBook Pro that is 7 years old. I completely erased everything on the computer thinking it was slowing it down but it still does the same ****. Is my computer too old? Is it the wire going from the RC to my iPhone? It's making me angry.
HI what sd card you using,,me p4 was doing this ,,changed usb and got 64gb at 90mb/s ,,fixed me problem

I just bought a new SD card.

I'm wonder if the USB cable from the RC to my iPhone. I bought a spiral one like an old phone cord like thing.

Last edited:
I had the same problem the wife bought me a 4K SD card for our anniversary. It works great excellent picture quality and smooth video.

I just bought a new SD card.

I'm wonder if the USB cable from the RC to my iPhone. I bought a spiral one like an old phone cord like thing.

This might be an obvious thing to suggest - but I hope that you're copying the media off of the SD card into a folder on your desktop - or your computers internal hard drive before trying to play it...

If you're trying to play it directly from the SD card - or from an external USB drive, that might be the problem. You'll get the best results by copying it to your computers internal hard drive and then playing it from that location.

Reactions: DKG13CC
This might be an obvious thing to suggest - but I hope that you're copying the media off of the SD card into a folder on your desktop - or your computers internal hard drive before trying to play it...

If you're trying to play it directly from the SD card - or from an external USB drive, that might be the problem. You'll get the best results by copying it to your computers internal hard drive and then playing it from that location.

+1. My mother can view my P4 and P3 videos with the very my occasional stutter on her 3 or 4 year old Dell, but it flat wont play just streaming from SD.

Yeah mines 2010. I wonder if it's time for a new laptop?
Yes a 2010 Macbook Pro is old by today's standards and as you said it might be time to consider replacing it, BUT if you are not willing to spend the large amount of $$$$ for a new current one, there are 2 upgrades you can do to your laptop that may improve your situation: 1) maximize the RAM. If your laptop is stock, it likely only has 4GB RAM. It can at least be upgraded to 8GB and maybe even 16GB, 2) Replace your hard drive with an SSD. They have come down a lot in price and depending on the size you want, are relatively cheap. Both of these upgrades will be a fraction of the cost of a new laptop and will make huge improvements in the overall speed of your laptop, especially the SSD upgrade. The only bottleneck in the system will be the graphics chip which you cannot upgrade. These are just other things to consider.

The larger concern on a 2010 mac is video memory. The SSD and memory is great but if you have the standard graphics card 128/256video memory you will just not be able to do it.

However, you can use video editors such as Final Cut Pro, and use proxy media to edit 4K footage. Once edited, click to switch back to original media and export in 4K/1080 whatever. You can then watch 1080/30 fine on that system wth your edits or upload to YouTube and watch the 4K on a smart tv or other device with more video memory.

I shoot in full 4K and edit on a 2010 iMac. Upgraded ram and SSD storage but that pesky video memory of 256 ain't cutting it. So proxy it is for me.

Reactions: Mix_
The larger concern on a 2010 mac is video memory. The SSD and memory is great but if you have the standard graphics card 128/256video memory you will just not be able to do it.

However, you can use video editors such as Final Cut Pro, and use proxy media to edit 4K footage. Once edited, click to switch back to original media and export in 4K/1080 whatever. You can then watch 1080/30 fine on that system wth your edits or upload to YouTube and watch the 4K on a smart tv or other device with more video memory.

I shoot in full 4K and edit on a 2010 iMac. Upgraded ram and SSD storage but that pesky video memory of 256 ain't cutting it. So proxy it is for me.
I agree. A 2010 MacBook which would even be slower than your iMac is not going to do well with 4k video. RAM and SSD upgrades would improve but not solve the OPs problems with stutter as the video card/memory is the main bottleneck here.

The OP never actually mentions 4K video. For all we know, he's recording at 1080p. I can playback 4K video just fine on a 2009 MacBook Pro - but I wouldn't want to try editing it on that platform (as it would take forever).

Not copying the video files off of the SD card to the local hard drive before attempting to play them seems like the most likely cause for his playback problems. It may also be the playback program he is using. He should make sure he tries QuickTime - some other (less capable) program may have hijacked his file association for the video files.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31