Why does car SATNAV work, but PV2 struggles ?

Reaction score
Flying in Italy Aosta, only at some locations high up the Alps no sats are picked up on the Phantom vision 2 plus, but the car satnav works fine ? Any ideas why that is ?

Flying in Italy Aosta, only at some locations high up the Alps no sats are picked up on the Phantom vision 2 plus, but the car satnav works fine ? Any ideas why that is ?

Is the SatNav antenna on the outside of the car?

If so, The car creates an 'awesome' ground plane and the rule of thumb is the bigger the ground plane the greater the gain.

Is the SatNav antenna on the outside of the car?

If so, The car creates an 'awesome' ground plane and the rule of thumb is the bigger the ground plane the greater the gain.
Car satnav is a small cheapy stuck on window, aerial inside it, unless the usb cable also acts as a aerial.

No, the USB is not a factor in reception.

Can you put the SatNav unit outside the car and compare?

Not saying it's a 1-to-1 comparison due to yet another different immediate environment but could shed somelight on a contributor.

Different antennas.
Does your P2V+ have the foil mod or is it a V3?
If not a foil mod should have it picking up lots of sats everywhere.
Version 2. I removed the copper foil mod, because there was evidence of electrical arcing or static discharging. I investigated but no solution.

Version 2. I removed the copper foil mod, because there was evidence of electrical arcing or static discharging. I investigated but no solution.
Without the foil mod, your wifi is emitting interference that disrupts the satnav signals.
The foil mod fixes this and instantly gives you great satellite reception.
Easy to do yourself or you can buy one pre-cut like this: Phantom Upgraded GPS Shield

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj