WHY do you fly?

Reaction score
Having lurked in these forums for a bit, I see a few groups on here.

The techie guys who dig the hardware (I can barely understand those antenna threads).
The photographers/videographers (awesome...and I think I'd fall into that bunch).
The pilots (r/c and otherwise).
The noobs who're like "That's pretty freakin' cool, I want to try!" (I'm also in this group)

I've dumped a couple of grand into some hobbies, but usually over a period of time, never all at once. I'm still debating on getting a P4. I do enjoy photography, have had fun flying some cheapo r/c planes and quads. But still.....it ain't cheap! LOL

So you all....what 'group' are you in, and has your enthusiasm over the Phantom waned any over time? For those of you who DON'T do it as a business, has it kept your interest?

Group #3 first,
Group #1 second.

I fly my P2 NV in Manual Mode more than my others so my interest will never wane.

i'm a big GoPro fan, & the drone gives different angles to video from

I started with a cheap drone as a Christmas present and worked my way up. In the drone world it really is true that the more you spend the better the experience. Currently on P3A which I love. Great to fly, great camera, and great fun. I sold my previous drone a P FC40 to some guy who saw me flying it near the beach and paid me in cash more than I paid new for it. What I love about this hobby is that you keep on learning.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Pilot
Techie
Photographer

I prefer to fly "planks" (airplanes) but like the rush of the heli. I fly UAS for $$.

Photography primarily, and a little bit the fun of flying. Started out with a Syma and after getting it caught in trees a few times it kind of got put aside (plus it was winter in PA, not a great time to fly). I happened to be looking online at a P3P last January and my wife walked by and saw the price (after seeing the Inspire One prices) and said I should go ahead and get it if I want (Oh Yeaaaaah!). I'm interested in getting in to commercial flying and I'm on the 107 route right now. BigAl07, do you have any advice in getting started in this area? In the meantime I'm just buzzing around the neighborhood (no complaints yet) and taking some blended HDR shots and panos. Its nice having a 400 foot tripod.

love taking photos of anything and everything, seen my buddies P3P first hand and said i need one of those..Bought a P4 and went all in , yea lots of $ up front spent a few k and was like Dam!!! now after flying and seeing things from above , best money i've spent on my hobbies...fun factor off the chart...love be able to see what others can't unless up in the air...scenery is just amazing....take the plunge ...best $ spent ...have fun

Photography primarily, and a little bit the fun of flying. Started out with a Syma and after getting it caught in trees a few times it kind of got put aside (plus it was winter in PA, not a great time to fly). I happened to be looking online at a P3P last January and my wife walked by and saw the price (after seeing the Inspire One prices) and said I should go ahead and get it if I want (Oh Yeaaaaah!). I'm interested in getting in to commercial flying and I'm on the 107 route right now. BigAl07, do you have any advice in getting started in this area? In the meantime I'm just buzzing around the neighborhood (no complaints yet) and taking some blended HDR shots and panos. Its nice having a 400 foot tripod.

My only advice is to learn to "Network" within the industry and be a sponge. Keep your ears open for new ideas.

Also if you're really interested in doing it as a business take the time to research and write a business plan. I can't stress just how helpful that was for us. We took a few months to research and write it but we learned so much and honestly it changed our business (hopefully for the better LOL).

I'm in a group of my own spend money and go for distance

Reactions: Reed L
I would argue that's a subsection of the techies. ;)

I'm primarily an outdoors activity kinda guy....hiking, kayaking (the sedate, sane kind, not whitewater LOL). And when I'm out, I try to take pics. I think I can incorporate a drone into that.

It has always been strictly for photographic purposes. At first, I wanted a stable video platform. Since then, I have discovered that pictures turn out to be a better format than video.

I am waiting for the day I can use this to make money

I'm primarily in it for the photography/videography. I just love the way things look from the air - there's nothing like a sunset over the lake from 400 feet up. I do enjoy the piloting aspect as well, but I really see these as aerial cameras first and foremost and I don't push the limits/take risks. That's what my $50 toy quads are for.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using PhantomPilots mobile app

chicks dig drones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav