Why DJI may be shooting itself in the foot with the P4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
With the official launch of the Phantom 4 drone on 1st March 2016, we finally have a drone with collision avoidance, subject tracking, dual-IMU and compass, and even a sports mode. Surely this would make many P3 owners sell their birds and snap up a P4.

p42.jpg

However, I think that most P3 owners would actually just stay with their current drones.

The problem with the Phantom line is that when the P3 came out, it was miles ahead of the P2, its integrated lightbridge technology was amazing and its 4k camera gave wonderful clarity in video. Many owners wished that the next Phantom iteration would include retractable landing gears or 360 camera. That though, would mean that the phantom would slowly creep into the realm of the Inspire 1.

p43.jpg

DJI cannot create a phantom product that will eventually become like what the Inspire 1 is, because that would obviously kill the sales of the Inspire. Unless DJI creates a revolutionary Inspire 2, or find some other ways to improve the Phantom line without affecting sales of the Inspire, we could see DJI becoming like Apple, releasing products year after year with minimal changes from the previous product.

Here is what I think of the P4's system and what you can do with a P3.

1. Collision avoidance: Do your homework and find out the height of your surroundings first, set an appropriate RTH height before flying and make sure you maintain proper LOS with your bird.
  2. Dual IMU and Compass: Having two IMUs and Compasses is good, but that does not mean that you P3 would suddenly fail because of it. The system in P3 works fine and that's that.
  3. Sports Mode: This is one physical advantage that the P3 doesnt have, but how many of us really need the sports mode? Surely not enough to want us all to sell our P3 and pick up a P4.
  4. Subject tracking: Sure this is amazing software technology, but how many of us will constantly use it? Most of us are recreational flyers and do not make movies for a living. So we won't be hard up for that software.
  5. Motors that sit higher: Hmmm ok. So just plan your shots first and adjust your gimbal on your p3 before you film anything then.
  6. 4K camera with new glass: The P3's camera is already amazing. With proper technique and flying and grading of video, I don't see how the new camera will be that revolutionary compared to the P3's.
  7. Larger battery: Sure, the P4 battery is huge and provides 28 mins of flight time. It comes at a cost however, it takes almost 70 mins to charge one battery. Unless there is a new way of fast charging the batteries whilst maintain long flight times, i doubt any of us would be happy to wait for an hour for a battery to charge.
p41.jpg

What are your thoughts? Would you sell your P3 to get the P4?

Last edited:
Collisions avoidance is huge. If it really works, maybe we'll see less Phantoms flying into the Empire State Building or historic castles in the UK. If collision avoidance = headline avoidance, I'm all for it.

Motors that sit higher mean a Phantom that I can better plan my shots and shoot with more versatility.

I'm not likely to sell my P3 for a P4, but when I'm ready for a P5, I'll be glad it has these P4 technologies and more.

BTW... I wouldn't say that DJI is "slowly killing itself". On the contrary, DJI is cementing it's place as the best company for aerial drones. They're gaining a lot industry experience, loyalty and confidence. Imagine 10 years from now when we see all kinds of commercial drones flying the skies. Who do you think will be delivering those drones?

Your points are fair but your title is a bit out there. If anything DJI is not killing itself but rather becoming a billion dollar company due to the success of its drones. The Inspire is moving closer to the professional market with it's new cameras. To fill the hobby gap for beginners and enthusiasts is where the Phantom comes into play.

Reactions: Jimmer and Mario_SB
Your points are fair but your title is a bit out there. If anything DJI is not killing itself but rather becoming a billion dollar company due to the success of its drones. The Inspire is moving closer to the professional market with it's new cameras. To fill the hobby gap for beginners and enthusiasts is where the Phantom comes into play.

Well said.

Reactions: Jimmer and Jack1926
I don't think it's any secret that DJI patterns itself after Apple. When one looks at the iPhone and its iterations, the Phantom seems to follow a similar path. My P3P is is on eBay, Craigslist and Facebook! If I get a decent amount from the sale, I will buy a P4. If not, I will wait a little bit, but for me with a 333 exemption and work to do, I'll take one of those P4's please. I started with an FC40, P2, P2 Vision, P2 Vision+ and then the P3P. Can't complete the cycle w/o a P4!

I don't think it's any secret that DJI patterns itself after Apple. When one looks at the iPhone and its iterations, the Phantom seems to follow a similar path. My P3P is is on eBay, Craigslist and Facebook! If I get a decent amount from the sale, I will buy a P4. If not, I will wait a little bit, but for me with a 333 exemption and work to do, I'll take one of those P4's please. I started with an FC40, P2, P2 Vision, P2 Vision+ and then the P3P. Can't complete the cycle w/o a P4!

After all, you are the "Sky King"! Have fun with your new P4. :)

Reactions: Sky King
Heaven forbid you insult the great DJI in THIS forum!!! The DJI flying monkeys will hunt you down key stroke by key stroke until they find you and........disagree with the title of your post? Lmfao X 1,000.

I already ordered my P4. Keeping my P3 and gonna have fun flying both together

Your points are valid but sounds very much like all the reasons to keep your flip phone. Or your iPhone 4. Or. Or. ... As fast as technology is progressing I want to ride the crest of the wave! Expensive? Go buy some GOOG and AAPL and watch those leaders over the next 5 years.

Life is way too short. Have fun with what you have and enjoy the progress!

Last edited:
With the official launch of the Phantom 4 drone on 1st March 2016, we finally have a drone with collision avoidance, subject tracking, dual-IMU and compass, and even a sports mode. Surely this would make many P3 owners sell their birds and snap up a P4.

View attachment 45648
However, I think that most P3 owners would actually just stay with their current drones.

The problem with the Phantom line is that when the P3 came out, it was miles ahead of the P2, its integrated lightbridge technology was amazing and its 4k camera gave wonderful clarity in video. Many owners wished that the next Phantom iteration would include retractable landing gears or 360 camera. That though, would mean that the phantom would slowly creep into the realm of the Inspire 1.

View attachment 45650

DJI cannot create a phantom product that will eventually become like what the Inspire 1 is, because that would obviously kill the sales of the Inspire. Unless DJI creates a revolutionary Inspire 2, or find some other ways to improve the Phantom line without affecting sales of the Inspire, we could see DJI becoming like Apple, releasing products year after year with minimal changes from the previous product.

1. Collision avoidance: Do your homework and find out the height of your surroundings first, set an appropriate RTH height before flying and make sure you maintain proper LOS with your bird.
  2. Dual IMU and Compass: Having two IMUs and Compasses is good, but that does not mean that you P3 would suddenly fail because of it. The system in P3 works fine and that's that.
  3. Sports Mode: This is one physical advantage that the P3 doesnt have, but how many of us really need the sports mode? Surely not enough to want us all to sell our P3 and pick up a P4.
  4. Subject tracking: Sure this is amazing software technology, but how many of us will constantly use it? Most of us are recreational flyers and do not make movies for a living. So we won't be hard up for that software.
  5. Motors that sit higher: Hmmm ok. So just plan your shots first and adjust your gimbal on your p3 before you film anything then.
  6. 4K camera with new glass: The P3's camera is already amazing. With proper technique and flying and grading of video, I don't see how the new camera will be that revolutionary compared to the P3's.
  7. Larger battery: Sure, the P4 battery is huge and provides 28 mins of flight time. It comes at a cost however, it takes almost 70 mins to charge one battery. Unless there is a new way of fast charging the batteries whilst maintain long flight times, i doubt any of us would be happy to wait for an hour for a battery to charge.
View attachment 45649

Reactions: Jack1926

View attachment 45648

View attachment 45650

View attachment 45649

I already ordered my P4. Keeping my P3 and gonna have fun flying both together

Your points are valid but sounds very much like all the reasons to keep your flip phone. Or your iPhone 4. Or. Or. ... As fast as technology is progressing I want to ride the crest of the wave! Expensive? Go buy some GOOG and AAPL and watch those leaders over the next 5 years.

Life is to short. Have fun with what you have and enjoy the progress!

I'm really hoping for an Inspire 2 release. That would be where i would be splashing my money on. For now, I shall just stick with my P3P :)

Heaven forbid you insult the great DJI in THIS forum!!! The DJI flying monkeys will hunt you down key stroke by key stroke until they find you and........disagree with the title of your post? Lmfao X 1,000.
Chill out bro.

Reactions: Yeager74
I already sold my P3 and just ordered the P4. Very excited about the new technologies. I look at the new possibilities, not why you would not upgrade.

Keeping my P3P and will now order retracts. I'm satisfied [emoji12]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj