Why does it need cellular & GPS?

Reaction score
I've been reading all the threads about tablets and I'm confused as to why it needs cellular and a GPS antenna if everyone says you should cache maps via WiFi before leaving home for the area you will be flying in and then use Airplane Mode? Thanks!

You don't NEED cellular or GPS in your tablet.
You can fly just fine without and if you want maps, it's easy to cache them at home and they'll be available when you fly.

You need GPS in your tablet only to be able to reset your Phantom's home point to the tablet location.
And if you have an Ipad, the only way to get GPS is to buy the cellular version.

Ok, but can't you manually pick your RTH point on the map you cached (assuming you know where you are on the map) without using GPS to show you where you are?

Are there any tablets that have GPS without cellular that you recommend?
I know with the iPad, to get GPS you have to get cellular because the WiFi only version doesn't have the GPS antenna.

Ok, but can't you manually pick your RTH point on the map you cached (assuming you know where you are on the map) without using GPS to show you where you are?
Not that I'm aware of.
But this is no problem for most flying.
RTH to takeoff point is perfect for most uses.
Are there any tablets that have GPS without cellular that you recommend?
I know with the iPad, to get GPS you have to get cellular because the WiFi only version doesn't have the GPS antenna.
Many (most?) Android devices have GPS.

Thank you SOOO much!!! I'm not going to be leaving my take off point by driving or boating around while flying. As long as it knows where it took off so it can RTH to that point, I don't need GPS or cellular!!
Since everyone seems to prefer Apple products because they work better with the DJI app, I can pick up an iPad mini 2 for $129 on EBay.
Thanks again!! Happy flying!!

There are only two choices when resetting the home point -- both require GPS. You can reset the home point to the current position of the Phantom (which uses the Phantom's GPS). Or, you can reset the home point to your current location (which uses the GPS from your device). The second option will of course only work if you have GPS on your device.

If you decide to go with an Apple device, you don't have to activate the cell service in order to use the GPS. You definitely must have a cellular model though.

Reactions: ems1016
Since DHP doesn't (presently) automatically update periodically (as it was originally purported to do), you still have to remember to reset it periodically. Seems to me if its not automatic, there's no real advantage (presently) to using DHP over RTH, the latter of which also can be re- set periodically.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20