Why do people think flying over water is scary?

Just through home and contents insurance, I added portable electronic extra cover. The phantom is classified as "camera equipment" I asked and basically if it gets lost, stolen, damaged, etc then it will be replaced up to the extra cover cost. Of course I have to pay the $300 excess but thats a small price to pay.

Which I had taken out $4000 for the Inspire 1 when I purchased it, but its not dedicated to the inspire 1 - its any electronic portable device, laptop, phone, camera, phantom, ipad etc

I don't need to prove it, I just need to make a claim and explain what happened. Also I would be able to show on the ipad that it lost signal or ended its journey in the river.

I thought home insurance only cover what's destroy/stolen whatever in the house. You mean home insurance cover your quad or camera even if you are half way around the world and left it somewhere? That's nice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I thought home insurance only cover what's destroy/stolen whatever in the house. You mean home insurance cover your quad or camera even if you are half way around the world and left it somewhere? That's nice

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Home Contents

Optional cover
You can add options to your policy to increase your Home Contents Insurance cover.

• Portable Contents cover for items you take when you leave your home, e.g. jewellery, a laptop or luggage

Portable.PNG

Reactions: GoodnNuff
As has been stated, its not that flying over water is scary, its trying to recover your bird if it goes down in the water. And its not just about "crashing", what if for some reason your Phantom decides it has to land "now" and its over water... damage, sinking, complete loss... over land, it becomes a matter of locating it and retrieving it.

Also crashing from a hover of 3' over land will result in damage, but most likely easily repairable with replacement parts. Over water, again, possible loss of the craft and if its retrievable its probably going back to DJI....

This is not to say I've not flown over water. I've flown over the rivers where should it go down, location and retrieval would be virtually impossible due to the fast moving water...

Last edited:
Majority of my flights are over ocean now. I keep it at 120m height and have gone 3.2k out. Have lost signal once or twice it always comes back fine.

Attachments

• 1460632697156.jpg
    1460632697156.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 278
Beats me..

Hey Mike, very cool footage, especially flying the dam in reverse, ...and the log jam going over, ...VERY cool :cool::cool::cool:. I went bass fishing at Blewett Falls years ago, but haven't returned. Heading to Chowan River in May, where I hope to get some good stuff. Thanks for the vid.

Beautiful scenery, takes a lot of nerves to fly over water like that...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

My first few Phantom 2 flights over a river were scary simply because there was water combined with my pre-conceived (exaggerated) fear of an accident over water. Now, with the Phantom 3, I have come to accept that when I fly over water there could be a complete loss. So, recently, I've just gone for it, despite the impossibility of recovery:

Reactions: QuadBart

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj