Why do we get a bad rap for flying our drones.

Reaction score
Up until this point I have had no unhappy responses to my Phantom. Today I was flying my P3P in front of my house going up and down the street and a woman across the street didn't bother to come talk to me...she just pulled out her phone and called the police and said I was flying in her backyard. I couldn't believe it. I would have gladly stopped if she said that it made her uncomfortable. She also blatantly lied to back her side of the story but luckily I had my healthy drones map ready to show the police where I was flying. I don't think it was worth the time of the police because they didn't show up but it pissed me off that she wouldn't come talk to me. Anybody else around here have anybody react negatively to your Phantoms?

It's usually best to post a question in one forum or another. Discussions get fragmented and repetitive.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

...and she is your neighbor?
Just to make sure, no bad blood between you and husband?

Reactions: mmee1992
I have yet to have a single person respond negatively. It seems whenever I fly people are always curious & come to check it out up close. Your lady buddy....think I'd have to park my Phantoms just off the property line on three corners of her house just for spite. :mad:

Reactions: mmee1992
That sucks - I m new to the game with my P3A and not sure what I would say to someone that ridiculous. I mean I can think of a few choice words but that wouldn't help! Sounds like a Cali Politician - lol. Someone with way too much time on their hands.

Good job having the "Healthy Drones" info in case needed. Although that guy who had his UAV (think it was a Phantom) shot down by that clown they are now calling "Drone Slayer" - also had his flight results and maps on hand when the case went to court. The judge wouldn't look nor consider the evidence from the UAV owner and dismissed the case “Drone Slayer” cleared of charges: “I wish this had never happened”

Let's face it the deck is stacked against flying these and that is the real crime. Happy safe flying.

...and she is your neighbor?
Just to make sure, no bad blood between you and husband?
Nope no bad blood whatsoever. Only ever friendly greetings with that family.

I have yet to have a single person respond negatively. It seems whenever I fly people are always curious & come to check it out up close. Your lady buddy....think I'd have to park my Phantoms just off the property line on three corners of her house just for spite. :mad:
I decided until she's willing to act like a civilized person and talk to me...I will continue to fly in front of my house.

I would talk to the husband over a cold beer and show, explain there is no danger and no snooping intentions. You just want to fly on the street above common public area.
Let the husband deal with her and not you.
I am in the other boat. A lot of neighbors want me to take videos of the hood and over the houses for them to post in FB and other media outlets.

In their minds. Drones are used by governments to spy and kill. I correct people when I can and call it UAV or quad copter. I have had only good responses. People curious who want to get one. The other night taking aerials at our local pier I had another phantom pilot come over and actually hand caught my phantom when I brought back in.

Yep, she's just listened to the media telling her that drones are no good and spying on her. On the other hand, a lot of people will not say anything, and call the police instead. They just don't like confrontation. A lot of people also don't like drones buzzing the neighborhood. You're just asking for more trouble by doing it.

With all the bad rap drones are getting now, with all the rules that are coming or going into play, with the registrations, the licenses, the possible requirement of insurance, fly parks possibly getting shutdown, your neighbors starting to look at you with an evil eye......are any of you considering just dropping the hobby and moving on to something else thats less in the media's attention? I mean I understand the need to fight for our rights and all but at the same time I don't think drones will never be out of the spotlight ever again. The fun part of it is getting ruined.

I don't know of any drones getting bad 'rap'.

Plenty of ignorant, inconsiderate, and irresponsible 'pilots' though.

I don't know of any drones getting bad 'rap'.

Plenty of ignorant, inconsiderate, and irresponsible 'pilots' though.

Your kidding, right?

Lies fed to the media directly from the FAA. Lies then told in the news. Judges ignoring the local laws against property damage to drones, local law enforcement making illegal laws against drones, the FAA being required to create regulations for drones but they have failed to do so, the list goes on.

Out of the million or so drones in the air multiplied by xxx number of flights by each of these drones, how many drone flights have been in violation of any laws?

So the reaction is correct for the actions of all drone pilots?

Nope, not kidding.

People are all over the map. The woman in question could spend her entire day watching CNN - that' can't be good for you. She might have had a ** really bad ** day. Maybe she has a daughter that she is worried about.

Best thing to do is something called 'active listening' (you can look it up). It's a remarkably successful technique to defuse situations, the only problem is that you have to avoid escalating the incident.

I've not had anyone react negatively towards my Phantoms - except the Irish Setter puppy the other day who ran over it chasing my dog. Most people are curious. That said, I would avoid flying in a residential area - nothing is going to get you bad press like a tumbling 2 kg, bladed package. I am perfectly amazed at all of the videos I see of people flying over subdivisions, roads, cities. Yes, the likelihood of any particular flight ending up in a catastrophe is small, but the probabilities add up over time and in our 24 hour News Frenzy, any accident will get nationwide coverage. Play it smart.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
In their minds. Drones are used by governments to spy and kill. I correct people when I can and call it UAV or quad copter. I have had only good responses. People curious who want to get one. The other night taking aerials at our local pier I had another phantom pilot come over and actually hand caught my phantom when I brought back in.

I would think he's ready to steal it

Also can I ask a question, nothing to do with drone, a few years ago. I uploaded a video of my street onto youtube and this guy came over and told me to take it down or he will phone the police. Was I in the wrong??

Not intending to get too enmeshed in this discussion. But, if someone complains about your drone (if you're flying prudently) or your YouTube video, that's who they are. It has nothing to do with you. Just like there are crazy drivers, scam artists, and people who dress badly!

Aside from a few sensational media reports (that's how they make money), and a small percentage of neurotic/paranoid people (they were around long before our drones were), there is the real issue that these things are flying in the public airspace over people and property, piloted by people who have no prior training.

So, under adverse circumstances, something bad might happen. Just like when a truck overturns on a highway, it's in the news.

So just have fun and take great pictures! Safely! :)

Reactions: N017RW

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20